Watch Out! Some Indian Spices Contain Lead

The news that some Indian spices contain dangerous lead levels sent shudders down my spine. I feed my toddler food cooked with Indian spices several days a week.

indian-spices-270.jpg

Ronda Kaysen: Around the time my son was born, my husband and I decided to have a mostly vegetarian diet. I started cooking a lot of Indian recipes because of all the delicious vegetarian dishes. Some of my son's first foods included generous amounts of turmeric, garam masala and black mustard seeds. The news that these spices could be filling his veins with lead is shocking.

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, says that young children who regularly eat some imported Indian spices might be exposed to lead, which is a serious neurotoxin. The study followed patients at Children's Hospital in Boston from 2006 to 2009 who had been exposed to Indian spices and powders. The biggest culprits were spices like turmeric (which contain dyes) and powders used in Indian religious ceremonies (like sindoor, which is applied to the skin).

The researchers tested 86 spices and 71 ceremonial powders from 15 Indian specialty stores in the Boston area. Three varieties of salt exceeded the E.U. guidelines for lead. About 25 percent of the food spices -- including cardamom, fenugreek and chili powder -- contained more than one microgram of lead per gram of product, as did about 65 percent of the ceremonial powders. Although the numbers fall below the E.U.'s acceptable levels, the researchers say that any lead presence should be something to worry about.

Lately, it seems like lead is lurking everywhere. During the lead-toys-from-China scare, I chose my son's toys carefully. And when news broke that Mexican candies may contain lead, I avoided the delectable treats -- even though we were living in Mexico at the time. But spices seemed so innocuous. Unlike toys and candy (which can be avoided), spices are a central part of my family's diet. Eliminating them is far more difficult. I opened my spice cabinet today and scoured the brands; among them were those tested (such as Swad). American-made versions of these spices are far more expensive, and sometimes nearly impossible to find. Beyond the Indian spices, studies like this remind me just how little we know about what is in the foods we eat.

next: To Nanny Cam, Or Not to Nanny Cam
cg March 23, 2010, 5:36 AM

ml thanks so much for passin’ on the info- just did grocery shopping lastnight, guess what just bought some tumeric to try out a new recipe- guess that’s not happening now. knowledge is power thanks for empowering me to make an informed choice.:)

Jan March 23, 2010, 7:01 AM

Good to know, I had not heard of this before.

Leigh March 23, 2010, 10:15 AM

Hi, Ronda. Thank you so much for doing this article; I don’t know that we would’ve known this otherwise. We haven’t had Indian food lately, but it is a favorite here (though not so much for our toddler as for my husband and I, but I do breastfeed). We love everything from various masala to daals, paneer, chickpeas, and more. We use the kits from time to time, too.

How do you propose that we go about reviewing or testing the foods we already have (we use Swad brand, too, as well as Gits and some others)? Also, would you be able to share where you read the original article(s) about the studies into these foods?

Thanks so very much, Ronda, from our little family to you & yours!
Leigh

Leigh March 23, 2010, 5:24 PM

D’Oh. My bad for not seeing the study link.

Leigh

Betsy July 24, 2010, 9:49 PM

We have a line of safe, salt/sugar/preservative free spices made just for babies and toddlers. With this lead scare - it is especially important to know where your spices are coming from. Don’t be afraid to ask for the country of origin and any/all information to make you feel comfortable feeding your little one!

Betsy
Founder, The Baby Foodies

Gee27 November 24, 2010, 9:34 AM

Lead in spices is so crazy who would have thought. We use some Indian Spices and will now be taking them off my list. Cheap Calgary Hotels

Paul law December 12, 2010, 9:10 AM

I avoided the delectable treats even though we were living in Mexico at the time. But spices seemed so innocuous. Unlike toys and candy (which can be avoided), spices are a central part of my family’s diet.Paul - Blogs about best mobile broadband

ariza December 13, 2010, 2:02 AM

ariza December 13, 2010, 2:05 AM

Ariza- Interested in get your ex back

Peter December 14, 2010, 12:32 AM

Lead poisoning is no joke. It can cause brain damage in children and serious behavioral changes. And the effects are cumulative over time.The researchers tested 86 spices and 71 ceremonial powders from 15 Indian specialty stores in the Boston area. Three varieties of salt exceeded the E.U. guidelines for lead.
Peter - houston sedation dentist pro

chery December 14, 2010, 10:53 PM

Chery- Writes about acoustic guitar songs

mishel December 15, 2010, 9:38 PM

avoided the delectable treats — even though we were living in Mexico at the time. But spices seemed so innocuous. Unlike toys and candy (which can be avoided), spices are a central part of my family’s diet. Eliminating them is far more difficult. I opened my spice cabinet today and scoured the brands.
Mishel- ” fuller extreme eyelashesSpecialist

Helosboing December 16, 2010, 2:35 AM

You can see many things that is related with him in this site. He is a good master if we talk bout art. He make several kind of art, not just painting and this make him different from the other. bingo

Crewneck Sweatshirts December 26, 2010, 11:20 PM

I’ve been studying your entries right through my morning break, and I must admit the whole article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I believed I might will let you know that for a few explanation why this weblog does no longer view well in Internet Explorer 8. I wish Microsoft would forestall converting their software. I have a query for you. Could you thoughts changing blog roll links? That will be in point of fact neat!

Million Candlepower Spotlight December 27, 2010, 2:00 AM

Whats up, I just hopped over on your web page by means of StumbleUpon. No longer something I’d typically learn, however I favored your emotions none the less. Thanks for making something price reading.

Xrumer Scrapebox December 27, 2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks for making the honest attempt to provide an explanation for this. I think very sturdy approximately it and want to be told more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra intensive knowledge, would you mind adding extra posts similar to this one with additional info? It could be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

How to Start A Blog December 28, 2010, 9:46 AM

I’ve been reading your entries all the way through my morning holiday, and I will have to admit the entire article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I thought I would will let you know that for some explanation why this blog does no longer view well in Web Explorer 8. I desire Microsoft may forestall changing their software. I have a question for you. Might you mind replacing weblog roll links? That will be actually neat!

Free Image hosting December 28, 2010, 11:28 PM

Thank you for making the trustworthy try to explain this. I feel very strong about it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you reach extra intensive wisdom, would you mind including extra posts similar to this one with additional information? It will be extremely useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

diamond rings December 30, 2010, 5:40 AM

I have been reading your entries all the way through my morning break, and I must admit the whole article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I thought I would help you realize that for a few explanation why this weblog does now not view well in Web Explorer 8. I desire Microsoft may prevent converting their software. I have a question for you. May you thoughts changing weblog roll links? That will be truly neat!

diamond engagement rings December 30, 2010, 6:09 AM

I am speechless. This can be a superb weblog and really enticing too. Nice work! That’s not in reality a lot coming from an beginner writer like me, but it surely’s all I may just say after diving into your posts. Great grammar and vocabulary. Now not like different blogs. You truly realize what you?re speaking approximately too. So much that you simply made me wish to explore more. Your blog has turn out to be a stepping stone for me, my friend.