Another Cyberbullying Suicide?

Some say her suicide was sparked by cruel comments on the website formspring.me.

alexis pilkington

Alexis Pilkington, 17, a New York soccer star, committed suicide Sunday following vicious taunts on the social-networking site formspring.me, reports the New York Daily News.

This is a site that says it gives teens the opportunity to "ask questions, give answers and learn more about your friends." Teens can do so anonymously -- just like they can in the Facebook "Honesty Box." This makes the formspring site a goldmine for cyberbullies, because they can be as cruel as they want without ever being identified. Cyberbullies even left cruel comments AFTER Alexis committed suicide.

"Investigators are monitoring the postings and will take action if any communication is determined to be of a criminal nature," Suffolk County Deputy Chief of Detectives Frank Stallone said yesterday.

Read momlogic's Resource Guide to Protect Your Kids from Cyberbullying.

Alexis' mom, Paula Pilkington, doesn't think cyberbullying is the reason for her daughter's suicide. "I believe in my heart that cyberbullying wasn't the cause of Lexi's death," she says. "This is a mistake."

Cyberbullying expert Ross Ellis examines the situation here.

Regardless of the outcome of the investigation, formspring.me is a site that should be on moms' radars -- especially now. Are your kids on this site? What do you know about it?

next: Would-Be Teen Robber Asks Clerk Not to Tell Mom
Wendi March 25, 2010, 4:15 PM

It makes me so sad to hear that another child has killed themselves. It is hard to believe that this many kids think that this is their only hope and their only way out.

Maya - Marie March 25, 2010, 7:47 PM

i agree with Wendi , idont think it’s riqht for people to kill themselves because they think it’s their onlyway out.

marie March 26, 2010, 4:33 AM

Why, after both parents and some of her friends have stated that her suicide was not because of cyberbullying do so many in the media continue to sensationalize this girl’s death via headlines blaming cyberbullying? Really momlogic, the “?” does not preclude you from being just another vulture in the mix. It is obvious to anyone that has any kind of reading comprehension that this girl had other problems that drove her to kill herself. Stop feeding the frenzy, you are a disgrace.

Freida March 26, 2010, 5:10 PM

Cyberbullying was most likely not the cause of her suicide, but it could have contributed. And that slightest possibility just drives me up the walls. I’m in highschool myself and I am a senior, I think bullying is only something insecure people do. Especially when it’s anonymous— what purpose does that serve?

johm April 24, 2010, 6:08 AM

damn i cant believe she killed herself she is such a pretty girl and she could of had a perfect life i give my condolences to her familyy and hope theu get throught this

christina April 24, 2010, 10:08 AM

i hate hearing about stuff like this. she was such a pretty girl and the comments made towards her were probably out of jealousy. rest easyyy girll

Hannah Hajciar May 21, 2010, 7:19 AM

y???

nassirah  May 27, 2010, 9:36 AM

this is such a sad story on how people can do such thing it’s not right like what did anyone ever do to someone to make them feel like they had the right to bully if they had got picked on or something had got done to them when they where young an if they got picked on that doesn’t make it right for them to do it to others if they didn’t like being picked on why do it to others hope you people take a good look at this comment LOVE: Nassirah

lexi brown October 7, 2010, 1:36 PM

why she had a lot to come from and for i was here bff she shouldnt have done it if she was me and i was there i would of stoped her

Jasmine Lynn October 29, 2010, 5:43 PM

I honestly think that cyber-bullying is a HUGE part of society. Kids pick on other kids. It’s mostly the medias fault. The media gives kids an image of what they should look like to be accepted by society and many children/young adults take that to an extreme. If you don’t look like what the media tells them you should look like, you are picked on and put down. Imperfections are not an option in today’s society. If someone finds out the smallest flaw about you the exaggerate it to an awful extent. I am a high school student myself, I am considered one of the “popular” juniors at my school but I don’t let that get to my head. I am nice to everyone because I don’t want to be the cause or take any part in a human being taking their life because somebody else feels they do not fit into society. It’s sad to see someone so young end their life like that when they had so much more to live for. I feel sympathy for the family and I hope their doing well getting threw the tragic lose of their daughter. I wish them the best of luck.

Anonymous November 17, 2010, 8:15 AM

Ahh , poor kids .

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:56 PM

I wonder how you got so good. HaHa! This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your design is so perfect! You certainly know how to get a girls attention! Im glad that youre here. I feel like Ive learned something new by being here.

Pharma918 December 10, 2010, 10:35 AM

Hello! eeaeeea interesting eeaeeea site!

Sweet Cakes By Rebecca Sacramento December 11, 2010, 7:39 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

Wholesale Flower Vases For Centerpieces December 12, 2010, 12:03 AM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

Anonymous December 14, 2010, 12:30 PM

I have been and still am a victim of bullying in many forms. I find that cyber-bullying has become the hardest to endure because other people can read what someone is saying to and about you. It’s hard to go through and I often have the thoughts of doing what she did. I’m just glad I have friends who have supported me and kept me strong, I think she needed someone to lend an ear and a shoulder and help her through. I know that’s why I’m still here. I’m sorry to hear that.

urda calorii December 27, 2010, 11:38 AM

I have been scouring the Web for this information and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. Also, just off topic, where can i get a version of this theme? – Thanks

Walter English December 29, 2010, 2:56 AM

Just to let you know your site looks really weird in Firefox on my laptop with Mac .

dieta anului 2010 January 2, 2011, 4:23 AM

I was been scouring the WWW for this information and i wanted to thank you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Regards

dieta anului 2011 January 2, 2011, 11:39 PM

I was beeing after the Internet for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. By the way, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Thank you