Outrage: Deadly Custody Ruling

We first told you about the murder-suicide of a 9-month-old boy and his father that had tragically been posted on Facebook. Now there is outrage over the San Bernardino County, Calif. judge's ruling in the contentious custody battle.

oustephen garcia and wyatt

Gina Kaysen Fernandes: The baby's mother, Katie Tagle, and a large group of protesters held a rally this week outside the Victorville Superior Courthouse calling for Judge Robert Lemkau's resignation.

Katie believed she had all the evidence she needed when she went to court in January to protect her son, Wyatt. The 23-year-old mother filed an emergency restraining order against her ex-boyfriend, Stephen Garcia, because he had threatened to kill their baby and himself.

Katie presented Judge Lemkau with the threatening e-mails and text messages she received from Garcia. "[Lemkau] was my last hope," Katie told the Victorville Daily Press. "I really thought I had it. I thought he was going to see the evidence and give me the restraining order."

But Judge Lemkau flatly denied Katie's request and accused her of lying.

That night, Katie reluctantly handed over Wyatt to his father, in compliance with his court-ordered visitation. "I had to do it," she told reporters. "I didn't want to get in trouble. I didn't want to get Wyatt fully taken away from me." Ten days later, authorities found the bodies of 25-year-old Garcia and his son on an isolated mountain trail.

"It's really a tragedy," says Karen Borders, of the consulting firm Borders, McLaughlin & Associates. "I think there were definite risk factors that people missed." Borders -- a former police officer and trained abuse-investigator -- is also a domestic-violence survivor who experienced a bitter custody dispute with her own ex-husband. She says custody cases are the most volatile, yet many family court judges are out of touch and uninformed. "Unfortunately, there are a lot of judges who don't have enough information or training to discern between high-conflict and high-risk cases," she says.

A judge often relies on the advice of court-appointed advocates to make critical decisions about a child's future. Borders argues that many of those family advocates have the minimum training hours required. "You can't just look at the bull's-eye, you have to look at the whole picture," Borders tells momlogic. She says that, by assembling a team of highly trained investigators, mental-health professionals and risk assessors, families can achieve a solution quickly and safeguard their children's lives.

In a court hearing, Judge Lemkau told Katie, "I deeply apologize for my comments to you." In his two-minute statement, the judge explained how he could not foresee at the time when she asked for a restraining order what would happen.

Borders is not surprised by the harsh condemnation of Judge Lemkau. "I think more people are starting to rebel against the courts," she says. "They're losing their life savings, their lives and their children's lives. They're fed up."

next: High School, Chrysler Reach Deal Over Logo
OYUNLAR1 March 4, 2011, 10:23 AM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

seo danışmanI March 4, 2011, 11:50 AM

Olinda Cavers March 4, 2011, 1:03 PM

快速办理国际驾照.真实国际驾驶ID卡-通用180多个国家

kanserin belirtileri March 4, 2011, 1:17 PM

Graciela Josephpauline March 4, 2011, 1:54 PM

Corporate Clothing is a must for anyone wanting to make the correct statement when visiting a client. This statement could quite easily be the differance betweeen you and someone else getting the deal.

derya baykal March 4, 2011, 4:38 PM

antalya escort March 4, 2011, 7:57 PM

Kandy Reffner March 4, 2011, 8:46 PM

[…] I dont know what to do! The Scottish Bureau of Investigation: Gone fishing the Lewis Groups debt collection techniques | BitterWallet Gutter Tactics! […]

Tim Lundblad March 5, 2011, 6:52 AM

I follow threads and blogs.Love to post and comments.There are lot of stuff of me and hoping to receive as well from you.

güzellik March 5, 2011, 12:16 PM

psychic readings March 5, 2011, 8:16 PM

Great post. Thanks for sharing

cigars March 5, 2011, 8:47 PM

Double your drive space. Delete Windows!

Buford Anitok March 5, 2011, 10:02 PM

Je pensais à ton theme, est il personnalisé ? Il est bien.

Monroe Crofts March 5, 2011, 11:36 PM

I love getting great deals on different things. I visit slickdeals and spoofee on a consistent basis and have gotten some pretty slick deals :O)

Slots UK March 6, 2011, 6:23 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Caterina Lemmons March 6, 2011, 6:59 AM

Owning a pet cat or any pet for example can add years to your life. Most certainly into your ripe old age I guess. A research I found somewhere.

is ilanlari March 6, 2011, 9:20 AM

sifali bitkiler March 6, 2011, 9:27 AM

Padron Anniversario 1964 March 6, 2011, 3:25 PM

The sooner you fall behind the more time you’ll have to catch up.

Luigi Fulk March 7, 2011, 5:29 AM

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!