Mommy Bloggers Rise Up

Think you can turn your mommy blog into some serious cash? It's possible, but not likely.

mom using computer

Ronda Kaysen: The Mommy Blog is big business. What was once a place where lonely mothers gathered online to commiserate has become a serious endeavor, with some bloggers raking in real money.

Jennifer Mendelsohn, herself a blogger, penned a story in the Sunday Times about the rise of the mommy bloggers -- and the advertisers who love them.

Advertisers see a market to be tapped: moms who shop. Bloggers, meanwhile, see that their musings have financial muscle. Eager to get in on the action, these at-home entrepreneurs attend blogging seminars to learn how to make their sites more profitable and try to figure out how to parlay their writing talents into paying gigs.

But all good things come with a controversy, and this one centers around the bloggers who long for the days of yester-cyberyear when they enjoyed the online equivalent of the town potluck, sharing everything from yummy muffin recipes to potty-training foibles. Now, with cash entering the equation and new restrictions on how much bloggers must disclose about the goodies they peddle on their site, purists feel that something has been lost.

To the purists, I say: Get over it.

If women are figuring out how to turn writing into something lucrative, more power to them. Times are tough. We do what we can to bring more money home, and if that means hawking some company's wares or slapping a banner ad on the top of your site, then so be it.

The real dark spot in all this is the reality that only a small handful of women actually generate any substantial income from their sites. Most make nothing, a few make chump change and a small fraction of the bloggers can count on their site for real cash. Most of the bloggers who attended the Baltimore conference that Mendelsohn covered likely won't make anything from their blogs, despite all the handwringing.

next: I Wish I Was a Colonial Mom
Kat Wilder March 15, 2010, 3:36 PM

I don’t think the “real dark spot” is that most aren’t making money; I think the real dark spot is knowing if the mommies are being fair and accurate, or just writing glowing reviews because they got something for free.

If people are reading them for insight, it would be nice to know that they’re not feeling beholden to companies and advertisers. How do we know? And, shouldn’t we care?

Pamala March 15, 2010, 3:55 PM

Yeah sadly there are liars out there in the blogsphere that have made a living out of not being truthful. So that’s the downfall really.

I wish my blog made money, but sadly I can’t create the drama and lies that are needed to get that big.

黑帽SEO May 13, 2010, 1:17 AM

Nice

Christian Louboutin Shoes May 16, 2010, 9:13 PM

One again, your articles is very good.thank you!very much.

Elmer Gowler July 25, 2010, 10:12 PM

@Matt I totally agree with you

face cream October 22, 2010, 11:27 AM

posts are very nice.

bike sales October 22, 2010, 2:43 PM

this is sooo cool.

sales tips October 22, 2010, 7:57 PM

nice and thanks.

clothes sale October 22, 2010, 11:07 PM

hey good job man.

best facial cleanser October 26, 2010, 6:39 PM

this is really cool, I like here!

beyonce nude November 16, 2010, 4:45 PM

Thank you for your valuable information.

sales strategy December 1, 2010, 10:47 AM

WOW!!! Nice Post!Kind Regards

Poker Without Deposit Online December 15, 2010, 9:14 AM

Hi friends,I just read this project here, and I enjoy you are standing up with great writing!
kee up the hard work,Bye

No Deposit Poker Bonus February 10, 2011, 3:43 PM

I liked your work here, you are contributing with knowledge!
you shoul see my page at http://www.freepokermoneynodepositbonus.com/ about No Deposit Poker Bonus

MBTS sale March 2, 2011, 8:53 PM

This MBT shoes sale may be the day time inside the next theater of war sniper That correct after Chinese language courses and foreign, cruel, who burst out inside the accomplish regrettably fell in to the pockets of awesome leaves, and leaf choose a whole large amount of awesome equipment back, including Wand, machetes, Aimee Gun, as well as the Han emperor of boxing gloves are actually awesome to choose a leaf to go. So awesome handbook leaves out money for just about any reason, he has pressed the equipment boxes, although not extremely good, at least, may be also a sell.

Gucci shoes March 3, 2011, 9:10 PM

Folks today generate their particular values inside goods, just like several little finger shoes or boots, elegant Nike shoes or boots and in addition cheap mbt shoes or boots. They will not merely help make these kinds of shoes or boots way of trend, but in addition make an effort to cause them to become problem a lot more concerning individual well being.

amazon.com March 11, 2011, 8:16 PM

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

Slide Scanning Services March 16, 2011, 7:41 PM

Having just been browsing forinformative websites for the research project I’ve been working on when I happened to find yours. Thanks for this great content! — Slide Scanning Services