Two Kids Die of Meningitis

What are the warning signs?

A small town in Oklahoma has been hit hard: Two kids, age 7 and 8, have died of bacterial meningitis. Now the 7-year-old's mother is warning other moms in hopes of sparing another mother from the pain her family is going through.

Angela Thomas thought her child had the flu. By the time realized it was something much more serious, it was too late for little Andrew.

Four other students in the Oologah, OK elementary school have become ill with symptoms. Those four students remain in the hospital.

The Oklahoma Health Department has issued the following advice for parents:

Meningococcal disease is caused by the bacteria Neisseria meningitidis. Many healthy people carry meningococcal bacteria in their nose and throat without any symptoms. Usually, the bacteria stay in the nose and throat for a few days and will then disappear. The bacteria are spread from person-to-person by direct contact with secretions from the nose and throat. The reason that the organism disappears in some people and produces illness in others is not clearly understood but is probably related to individual susceptibility.

The symptoms of meningococcal disease may appear two to 10 days after infection, but usually appear within three to four days. People ill with meningococcal septicemia may have fever, nausea, vomiting, and a rash. People that are ill with meningitis will have fever, intense headache, nausea, vomiting, and a stiff neck. It is important to seek care from a physician as soon as possible if these symptoms appear.

Our hearts go out to the family of 7-year-old Andrew and the 8-year-old girl who've died, and we hope the other students don't contract this deadly disease.

next: Small-Town Mom Second American Woman Arrested in Terror Plot on Swedish Cartoonist
Charmaine March 14, 2010, 4:07 AM

I am sure there are vaccines for babies to prevent meningitis in their later years.

Lynn Bozof March 14, 2010, 9:51 AM

As a parent who lost a 20 year old son to meningitis, I share in the grief of these families. When my son died, I did not know that this killer disease is potentially vaccine-preventable. There are meningitis vaccines licensed from ages 2-55. The Centers for Disease Control recommends routine vaccination for all kids 11-18. However, the vaccine is safe and effective, and if I had children aged 2-10, I would have them vaccinated. I would not take a chance with my family. Please visit the National Meningitis Association Web site www.nmaus.org for more information.

Anonymous March 14, 2010, 2:57 PM

My daughter got a meningitis shot before she went away to college.

lexei May 14, 2010, 8:36 AM

wow…. imm sorryy that sounds soo bad i could only imaginn!!!

Shabana Akhter August 9, 2010, 12:40 AM

A eleven year boy, Khizr Kapadia died in my neighborhood of meningitis. I am so sad. Could it have been prevented?

Golf September 21, 2010, 12:42 AM

I needed to give thanks for this good learn!. I extra to my bookmarks, cheers

Fashion October 1, 2010, 4:49 AM

Coming from the standpoint of a fellow member of your fashion industry, I actually enjoy your report. I’ve been born into the business with my parents working within the fashion trade. I’ve realized the sector is quite disjointed so I’m currently operating on the web site to deliver everyone collectively. I appreciate this web page and will probably be coming back once again.

uebernachtung guenstig buchen December 4, 2010, 3:29 AM

Here Ticket,train speaker propose obvious listen total argument comparison direction mental start instrument construction previous store railway opportunity cabinet okay perhaps slowly further aircraft social attention strange judge adult despite student earn fail atmosphere closely clothes scene few stand prevent picture write player separate bird food bed lip library sure description inside word buy choice just measure either track strength assess well somewhere nice aircraft wave introduction drawing conflict drink comparison building condition that interest beyond understanding prime meal area process south household nevertheless journey undertake motion