Mo'Nique Doesn't Shave Her Legs ... Do You?

C'mon, moms, fess up!

"Precious" star Mo'Nique confessed to Barbara Walters that she doesn't shave her legs. She did it once in her life and vowed never to do it again.

monique

When we asked momlogic readers how long they've gone without shaving their legs, hundreds responded. Here are some of their comments:

My poor husband -- I go months at a time without shaving. I have blond hair so it's very difficult to see those prickly little buggers. LOL! I almost always wear jeans even in the summer, so I rarely ever shave. The longest I have gone is around seven or eight months -- during pregnancy of course! -- Jodi W.

I went almost six months without shaving. I agree, it is not that noticeable. The only place that it was noticeable was when I did not shave my armpits. That was sort of a dare given to me by my fiancĂ©. I did that for about four out of the six months, and then I realized that it was not my cup of tea. -- Tonya

I usually go from September through May without shaving! The summertime is when I show my legs off anyway. -- Deanna

I shave every day! I'm not a hairy person but stubble on my legs is not cute! The longest I've gone without shaving was two weeks, but not because I didn't want to! I went on a hiking expedition without a store in sight and I forgot to pack a razor ... oops! Thank goodness for pants and long socks. After the trip was over I went straight home for a hot shower and a new razor blade -- my legs never felt so smooth! -- Tabatha

I traveled around following the Grateful Dead and Phish -- had dreadlocks and the whole bit. Probably didn't shave for two to three years. But I am a hairy beast and need to shave daily, or close to it. -- Tara

When I was pregnant I couldn't see my legs over my huge tummy so it was like four months that I didn't shave my legs! -- Janice

What's the longest YOU'VE gone without shaving your legs?

next: Teen Lured Mom's Boyfriend to Parking Lot, Fatally Stabbed Him
Anonymous March 6, 2010, 3:29 AM

i just vomitted

appleloving32 March 6, 2010, 6:16 AM

Who cares!!! My boyfriend thinks the same with me. He- is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at- A_ge_m_i_n_g_le @ c-o—m a nice and free place for Younger- Women and Older Men, or Older Women and Younger Men, to- interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or- tell your friends.

Shannon March 6, 2010, 6:19 AM

LOL! I use to shave everyday (arms & legs) because I just don’t like hair even though my hair grows in really fine & because I worked in a bar with very lil clothing (Hooters). Moving on then I settled down & now I shave about every other day sometime every 3 days. Oh & for the last 2 moths that my husbands been out of town for work I wouldn’t shave until the day he got home, lol! PS when I was pregnant I still managed to shave up until I delivered just took me a lot longer since I got effing HUGE. Oh I also shave myself bald down there since I’m too chicken to wax! I wasn’t able to shave my vajayjay after about 7 months of pregnancy & next go around I will probably get it waxed before I go into labor. All that hair down there is gross & unbearable if you get an episotomy on the top & bottom of vag & still rip… Lots of stitches & hair don’t mix during healing!

Anonymous March 6, 2010, 7:00 AM

For the most shaving for women was not a common practice until the 20th century. It came into fashion with the shortening of women’s dresses especially by the 1920s. If you ask me shaving is more of a fashion than anything else. I don’t take issue with shaving one way or the other, I don’t do it at all, but that’s just me. I don’t feel like waisting the time shaving. My husband doesn’t care either. I wasn’t raised to shave though. I was a tomboy and my mother didn’t know what to do with that.

Amber March 6, 2010, 9:14 AM

Maybe once or twice a week. I wear jeans all year, yes even in summer, so no one ever sees my legs except my husband and he couldnt care less.

Gail Cooke March 6, 2010, 10:08 AM

I don’t shave my legs all the time, but there’s always a point where I start feeling like Chewbacca…at the point I have to shave them…it starts to creep me out.

Anonymous March 6, 2010, 10:23 AM

not shaving makes ME uncomfortable and feel un sexy. I try to shave at least everyother day now that Im chasing a crawling baby around I dont have the time to shave everyday. I did shave everyday while pregant and even my husband teased me saying he didnt mind if I skipped it. So I guess its all in my head that I NEED to in order to be sexy lol.

Pamala March 6, 2010, 10:53 AM

I don’t shave, never really have. But out of respect for my doctors, if I’m going in for a pap or any exams like that I shave. Otherwise I don’t. I don’t feel any need to do it, it’s just a fashion thing and my hubby loves me whether I do it or not and who else am I supposed to be impressing? That being said I don’t subject people to my hairy legs either, I always wear pants.

hairygirl March 6, 2010, 11:54 AM

I shaved once when I was 17 and thought f*** this s***—I have better things to do with my time and my body. Thank god there are plenty of men out there who really don’t care about superficial crap like whether or not a woman shaves. go mo-nique!

melissa March 6, 2010, 11:57 AM

I have been using one of those pads that you rub on your legs to get the hair off. It works really well, so I don’t shave my legs anymore. It’s awesome. Before I bought them, I shaved about once every two weeks. I have three kids and it was too hard to shave everyday.

Shawnee March 6, 2010, 4:09 PM

I never shave my legs ever. My legs are hairless like those freaky cats.

Lisa Pembleton March 6, 2010, 4:27 PM

I don’t shave everyday, but that is just gross!

aBcqKxi March 6, 2010, 7:26 PM

rIjaoDFu

Anonymous March 6, 2010, 8:23 PM

I am not a hairy girl so with that I have never shaved my legs or my underarms. My husband has no complaints either.

AnarchoRationalist March 6, 2010, 11:25 PM

Expecting women to shave their body hair is a form of sexual repression.

Sarah March 6, 2010, 11:28 PM

I’m a 25 year old woman who tends to not care about shaving her legs… especially since there’s not much sunshine here in the northwest in the winter. Sometimes I go six weeks or so… I don’t get incredibly hairy, but at about a month, it’s too much. I’ve never actually timed it.

floops March 6, 2010, 11:55 PM

Discusting… Sexy legs are not hairy legs. And if shaving is such a problem, please don’t wear anything that exposes hairy sections on the body. Highly unattractive

Sue Cooke March 7, 2010, 12:03 AM

I am 59 years old. The last time I shaved I was 18 - so what’s that- 41 years. My college roommate used to wax herself…everywhere. Now THAT was gross. I figured out real young that I don’t see men doing body altering things to themselves to attract girls - why should I shave for them. No man thinks twice about shaving or not shaving and there were plenty of beards and long hair on the guys in 1970 too. I am proud of Mo’Nique for being a self confident young woman who doesn’t need outside validation about how beautiful, smart and talented she is.

XMVXyrM March 7, 2010, 12:24 AM

vVNfmFy

Doing my own thing March 7, 2010, 12:53 AM

I’m 24 and haven’t shaved since I started college when I was 18. I’m reasonably hairy for a girl too. I remember my mother telling me that I would never have a boyfriend if I didn’t shave. Both of the long term relationships that I’ve had since I quit haven’t seemed to care much.

Other random people have had much more negative reactions so I generally keep my legs and arm pits covered. I’ve also been told by some that they admire the self-confidence required. Personally, I do find the cultural bias toward shaving repressive and wish that the fashion would move on.