Pregnant Women Are Smug

It's funny 'cause it's kind of true!

Yeah, some of us did tend to go a little overboard when we had a baby on board. This hilarious song reminded us of those proud and pregnant days.

next: Never, Ever Let Your Husband Touch You
Anonymous March 16, 2010, 7:31 AM

I love this duo and have seen them live! A LOT of pregnant women are smug (I wasn’t, but had many friends who turned into smug pregnants). I send this to all my newly pregnant friends to warn them not to turn into this. SO funny and unfortunately true in some cases. And I too do not see ANY correlation between admitting what sex you prefer the child to be and it being healthy - 2 different questions.

Robin March 16, 2010, 8:07 AM

That is funny. When I was pregnant if I stated any preference on gender my mom would jump in with “But it doesn’t matter as long as it’s healthy!” and then glare at me. It’s like they think it’s and incantation and if you don’t say it you’ll jinx the baby or something.

Bev March 16, 2010, 8:44 AM

I was always loud and proud about wanting a boy first while the “as long as it’s healhty” moms looked at me like I was the devil.

Jennifer March 16, 2010, 11:47 AM

You hipster baby haters just need an outlet to funnel your jealousy because your life is so unfulfilled.

I think I will write a song about how awful your hack job hair cut is and how much it looks like a little boys cut to make me feel better.

Ava March 16, 2010, 12:26 PM

Oh Me thinks Jennifer is a bit sad about being a mom!! I have 3 wonderful kids, so I’m far from a hater, and a lot of pregant women are smug. AND they are 100% right about the “it doesn’t matter as long as its healthy line”. Probably hit a little to close to home for Jen!

Black Iris March 16, 2010, 3:46 PM

Come on, if you ask a silly question, you get a silly answer. When you’re pregnant, everybody asks you the same questions - of course, you’re going to give them a cliched response.

Black Iris March 16, 2010, 3:49 PM

Overall, I think the song is obnoxious and the singers sound jealous. You’re only pregnant nine months, go ahead and enjoy it!!! Making a baby is creative, it’s important, and it does make other things seem trivial. Let’s be glad mothers want to do it.

Linda March 16, 2010, 4:59 PM

Why didn’t anyone comment yet on the fact that the left girl is from Scrubs?! She plays the Gooch, Ted’s girlfriend, doesn’t she?

Sorry Jennifer, but in my book, if you land a gig in Scrubs, play the Ukelele ├índ write a kickass funny song, it doesn’t matter what your hair looks like.
That said, I actually like her hair :P suits her face!

PS. how is making a baby creative?!? (aside from choosing a ‘starting position’)

LNR March 16, 2010, 10:23 PM

Ha! That was hysterical! I can’t believe there are moms on here getting offended. I am a mom times two, and had a million people ask me my gender preference. When I said I really wanted a girl, people were always a little horrified, esp. other pregnant moms. This song hits the nail on the head! I had my moments of smugness I’m sure, but I can laugh at myself.

Leah March 17, 2010, 4:46 AM

Linda - Huge scrubs fan here - Garfunkel and Oates actually pre-dates scrubs though - everyone should check out their other songs - so so funny. I too think her hair is super cute.

And while child birth is “amazing” to the pregnant woman, it’s really just biology. If everything before childbirth is trivial to someone seems to me they just made some poor life choices. And just for the record I was totally telling everyone I wanted a boy.

Anonymous Mom March 17, 2010, 7:28 AM

LOL - this is hilarious! I have to admit, I was guilty of some of these when I was pregnant, at least the “as long as it’s healthy” line. I feel I should go back and apologize to my friends for being so…well, SMUG!

Cheryl March 17, 2010, 8:10 AM

I thought it was kinda funny. I don’t get the smugness of the “as long as it is healthy” thing though. I had the priviledge of having a severely ill child, honestly I did not care if I had a boy or girl, I just wanted healthy.

Shelly June 10, 2010, 1:51 PM

Too funny!!

leedevious July 5, 2010, 10:28 PM

HA. jennifer is displaying exactly what they’re talking about.

Yoko Dice July 25, 2010, 10:12 PM

@Mike You make a great point

ToSirWithLove September 7, 2010, 10:11 PM

There is no reason for women from first-world countries to have children considering we can’t get women from third-world countries to stop. The suffering in this world is unforgivable.

Pregnant women have nothing to be smug about; it’s overcompensation for how ridiculous and selfish they look.

I think many people have kids because they do not ACTUALLY get along well with others and want a human to possess for a while. It’s sick.

What rational reason IS there to procreate?

Once the kids are out, these women park their prams on the sidewalks. Selfish through and through.

ToSirWithLove September 7, 2010, 10:12 PM

What rational reason IS there to procreate?

Jayme September 21, 2010, 8:39 PM

“ToSirWithLove”, did someone pee pee in your cheerios today?

As for those of you who got MAD over this song…lmfao, YOU are who they were making fun of anyway.

cost of abortion February 9, 2011, 5:02 AM

I needed to write you a very little observation so as to thank you very much again regarding the marvelous principles you’ve provided above. It has been quite extremely open-handed of people like you to provide extensively what exactly a lot of folks would’ve supplied as an e book to help with making some bucks for their own end, principally considering the fact that you could have done it in the event you desired. These solutions likewise worked to become great way to know that other people online have similar dreams like my very own to know the truth more concerning this problem. I’m certain there are millions of more fun moments ahead for those who start reading your website.

Immobilier Bretagne March 7, 2011, 12:44 PM

I was very pleased to seek out this internet-site.I needed to thanks to your time for this excellent learn!! I undoubtedly having fun with every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.