It's OK for 11-Year-Olds to 'Date'!

If a little tween love can keep my 11-year-old godson from B.O. and tardiness, then I am all for it!

boy looking at girl

Ashlee HollandToday, right here on momlogic.com, I read a great post about 11-year-olds datingI could not believe the statistics! Although my son is only 8 and completely oblivious to girls, my godson is 11 and going full-speed-ahead with his "relationship." As the post states, he does not fully comprehend what a "healthy relationship" is, but he IS learning. One thing he does understand is EXACTLY how to impress a girl and keep her interested.

I am not really a fan of him having a girlfriend at 11, but I am a fan of him WANTING to shower on a regular basis, and use deodorant. He is the type of young man you once had to tackle to put lotion on. Not anymore!

This "girlfriend" is actually having a very positive effect on him. Yesterday he asked me if he could head to school a little early. "How early?" I asked. He wanted to leave at 7:50 in order to get to school by 8:00. WHAT?! He is usually still getting the crust out of his eyes by then -- and I am lucky if he brushes his teeth at all!

I know my godson too well: He was up to something. He had woken up before everyone, showered, fixed himself breakfast and was ready to go. Having other kids around, I quickly found out he was meeting a GIRL! This was their time to hang out. I can't blame the kid for sacrificing sleep or early-morning Xbox to make time for his girlfriend! MEN, take note!

Can parents really be bothered if a little "relationship" starts to bring out the best in their kids? How can I possibly get upset about this puppy love if it is keeping him from smelling like a wet dog?

The things we often preach to our kids -- when it comes to hygiene -- never seem to sink in. Parents, have faith! With one little smile and a love note from a girl, my godson has taken every piece of advice given by his parents (and myself), and quickly put it into action!

Come to think of it, a little love at this age never hurt anybody too bad, right? At least he FINALLY gets the idea that appearance and SMELL are just as important as his humor and charm! Some men have never learned this lesson!

Happy giggles and goosebumps!

next: British Actress Kate Winslet Splits From Husband
Wendi March 15, 2010, 2:16 PM

My son is turning 13 next and is not allowed to date. He is just not old enough. Instead of him spending his time with a girl that could only lead to trouble, I have tought him that he has to shower and take care of himself. This has been ongoing since he was young. Saying that dating a girl is a good thing because it has taught the importance of not smelling is insane! You really need to think about his intentions and what these kids are doing when you are leaving him alone early at school to see a girl. They can in no way handle the emotional aspects of that type of adult realationship. If you are not careful, you be will called grandma soon.

Anonymous March 16, 2010, 7:53 AM

Um, your 11 year old godson should be getin gup on time because that’s his job, not because he’s got a girlfriend. He should be showering for hygiene and his own self esteem. The love he should be experiencing is love of himself, his family and friends -certainly not romantic love. Kids at that age are just navagating who they are and how to develop true friendships - way too young for dating. If the child is only tkaing care of himslef because he thinks he’s “in love” with a girl then there are CLEARLY some family issues.

Way to start creating children who have zero self esteem and just go along with the crowd.

Anonymous March 18, 2010, 12:17 AM

I have custody of my almost 9 year old and I do not think it is appropriate for any one over the age of 16, depending on there responsibility as teens to date. They must talk honestly with there parents and the other parents as well.

ANON-DAD March 18, 2010, 3:25 PM

I pretty funny how moms never want to let their boys go (my grandmother called it NIPPLE SYNDROME) WakeUP Naive MOMS - boys are interested in GIRLS at that age!!! This has nothing to do with LOW SELF-ESTEEM and everything to do with making a good FIRST IMPRESSION on a young lady in his class. The article said NOTHING ABOUT HE WAS DATING!!!

I always here PARENTS say what their children arent/wont do - GUESS WHAT?? They just going to do it behind your back - WHY NOT HAVE AN OPEN TALK ABOUT GIRLS/BOYS/DATING - SHARE THE JOYS AND THE PITFALLS… MATTER OF FACT - THINK BACK TO WHEN YOU WERE THAT AGE AND YOUR FIRST CRUSH!!!

Have you looked at the magazines, music videos, kids tv shows, etc. etc. the topic of dating is always in their face!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES!!! LITTLE JOHNNY AINT ALWAYS GONNA BE LITTLE JOHNNY!!! REMOVE HIM FROM THE BREAST!

Ashlee Holland March 18, 2010, 4:03 PM

Well… to those who misquoted me AND those who took this article… WAAAAYYY too seriously… here is my final thought. SELF ESTEEM… he has plenty of…. SELF LOVE… He DOES NOT have a problem with. AND a FAMILY that is intelligent encouraging and LOVING….. he could not have a better one!!!!! SO….. the POINT of the article is to say… we ALL need a little push!!! I would love for ONE SINGLE PERSON to deny that when you are INTERESTED in someone that you DO NOT step it up a little but! RELAX PEOPLE!!! LOL YEESH!!!

anonomous April 16, 2011, 9:11 PM

im 11 and im dating so y not any1 else? ive been dating a girl for 4 months and we are responsible enough tho! LET MATURE AND RESPONSIBLE KIDS DATE!!(have to be 10 or over, ok?)