Ouch! My Daughter Got Stitches

I've gone nine years without any of my daredevil kids needing stitches ... until last night.

girl with stitches in her forehead

momlogic's Julie: Last night, my 6-year-old daughter was practicing her moves for the upcoming Daddy-Daughter Dance at her school. She had on her fanciest dress and brand-new shoes. She did a big twirl in the living room and tripped over something on the floor. Seconds later, she went face-first into a cabinet and blood started shooting everywhere.

I saw the huge gash on her head and screamed for my husband. In the next three minutes, I made an ice pack, tried to find her insurance card (WHY don't I always have it in the same place?!), called the on-call pediatrician and was put on hold (OF COURSE), changed out of my pajama pants into a pair of jeans, Googled the address of the ER and rushed everyone out the door -- all while my daughter was screaming bloody murder.

Once we got to the ER, I recalled the article on momlogic about getting a plastic surgeon for stitches. Did we need one?

After waiting well over an hour to be seen, I was told that it would take another hour for the on-call plastic surgeon to get there, and it wouldn't be covered by insurance. Since my daughter's cut was right above the eyebrow and only needed four stitches, the doctor said she didn't think it would leave a scar. She assured me she had been doing sutures for more than 45 years and that her work was meticulous. I was unsure about what to do, but I went with my gut. I had her do the stitches. If the cut had been any bigger -- or in the middle of my daughter's forehead -- I would have insisted on a plastic surgeon. I hope I made the right decision.

They only allowed one parent to be with my daughter during the procedure; after a few minutes back there with me, my daughter wanted her daddy -- I got the boot. That meant that my husband got to be with her while a shot was injected straight into her wound (OUCH!). He said her screaming the most bloodcurdling he's ever heard.

After she was all done, she got whatever she wanted for dinner: a big 7-Eleven Slurpee and Chinese food. This morning, she said that the best part about getting stitches was going to be showing her Band-Aid to her friends at school. She said it made her look tough.

I told my husband that I wished I could turn back time so she would have never had the accident or required stitches. But he said that then she wouldn't be a normal kid.

Have YOUR kids ever needed stitches? Do they still have a scar? I'd love to hear from other moms who've been there.

next: Puppies in a Box!
Kathy March 1, 2010, 1:46 PM

I have 4 kids and all but the last have had stitches, none more than once. My last is the biggest scaredy cat of all (17 yrs old) and I think it’s because he’s never been through a trauma so he doesn’t know that it’s not really as bad as it seems ( I’m talking minor stuff like your daughter’s)
I was one of 4 kids and had stitches 4 times before I was 5 yrs old (2 head wounds,chin, and 1 finger cut off) and I am super tough and the calmest during traumas in part I think because of it. I also loved showing off my “bandages” like your daughter. I think it’s worse for the parents!!

Anonymous March 1, 2010, 2:57 PM

I have two children my oldest who is 8 had to get stitches when he was 18 months he feel into the coffee table and required 4 stitches right above his left eye in his eyebrow and yes he does have a scar my youngest who is 4 she had stitches when she was 3 years old she feel and cut herself right above her lip it required 3 stitches and just by glancing at her u can not see the scar but if u get up close and really look then yes she does also have a scar. Getting my sons stitches taken out was very quick and easy my daughter on the other hand was very very painful and difficult… Good luck to you

Laura Lybrand March 1, 2010, 3:55 PM

I have 6 kids (one of whom actually had to be taught to be aware of pain) and they have all been stitched, stapled or glued back together several times. With a busy household and normally active kids (and not nearly enough bubble wrap) injuries will happen. Yes, some left scars. My kids each have a “favorite” scar story.

Casey May 21, 2010, 10:53 PM

Yes! No stitches but my 18 mos old had Dermabond done on a cut on his cheek. They say it will scar, w/ or w/out stitches. What’s a Mom to do???

Eric December 29, 2010, 4:21 AM

Ouch that hurts!!!
Americas best eye care

Casino Online December 29, 2010, 11:26 AM

Your SEO site is top-notch I will have to read it all, thank you for the diversion from my professors!

auto centro ofertas January 14, 2011, 10:58 AM

I usually don’t normally post on many Blogs, however I just has to say thank you for Ouch! My Daughter Got Stitches | momlogic.com… keep up the amazing work. Ok regrettably its time to get to school.

casa gala panama January 14, 2011, 3:11 PM

As a Freshman, I am always exploring online for articles that can help me get further ahead.

Dietas Saludables January 17, 2011, 10:03 AM

There is plain a lot for me to study outside of my course. I really have to say thank you for the marvelous read.

mitral valve January 18, 2011, 10:27 PM

I retributory couldn’t going your website before locution that I truly suchlike this article. there’s a peachy chance to get a perfect concept in your purpose. the grade entropy you message to your visitors
best gas grill

Panama City Panama Hotels January 27, 2011, 4:48 PM

I usually don’t commonly post on many Blogs, however I just has to say thank you for Ouch! My Daughter Got Stitches | momlogic.com… keep up the amazing work. Ok regrettably its time to get to school.

Panama City Panama Hotels January 27, 2011, 6:40 PM

There is apparently much for me to learn outside of my course. Thanks for the tremendous read.

Hotel El Panama January 29, 2011, 7:47 AM

As a Newbie, I am always researching online for articles that can help me get further ahead.

Hotel Veneto February 2, 2011, 5:27 PM

Superb post on %BLOGTITLE% - and nifty domain by the way!

Tomiko Trogstad February 18, 2011, 2:03 PM

I cannot thank you more than enough for the posts on your site. I know you set a lot of time and effort into all of them and really hope you know how deeply I enjoy it. I hope I’ll do something identical for another individual at some point.

Galerias de Chicas February 26, 2011, 11:16 PM

Me English no better, but had to say me like what you say. Thank you from Panama.

Pizza Panama February 27, 2011, 3:16 PM

Thanks for the enlightening read! Okay playtime is over and back to my course work.

amazon offers March 9, 2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the entertaining read! O.k. downtime is over and back to my studies.

BioBasics March 17, 2011, 6:46 PM

well since your e-mail didnt work, guessing this is comment spam. Have allowed because of your nice comments. However, ALL BEWARE, I am checking comments and getting rid of comment spam, so, really go somewhere else please.

Anonymous March 20, 2011, 12:34 AM

Exploited with mere situations is noise difficult and I cogitate we copulate to be real convinced in management with nominative situations. Fascinating things mentioned here in this flyer. Convey you
funny jokes