My Kid Is a Sore Loser

My kid is a true competitor, and we used to think it was cute. Not anymore.

Young girl screaming in soccer field

Guest blogger Bethany Sanders: When she was 3, it was kind of cute. My daughter would say, "Let's race!" Then she'd make us stand and watch while she ran ahead, ponytails bouncing, only yelling "GO!" once she had an unbeatable head start.

My kid has always hated to lose. And for a long time, we indulged her by letting her win almost every game we played.

But then one day during a playdate, I saw her pull it with an easygoing neighborhood friend. No matter what they were playing together, my kiddo manipulated the situation so that she always had the upper hand and her friend was the underdog. I'd modeled the "good loser" for her many times, but it was that day that I realized she needed a little actual experience losing.

So I quit letting her win. No more letting her peek at cards during Candy Land. No more looking away while she skipped over that big "chute" on the Chutes and Ladders board that takes you back to the beginning of the game. For a while, I would still sometimes cheat to lose -- not stealing her piece in Trouble, for instance. But over the last year or so, I've let those kinds of things fall away, too.

And you know what? Not only is she a better person for it, she's a better player, too.

The first couple of times she lost were hard -- she was used to winning, after all. She even went through a stage where, if she saw she was losing, she'd want to quit in the middle of the game. But those moments gave us an opportunity for good conversation on why we play games (they're fun!) and how to be a good sport. At 7, she still can't stand losing, but she can handle it with grace.

Interestingly, she's also a lot harder to beat. The first time she trumped me fair and square at Sorry, I realized that just giving her my "B" game wasn't good enough. So when we play games now, we play for real. She got a checkers set for Christmas, and it annoys her to no end that she's yet to win a game. But when we played last weekend, she got a couple of legitimately good moves in on me -- a double jump, even, the little stinker. Each time she loses, she learns a little more.

This month, she's taking part for the third time in her school's read-a-thon, a fundraising competition that's really hard to win. She got third place in preschool. Last year, she didn't even come close, but as luck would have it she won a bike -- a bike! -- in the raffle that followed. Where's the lesson in that, I ask you?

This year, we wanted to take the emphasis off of trying to beat the other kids and focus on self-improvement instead. With our guidance, she set a personal goal to meet, a number of books she wants to read over the course of a month. If she reaches her goal, we'll pay her a nickel per book as a reward. With the focus off competition, she's way less stressed about it and is reading more than ever.

I'm pretty sure that little tiger's secretly hoping to win, though.

Do you have a competitive kid? How far do you let them take it?

next: Swap It!
Hannah April 7, 2010, 2:04 PM

My great-grandmother used to play chess with my dad every weekend night. She never let him win. She’d give him hints like “are you sure you want to make that move” or things like that but she never let him win. He never did win a chess game with her. But he says those are his best memories. Just sitting with her drinking rootbeer floats and playing chess.
My parents alway wanted us to be ok with losing. They never made a big deal if we lost. Only saying well you’ve learned something (when the other player did a move or something we’d never seen) for next time. I remember feeling disappointed when i lost things but i always congratulated the winner. I was happy for them even though i was sad i lost. The only time i ever remember crying because i lost (and this was when i was 9 and i was crying not pitching a fit. i wasnt angry i was sad) was the year that the football team that i was a cheerleader for didn’t win a single game that season. And i was more crying because i had some friend in the team that were really upset. We were always taught you win some you lose some. Kids should learn that at a young age. It’s good for them to understand the world doesnt revolve around them and they will not always be the best at what they do.

Maria November 23, 2010, 3:22 AM

Theres nothing wrong with kids losing every once in a while. Its good to get there confidence up as in if your playing tennis with a 7 year old obviously you not going to go all out as the poor kid wont be able to return 1 shot. But if you play a bit above there level and make themn work for it then they will improve. Its part of growing up as long as you have fun thats the main thing. Maria iherb coupon

dands December 2, 2010, 7:13 AM

I agree with Maria. Very wise, balanced comment :)
sukienki

Helosboing December 17, 2010, 11:42 PM

I rather choose to rent something that to buy it. I can use my money for something else that buy the things that i dont really need. So, im happy they make a business like this. play bingo

Anonymous December 19, 2010, 12:29 AM

I know bout this from my friend. He know that I always like to dancxe. I cant control my body everytime I heard a good music everywhere. My body move by itself and that is feels so good. North Carolina motorcycle accident attorney

BeggyWush December 29, 2010, 5:59 AM

Having an adroid system is good. But not mean that you will have a good thing to use that. Its just the same. People crazy bout this coz this is the brand new application and they want to know what its all about. Chicago bar & clubs deals

Invitation December 30, 2010, 1:50 AM

He will make a nother concert in his 25 years in the music industry. He is old in age but he is younger in music. That is why I still adore him and still like all the music he have. Christmas Photo Cards

yuma December 30, 2010, 3:12 AM

My son is a great pleasure for me. I believe someday he will become success in business and his job. I think he’s creative. butik baju impor murah

Anonymous December 30, 2010, 3:14 AM

My friend said that not easy to have baby. I think she’s right, many things that we must thinking before decide to pregnant and have baby. orlando dentist

nania December 30, 2010, 3:21 AM

My friend said that not easy to have baby. Many things that we must thinking before decide to pregnant and have a baby. Yeah, she’s right..! orlando dentist

bingo December 31, 2010, 1:28 AM

I absolutly agree with this article. There are several things that you cant change in your business. This will make people feel hommy with your business coz they already know the rules in anything. bingo

Anonymous January 3, 2011, 8:53 PM

To know about girl is interesting, I love to read everything about girl. I think girl kids always have a new thing to do. test adn

Anonymous January 13, 2011, 6:09 AM

I agree with you, your girl so cute and full of energy, I like her! I believe she will grow up became a good girl likes her mother:) Pokies Slot Machines

Lavone Dunay January 13, 2011, 7:08 PM

Hello. splendid job. I did not imagine this. This is a excellent story. Thanks!

dugbolinger001 January 14, 2011, 11:57 AM

It is very good to know about your personal experience. You did a fantastic job which make your child a great fighter. It is not obvious that someone has always win and to absorb loss sometimes is a great virtue.

Dubai Wills

Horace Brigner January 14, 2011, 9:35 PM

Hello.This post was extremely interesting, particularly since I was searching for thoughts on this topic last couple of days.

RendyVilla January 18, 2011, 5:44 AM

All the musician in this show will show you the best thing that they have. They have a good talent and wait until the producer see something that they have. If they can do that, maybe the produser will ask them to join in their business. Homeowners Association Charlotte

Sharon January 18, 2011, 4:53 PM

You have noted very interesting details ! ps decent web site .

Fire Prevention January 19, 2011, 6:11 AM

That is really interesting, You are an overly professional blogger. I’ve joined your feed and sit up for in search of more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

Natural Breast Enlargement January 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

It’s onerous to search out knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you already know what you’re talking about! Thanks