Outrage: Deadly Custody Ruling

We first told you about the murder-suicide of a 9-month-old boy and his father that had tragically been posted on Facebook. Now there is outrage over the San Bernardino County, Calif. judge's ruling in the contentious custody battle.

oustephen garcia and wyatt

Gina Kaysen Fernandes: The baby's mother, Katie Tagle, and a large group of protesters held a rally this week outside the Victorville Superior Courthouse calling for Judge Robert Lemkau's resignation.

Katie believed she had all the evidence she needed when she went to court in January to protect her son, Wyatt. The 23-year-old mother filed an emergency restraining order against her ex-boyfriend, Stephen Garcia, because he had threatened to kill their baby and himself.

Katie presented Judge Lemkau with the threatening e-mails and text messages she received from Garcia. "[Lemkau] was my last hope," Katie told the Victorville Daily Press. "I really thought I had it. I thought he was going to see the evidence and give me the restraining order."

But Judge Lemkau flatly denied Katie's request and accused her of lying.

That night, Katie reluctantly handed over Wyatt to his father, in compliance with his court-ordered visitation. "I had to do it," she told reporters. "I didn't want to get in trouble. I didn't want to get Wyatt fully taken away from me." Ten days later, authorities found the bodies of 25-year-old Garcia and his son on an isolated mountain trail.

"It's really a tragedy," says Karen Borders, of the consulting firm Borders, McLaughlin & Associates. "I think there were definite risk factors that people missed." Borders -- a former police officer and trained abuse-investigator -- is also a domestic-violence survivor who experienced a bitter custody dispute with her own ex-husband. She says custody cases are the most volatile, yet many family court judges are out of touch and uninformed. "Unfortunately, there are a lot of judges who don't have enough information or training to discern between high-conflict and high-risk cases," she says.

A judge often relies on the advice of court-appointed advocates to make critical decisions about a child's future. Borders argues that many of those family advocates have the minimum training hours required. "You can't just look at the bull's-eye, you have to look at the whole picture," Borders tells momlogic. She says that, by assembling a team of highly trained investigators, mental-health professionals and risk assessors, families can achieve a solution quickly and safeguard their children's lives.

In a court hearing, Judge Lemkau told Katie, "I deeply apologize for my comments to you." In his two-minute statement, the judge explained how he could not foresee at the time when she asked for a restraining order what would happen.

Borders is not surprised by the harsh condemnation of Judge Lemkau. "I think more people are starting to rebel against the courts," she says. "They're losing their life savings, their lives and their children's lives. They're fed up."

next: High School, Chrysler Reach Deal Over Logo
Hoyer lift February 27, 2011, 1:23 PM

Gratss for this article

Emeline Glawson February 27, 2011, 1:31 PM

Good work man

erken rezervasyon February 27, 2011, 1:50 PM

Come and make money. Make money with this way. With this website..

firmy remontowe łódź February 27, 2011, 3:28 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Conchita Comer February 27, 2011, 7:02 PM

Good work man

Wynajem Autokarów February 28, 2011, 4:52 PM

This informal summary helped me a lot! Saved the site, extremely excellent categories everywhere that I see here! I appreciate the info, thank you.

Clickbank Directory February 28, 2011, 5:50 PM

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your site in internet explorer, would check this… IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of men and women will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.

Trustable site February 28, 2011, 7:31 PM

Due to numerous cultural, social, and religious reasons, a video game, already released in some places and that looks completely fine in one place might be disregarded as unacceptable somewhere else. This is one of the reasons why video game localization - contrary to just straight translation - is extremely important for computer and consoles games.
but as long as you get paid!

Buy Camcorders cheap March 1, 2011, 8:06 AM

My husband and i ended up being really glad when Jordan could carry out his basic research with the precious recommendations he got through the web site. It is now and again perplexing to just always be releasing concepts that many some others might have been selling. And we all do know we now have the writer to give thanks to for that. Those explanations you have made, the simple site menu, the friendships you help instill - it’s got mostly extraordinary, and it’s really helping our son and us consider that that issue is cool, which is certainly extraordinarily vital. Many thanks for all!

Lora Kratky March 2, 2011, 1:38 AM

Great post! Why not add some more pics to make your post look realistic

sprzątanie mieszkań March 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

It is really a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Altagracia Norise March 3, 2011, 5:23 AM

What consequence, if any, do pets have on older adults? Can a furry good friend inside the house counteract the feelings of lonliness and reduced blood pressure?

justin bieber March 3, 2011, 11:30 AM

Very good post and interesting topic, too bad that this very brief has loaded. Greatings

Swisher Sweets Cigars March 3, 2011, 12:32 PM

A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.

tattoo schriften March 3, 2011, 6:22 PM

Great write up, I helps you to save this post during my Del.icio.us account. Have a great evening.

Recommended coding March 3, 2011, 9:06 PM

although I’m sure you’re not expecting to be a director

Preferido Cigars March 4, 2011, 12:26 AM

Wanted: Meaningful overnight relationship.

chat March 4, 2011, 7:02 AM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

mieszkania poznan sprzedaz March 4, 2011, 7:29 AM

Excellent journal! I really like how it is smooth on my eyes and also the information are well scripted. I am wondering how I might be informed whenever a newborn mail has been successful. I have signed to your rss feed which must perform the trick! By!

sünger bob OYUNLARI March 4, 2011, 10:02 AM