Mom of Girl Beaten Over Text Speaks Out

Her daughter is fighting for her life.

Josie Ratley, 15, was beaten and left in a coma ... all over a text message. Her family talks with "Today" and shares a warning for other parents.

Our thoughts go out to Josie's family, and we hope she has a full recovery.

next: Kids' Spending Affected by Recession Too
Lissa March 24, 2010, 1:09 PM

If that where my daughter. I would be in jall.

Valerie April 20, 2010, 7:09 PM

thats unreal. This shouldn’t be happening to children…
That Boy is evil..

Bri April 21, 2010, 1:37 PM

Evil, Valerie? the poor thing was grieving a family member. He obviously went too far, but the girl definately needed to smarten up.

victoria June 11, 2010, 3:39 PM

my brother committed suicide 3 years ago and i understand that feeling you have within the first year of losing a family member. however, that is no reason to beat a girl into a coma, no matter what she said. i had plenty of people say some low stuff to me about my brother and i would’ve never thought about doing that. at that point in time i was so numb i just wanted to be alone.

Bridget July 21, 2010, 9:45 AM

Josie Ratley is a bully. Make no mistake about it. Her text messages reveal her true inner awfulness. To taunt a boy who lost his brother and accuse him of being a rapist. If this poor boy had not acted out has he did, and instead killed himself in his grief over her taunts, the news reports would call her what she is - a bully. No one deserves to be beaten as she was, but she is no saint and should not be cannonized by the media. Nothing is one-sided - Nothing. I find statements of “just over a text message” truly alarming. Those text messages and e-mails and cyber bullying have caused children to take there own lives in their meanness and cruelty. This did not happen in a vacuum - and you certainly cannot demonize this boy for what happened. Should he suffer consequences? Absolutely. But so should she.

Ethelyn Nani August 14, 2010, 11:09 AM

I was wondering the same thing

Anthony M November 18, 2010, 7:44 AM

Not wanting to be a pest, but that girl deserved what she received. She had absolutely no reason to do what she did, and since she had to go that far she certainly deserved it.
The boy was wrong on his part too, which i wouldn’t disagree on.
-Anthony from demotivators

Maria November 23, 2010, 3:38 AM

That is just not right. Havent they heard stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. If we all beat people into comas over things like this people would be killing each other everyday. There is never an excuse for violence especially over a text. Maria car insurance comparison

Jimmy November 23, 2010, 7:23 AM

Some people are just born with a chip on their shoulder.Feeling sorry for those unfortunate enough to encounter and provoke them.
watch movies

ben November 23, 2010, 7:44 AM

This is all very unfortunate. I hope Josie makes a full recovery. Freezer Reviews

John November 23, 2010, 11:11 PM

That’s just insane - over a text message? Someone has some serious issues. Reseller Hosting Canada

Joesph Medalion November 27, 2010, 3:29 PM

wow, that is very good !

How To Snowboard November 27, 2010, 3:39 PM

I’m not sure who to blame here, is it a parent issue, is school responsible… what are we missing people? I don’t wanna go crazy and start blaming the video games but these are sociophobic reactions we’re seeing in young people, not even that - kids.

myegy November 27, 2010, 4:33 PM

thanks for great article
i just want to learn you now that you can download Arabic movies foreign movies songs clips software all free from myegy Myegy

Jamie November 27, 2010, 4:33 PM

Why people will resort to such thing is just beyond me? I hope she’ll have full recovery soon…
single moms

myegy November 27, 2010, 4:35 PM

شكرا لك على المقال الاكثر من رائع
يمكنك الان تحميل افلام عربى اجنبى العاب برامج اغانى من موقع ماى ايجى افضل موقع عربى
ماى ايجى

myegyforums November 27, 2010, 4:37 PM

شكرا لك على المقال الرائع واسمح لى بتعريفك على افضل واقوى موقع لتحميل احدث الافلام العربى والاجنبى والاغانى والبرامج والالعاب موقع ماى ايجى ورابطه ماى ايجى

Sally S. November 27, 2010, 5:21 PM

Such a tragic story!

George November 27, 2010, 8:25 PM

This news only shows how brutal this world is. People caught doing this things to other must be put behind bars for life. They dont deserve to be walking with peace loving people. My prayers for Josie and her family. I hope and pray that she will recover soon and have a better life ahead of her.
Virtual PBX

Paul November 28, 2010, 6:57 AM

Man what messed up. What is going on??