Why It Kicks Ass to Be a Single Adoptive Mom

Maggie Vink: Welcome to the single adoptive moms club, Sandra Bullock ... we're happy to have you.

Sandra Bullock

Many people end up being a single parent through circumstance -- divorce, the death of one parent, abandonment, etc. Me? I chose it. Though I came close a couple of times, no diamond has ever landed on my ring finger, and I'm honestly OK with that. To quote Sandra Bullock's character from "While You Were Sleeping:" "I have sole possession of the remote control ... very important." But I knew I wanted to be a mom. Motherhood wasn't a dream I was willing to let slip through my fingers. After a failed Russian adoption attempt, I switched to the U.S. foster care program -- and was eventually matched with an athletic 10-year-old boy with indefatigable energy and an enormous capacity to love.

My son and I have been a family for nearly three years now. My gap-toothed, just-hit-the-double-digits boy is about to become a teenager, and his interest in girls has completely overshadowed the Power Rangers. In those three years, my son and I have ridden the highs and lows of becoming a family ... not just on paper, but in our hearts as well.

Being a single parent is no easy feat. There's nobody to share discipline responsibilities with, nobody to take over when I'm exhausted, nobody who's equally invested in my son who I can consult with when difficult parenting moments come up. But single parenting is not without its perks, either. Not once will I ever have to hear, "But Dad said I could ..." nor will I ever have to deal with the adult version of my son blowing off bad behavior by saying, "Boys will be boys!" And at the end of the day, when my son and I are alone and reading a chapter in our latest library find, I can take a moment to realize how special my son and I really are. We're a team of two ... and a great team at that. My son is the ultimate reward at the end of the long journey that is adoption.

One of the first steps in adoption is completing your homestudy. After several social-worker visits, lots of paperwork and managing to jump through all the necessary hoops, you end up with a multi-page document that represents your life. It's essentially your approval to adopt, and the report details your family history, your education, your financial situation, your home and so forth. It's exciting when it's completed, but I know that I felt a certain amount of pressure with my homestudy -- pressure to keep my life exactly as it was in the document. But life is fluid.

Even stable adults ready for parenting can lose jobs, and -- as in Sandra Bullock's case -- seemingly great marriages can fall apart at the seams. And adoptions don't have to be halted when life takes an unexpected twist.

Sandra Bullock didn't start the adoption process as a single parent. She started it years ago, when her marriage seemed as likely to succeed as "Miss Congeniality 2" seemed likely to fail. But life was fluid. Tattooed mistresses weren't part of Sandra's homestudy, but nonetheless she has a beautiful baby boy in her arms. So even though it may not have been in her original plan, my hat is off to Sandra Bullock for entering into single adoptive parenting with such class.

So Sandra, get ready for scraped knees and sweet hugs. You'll want to encapsulate your boy in bubble wrap, but hold back your worries and cheer him on when he tries jumping curbs and ramps and small dogs with his bike. (OK, I'm kidding about the small dogs. Kind of.) Brace yourself for how alarmingly tender little boys can be. Talk about the tough stuff with your boy, even when it's uncomfortable and you have to talk about private "equipment" you don't happen to have. Guide him with patience, love and boundaries, and foster his unique spirit. Single parent or not, you'll do right by your boy.

And Sandra, if you have any advice for me about carrying myself with your quirky grace, looking stunningly gorgeous and yet totally approachable at the same time -- or winning an Oscar -- I'm all ears.

next: When Did Your Child First Tell a Lie?
Patricia April 29, 2010, 4:33 AM

I think Sandra is a very strong woman also very smart, she adopted a beautiful baby that we all know will be loved as only a Mom can love a child, she has a very level head and moved on from Jesse. Most women know that when your man cheats once he will do it again, I have a couple of friends that stay with the man that has cheated more than once and when you ask them “WHY” they say because “I love him?” To me that is not love and you need to give yourself a chance to find the right man that will treat you with respect and love you, only you, any man that steps out and cheats on you is not worth being with, Good luck Sandra in all you do, I am very proud of you, as a woman you know your self worth and your child will bring you so much joy, God Bless the both of you.

Windows Vista Themes October 18, 2010, 2:39 PM

Thanks for sharing this helpful info!

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Just discovered this site through Yahoo, what a pleasant surprise!

Mimi Triblett October 24, 2010, 8:49 PM

That’s when reality hit home.

Arden Bleau October 25, 2010, 3:17 AM

My brother and I were just debating your very topic, he’s constantly endeavouring to prove me completely wrong. Your own view on this is excellent and just how I really feel. I just now mailed my brother this page to demonstrate him your own view. Right after overlooking your web log I added and will be coming back to read your posts!

Christina Henricks October 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

Do you guys have a facebook or myspace fan page? I searched for one on facebook but couldn’t locate one, I’d love to become a fan!

Hubert Salvucci October 25, 2010, 2:10 PM

I’ve been exploring on the internet hoping to get ideas on the way to get my blog coded, your present style and style are great. Did you actually code it by yourself or did you hire a programmer to get it done for you?

Hildegarde Duddy October 26, 2010, 1:40 PM

Simply just wished to mention I really appreciate your work on this blog and the high quality posts you make. These type of post are generally what keeps me going through the day. I uncovered this post right after a very good good friend of mine suggested it to me. I do some blogging and site-building myself and I am always thankful to check out others giving good quality information towards online community. I will definitely be following and have book marked your website to my personal twitter account for others to visit.

Kenton Wurz October 27, 2010, 3:07 PM

I have been looking around on the net trying to get some ideas on the way to get my personal blog site coded, your present style together with design are fantastic. Did you code it your self or did you recruit a programmer to get it done for you personally?

Gary Shappard November 2, 2010, 11:51 AM

Have shared this post will loy my associated too.

Laticia Volper November 3, 2010, 8:22 AM

By far the easiest technique of getting a that creates a qualification for a.

Tricia Heidbreder November 3, 2010, 1:09 PM

I read with regard to in a news group recently.

Jewell Lipke November 13, 2010, 11:42 AM

Some of the ideas of this blog post are generally great but had myself wondering, did they genuinely imply that? One point I have to say is definitely your publishing abilities are very excellent and I will probably be returning back for any brand-new post you come up with, you may well have a brand-new enthusiast. I bookmarked your blog for personal reference.

Brent Banvelos November 18, 2010, 8:40 AM

Total I feel that is anything to contemplate nevertheless it may just be a little bit little bit of base. In my nation we should always honer fantastic authors and I’m honoring your submit as I do assume it’s quite good.

Lourie Stjohn November 29, 2010, 8:32 PM

I would point that out if could be more awesome.

Chase Novad December 2, 2010, 9:24 AM

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

brahmin wallet December 3, 2010, 11:58 AM

I didn’t see a button anywhere but do you offer advertising? I have a variety of blogs in relevant niche and I would like to add my banner somwhere in your page.

make own beats December 5, 2010, 4:01 PM

This is really a wonderful weblog, would you be interested in going through an interview concerning just how you produced it? If so e-mail me!

Stephany Linkkila December 6, 2010, 2:44 AM

What I’m getting at is you might want to clarify all about this thought that gives a significant explanation pertaining to ?

Lenore Parnes December 8, 2010, 10:50 AM

Some of the ideas of this write-up happen to be excellent however had me personally wanting to know, did they really indicate that? One thing I have to point out is definitely your authoring knowledge are very very good and I will certainly be returning back for any new post you come up with, you may well have a brand new enthusiast. I book-marked the web page for personal reference.