Unemployed Women Selling Wedding Rings on Craigslist

Huffington Post: Since her fiancé passed away in 2004, Victoria Crass, a 39-year old mother of three from Surprise, Arizona, has hung onto the 1.1-carat oval diamond engagement ring he gave her when he proposed. But when she lost her job last year and eviction loomed, Crass felt she had to decide between keeping the ring and supporting her three children.

engagement ring

"I don't want to sell my ring, seeing as how it means so much to me, since my fiancé is no longer with me," Crass told HuffPost. "But Alexandrea, my 13-year-old, needs braces and glasses. She's been complaining because she can't see the board at school. I've been trying to sell the ring for a year, but people want to offer me so little for it. It's worth at least seven thousand, and I'm offering it for $2,800. The sentimental value is just too much to let it go for pennies."

To sell the ring, Crass went to Craigslist. Here's how she pitched it: "I am selling a gorgeous engagement ring.... It has a ton of sentimental value, but just can't afford to keep it right now. I really hate to get rid of this ring but the economy has left me no choice.... It's a really beautiful ring and you have to see it to appreciate it. Please respond, only if you are serious!!"

There are thousands of ads on Craigslist for things like used appliances, furniture, and cars from people who need a little quick cash to get by, with the seller frequently revealing a glimpse of the problems necessitating the sale. For upfront desperation, few ads are more poignant than the ones for wedding or engagement rings from people in financial straits. When contacted by HuffPost, sellers typically said they posted their ads in an effort to take care of their children.

"It is a big sacrifice but what else am I suppose to do at this point?" emailed one woman whose ad said she was "beyond sad that I have to sell this but bills need to be paid somehow." The woman was not interested in sharing her name.

"It is really the only thing I have that is worth anything and of course I do not want to sell it but tough times call for tough decisions," she wrote. "My son is who I need to look out for and when you put it in perspective it is only a material item and although I still have emotional ties with it it really comes down to what is more important. We are losing our home and where are we suppose[d] to go? This ring is hopefully a little lifeline to get into a place so we can have a roof over our heads. This is why I am trying to sell my ring on craigslist and yes it breaks my heart but hearts mend right?"

A single mom named Liz Dunda, a 44-year-old in Milan, Md., also put a ring up on Craigslist for her kids' sake. She told HuffPost she needed money to make the bathroom accessible for her handicapped son.

"I used to lift him into the bathroom, but he's 15 now and weighs as much as I do," Dunda said. "He has to shower at my parents' house. We can't fit the wheelchair into the bathroom."

Dunda works in a law office as a legal assistant, but she says her health insurance doesn't cover wheelchairs, and she can't afford a better policy to cover her son. "My son is now on a Medicaid waiver that covers medical, but they came to visit my home and explained to me that I had to hire an architect to redesign the room and that I had to pay 40 percent of the cost up front. They told me to get a second mortgage. I couldn't do it, so we're struggling and selling things to make it work."

In addition to her wedding ring, Dunn also sold her bed and exercise equipment on Craiglist to pay for a handicap-accessible van.

"The government said they would install a lift in the van if it was less than a year old," Dunda told HuffPost. "I was trying to hold onto the wedding ring for emergencies, but if I don't sell it now, my son has no way of getting around."

Sometimes the ring is the absolute last thing to go. Michele Rok of Grove City, Ohio, told HuffPost she sold her freezer, her stove and a number of other appliances on Craigslist before finally having to sell the wedding ring she was planning to pass on to her daughter.

"I've had to sell things like you wouldn't believe throughout the year just to maintain," Rok said. "I've mainly been selling appliances to help with rent and utility bills. I just listed the ring last week for the first time, because I need to have surgery on my back.

Rok said she has an accounting degree and several years of mid-level management experience at Deloitte and KPMG in New York, but she had to leave her job about a year ago and return to Ohio to take care of her sick mother. By the time she started looking for work again, the recession was in full swing, and she lost her house and was unable to find a job.

She said: "When I first came here and realized the situation that was happening, I actually worked for a major builder cleaning newly constructed homes, but was making less than I am now making on unemployment. I'm constantly searching Craigslist or Monster or Hot Jobs for any opportunity I can find, but they don't want to give someone my age a job."

Although Rok's ring has still had no takers, she says that the ability to sell her jewelry and appliances online, even when the items have sentimental value, has been a lifesaver for her. "The people that bought my freezer, those people are miracles to me because they helped me pay my gas bill and my rent. People talk a lot of bad stuff about Craigslist, but it does have the ability to help people."

Victoria Crass in Arizona said that, after she lost a fairly lucrative job as a loan officer in 2008, she and her three children were evicted from their house. Her autistic son, who was 16 at the time, was personally served the eviction notice. "He was completely freaking out," she said.

Crass claims that she has since had to home-school him so he wouldn't have to worry about getting picked on because she can no longer afford to buy him clothes or school supplies.

"I couldn't even afford to get him pants," Crass said. "High school kids can be so cruel -- he was coming home with bruises. Your kids expect you to be able to pay for everything, you know -- food, clothes. But I'm a 40-year-old, unemployed single mom. It's not easy."

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: Tummy Rubbing Cute Overload
agostetebaria May 6, 2010, 6:48 AM

Hey

Really glad to get into this forum
It’s what I am looking for.
Hope to know more member here.

Laureene McGinley September 1, 2010, 9:28 AM

trying to sell two white gold rings male is 14k females 10k with diamonds paid 599 for them

Ivan Zurasky September 1, 2010, 7:21 PM

Informative blog with good useful information.

moviest September 24, 2010, 3:02 PM

view complete movies at zero cost online in top quality HD along with the most up-to-date releases check it out right here [URL=http://www.watchmovies4free.org]watch movies online free[/URL]

wedding dress size 16 November 12, 2010, 9:02 AM

I can tell that you’re an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me personally.. Thanks for all your help as well as wanting you all the success inside your company.

Fritzenbergerfx January 14, 2011, 7:06 AM

Hi,

I’m new here with this discussion board I’ve been a very long time lurker and now possess a appropriate challenge which i expect a few of you gentlemen can help with.

I was on the look to locate a few trustworthy and trusted offshore company incorporation agent, since I live in Spain and don’t wish to pay the high tax here than I went using Costa Rica Corporation, will not likely post a link avoiding to become deemed junk, now they told me that for my requirements I am unable to use them but preferably should look at some incorporation within another offshore jurisdiction such as Malta, right now I ran across the website http://www.web-chamber.com that is actually an appealing web site has lots of information regarding this kind of theme, what interest me is, if some of you could figure out how I can help to eliminate my tax not having going the offshore method or if Cyprus really is just about the area I would consider ?

My needs are to pay the lowest tax feasible, need bank account with internet banking and a credit card merchant account to simply accept credit card payments for my Shoes or boots shop.

Thank you in advance.

diocheinhethy January 22, 2011, 4:40 PM

Prescription drugs for treating toenail fungus and crumbling, thickened, or discolored toenails are available but their success rates are questionable. In addition to troubling uncomfortable side effects reminiscent of nausea, complications, and skin rashes, some prescrption medications for treating fungus and discolored nails trigger seruous health problems including liver and kidney injury leaving many to show to pure, residence treatments in hopes of treating their discoloed toenails.

__________________
[url=http://www.toenailfungustreaments-reviews.com]Toenail Fungus Treatment[/url]

Orieroighig February 4, 2011, 9:38 PM

critically tho, the US has been handling this well… if the army is stored on aspect it might be attainable to get a stable system like Turkey’s (there are variations between the two, but not large differences, in fact Eygpt is poorrer)

__________________
Effective [url=http://www.fitnails.com]Nails[/url] Remedy

lorgedora February 20, 2011, 2:26 AM

Hi, I need your support. I want to sell my gold online. Does anybody has any experience with this transaction?
I found this site:
[url=http://www.cashforgoldco.com]cash gold[/url]

JeniBrinc March 5, 2011, 1:58 PM

wpolscemamymocneseo competition [url=http://www.w-polsce-mamymocne-seo.pl]wpolscemamymocneseo[/url]

JeniBrinc March 8, 2011, 5:25 AM

wpolscemamymocneseo 2k11 [url=http://www.doda-elektroda.eu]wpolscemamymocneseo[/url]

Lazy boy  March 16, 2011, 9:15 PM

I am glad to find your notable way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to comprehend and carry out the concept. Thank you for the post.

watch jersey shore season 3 episode 6 March 19, 2011, 2:48 PM

Hi, very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it

glee s02e08 March 27, 2011, 9:15 PM

Hi, You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

smallville s10e06 March 28, 2011, 12:21 AM

Hi! There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

eremwragek May 4, 2011, 10:57 AM

Hello.
The interesting name of a site - www.momlogic.com, interesting this here is very good.
I spent 2 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

eremwragek May 9, 2011, 4:01 AM

Hello.
I spent 3 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

eremwragek May 22, 2011, 2:41 AM

Hello.
I spent 3 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

eremwragek May 29, 2011, 4:28 PM

Hello.
I spent 3 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!