Sibling Rivalry: Butting Heads, Butting Out

Is your kids' sibling rivalry driving you crazy? Read this!

boy and girl fighting

Brett Berk: A desperate mother recently wrote me. This isn't unusual; it's part of my job. What was unusual was that the note made me laugh out loud. "Dear Gay Uncle," it said. "My children are driving me insane with their arguing. I kid you not, the other day we were in the car and one of them said, 'MY beautiful day.' And the other said, 'No, MY beautiful day.' They were actually fighting over the weather! I am at my wit's end right now! HELP!

After I'd finished gurgling over her children's ability to translate something as benign as blue skies into a source of needling hostility, I wrote back, giving the mom three big pointers on sibling rivalry. I will now share them with you.

Butt Out: Who cares if the kids argue over something as idiotic as who owns the sun? If you try inserting yourself into every one of these conflicts, you will not only drive yourself crazy, you will set up the expectation that you are a) interested, b) capable of solving them and c) willing to parlay a two-way fight into a three-way fight. Instead, calmly provide a simple statement -- like, "Please find a different way to talk to each other" -- and then just leave it alone. They need to figure out how to come to some kind of understanding, and part of that process is going to entail their getting through an entire fight and emerging on the other side.

Provide Peaceful Examples: Kids generally participate in needless arguments not because they're inherently evil, but because they lack the skills or language to figure things out some other way. Your job as the adult is to provide these skills in a positivist manner. (Note: Screaming "Stop that fighting!" is not positivist.) They need methods and templates that they can use to resolve their conflicts: taking turns, sharing, understanding that two people can have the same or different reactions or feelings, finding other things to occupy them, displacing their anger, removing themselves from a situation, negotiating. It can actually be easier and more beneficial to provide these at a time when conflict is not occurring. Make up situations and have the kids try to resolve them, a la: "We have three hot dogs and only two people. What can we do?" or "I'm going to pick out one kind of ice cream at the store for us all to share. Let's try to come up with a flavor we agree on."

Have Realistic Expectations: Don't expect any of this to work as a magic bullet (i.e., right away). Like I said, realizing that there's a whole world of need beyond your egocentric self is a normal part of growing up. It's called "human development," and it will take tons of practice. (In case you haven't noticed, most adults aren't very good at it.) And as their brother-sister fight club may never entirely cease to operate, be sure to figure out how best to remove yourself from the equation.

Well, that was a week ago. This morning, I got another e-mail from the desperate mom, entitled "SUCCESS!": "Today, I took the kids to the store and they each got a cupcake," she wrote. "On the way home, they were arguing over which cupcake they chose. 'MY pink cupcake!' my daughter shouted. 'MY brown cupcake!' my son yelled back. And so on. This is when I normally would have stepped in and tried (unsuccessfully) to break up the fight. Instead, I took your advice and sat back and listened. Within five minutes, this was the conversation: Son: 'You like pink cupcakes and I like brown cupcakes!' Daughter: 'Yeah! I like pink cupcakes and you like brown cupcakes!' If I wasn't already happy enough, a few seconds later I heard my son tell his sister, 'I'm sorry I yelled at you.' Thanks again!!"

This made me happy -- not just because I'm an egocentric advice-giver and love to be right, or because I hate pink AND brown cupcakes (I prefer yellow), but because my plan made both the kids and the mom happy (or at least happier than they were before). Busting you out of your parenting bubble -- that's what Gay Uncles are for.

next: Meet Magnificent Stuntmom Mimi Lesseos
Jennifer March 3, 2010, 8:45 AM

One great peaceful example a parent can offer is the Pocket Referee.
Give this a look: www.thepocketreferee.com

It’s simple, fun and really works.
This gives kids a process to work things out and teaches them to think about how important fighting for fighting’s sake really is.

Anonymous December 18, 2010, 1:00 PM

Blood platelet disorder is the inability to make platelets that stop the clotting of the blood. People suffering from this disorder have a deficiency to produce blood platelets. This results in possible hemorrhaging from a cut whereas most people will form clots to stop the bleeding. The people have a serious disorder that can lead to life threatening situations. online degree programs

gr8aires December 18, 2010, 1:03 PM

Anonymous December 21, 2010, 10:21 PM

Before you begin any search engine optimization effort, evaluate your web site, landing page, or blog from the perspective of meta tags, load speed, and URLs.grade b maple syrup

Anonymous December 21, 2010, 10:22 PM

Before you begin any search engine optimization effort, evaluate your web site, landing page, or blog from the perspective of meta tags, load speed, and URLs. grade b maple syrup

gr8aires December 26, 2010, 12:58 AM

Tortoise shell glasses are all still very hot this year. Stylists think that they will probably go out of style soon, but this year they are still fashionable. They are universal because they can be worn with any style of clothes. A good investment for a difficult financial times!relationships

Anonymous January 2, 2011, 3:48 AM

In software engineering, the programming paradigm of aspect-oriented programming (AOP), also called aspect-oriented software development (AOSD), attempts to aid programmers in the separation of concerns, or the breaking down of a program into distinct parts that overlap in functionality as little as possible..browser based games

gr8aires January 5, 2011, 3:53 AM

New software developed by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL) and Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (NGSB) may lead to a less expensive and less time consuming method to detect corrosion or other defects in a ship’s pipes. Staples Center Tickets

gr8aires January 8, 2011, 3:48 AM

A perverse circumstance about separation is that, again frequent than hardly, the ex-grooms don’t bear a equivalent adit to parenting. My manage’s oldest daughter has started asking about getting her possess e-armor talk, furthermore (negative surprisingly) Mom plus Father aren’t in unison about what to warn her.car audio

Anonymous January 10, 2011, 3:39 AM

Well, that was a week past. This dawn, I got additional e-armor from the drastic mom, entitled “HIT!”: “Today, I took the babys to the house moreover they per got a cupcake,” she wrote. “On the road domestic, they were arguing too which cupcake they chose. ‘MY blush cupcake!’ my daughter shouted. ‘MY dark cupcake!’ my child yelled rear.jokes sms

gr8aires January 14, 2011, 4:29 AM

It can actually be easier also also helpful to give these at a phase during friction is nay occurring. Compose up status besides contain the child’s taste to settle them, a la: “We receive trinity cute puppies plus solely pair populate. What can we do?walkfit platinum

gr8aires January 26, 2011, 2:01 AM

In software engineering, the programming model of feature-oriented programming (AOP), similarly called face-oriented software progress (AOSD), stabs to help programmers in the detachment of cares, or the breaking crestfallen of a docket against articulate characters that intersect in functionality as wee as workable.Portsmouth gyms

bare minerals foundation February 4, 2011, 8:47 AM

It’s best to take part in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I’ll advocate this website!

Bankruptcy Lawyers February 12, 2011, 5:28 PM

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Karine Faz February 21, 2011, 2:54 AM

We have been looking for this information for a while, thank you.

Julene Cabiness February 21, 2011, 6:54 AM

Hi, I keep finding a 404 blank page and I was wondering to find out if it’s just me or if it’s on your servers end and who I can contact? It’s almost discouraging to be sitting on the bench.

Conveyancing quotes February 27, 2011, 4:23 PM

I have been reading out many of your posts and i must say clever stuff. I will surely bookmark your website.

three peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:27 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

sms to nigeria April 3, 2011, 12:38 AM

Inspite of many ideas, well researched content articles nonetheless fetch in subscribers like me. You showed broad knowledge of topic matter and my thoughts are now total after reading your post. Please protect up the authentic work and i’ll sign up for your rss or atom nourish to be informed of any upcoming postings.

nigeria news papers online April 3, 2011, 12:38 AM

Would you believe it? I study it twice. While I am not as achieved during this issue, I tally with your conclusions because they include up. Thanks and goodluck for you.