Alex McCord Boozed While Pregnant

In a new parenting book, one of the New York City "Housewives" shares some unconventional wisdom.

ALex McCord

The ladies of the "Real Housewives of New York City" don't need any more fodder for clawing each other's eyes out, but they'll have fun with this new ammo.

Castmates Alex McCord and her needy hubby, Simon van Kempen, wrote a parenting book -- "Little Kids, Big City: Tales from a Real House in New York City" -- which hit bookstores yesterday. And in it, Alex reveals a whopper of a confession: "Throughout my pregnancy, I gave in to every craving I felt. When I wanted to have a drink, I did."

And she did! During labor, she apparently sipped on champagne as Simon took her to the hospital. And later, she brought newborn Johan to a New York City hot spot while she and Simon downed cocktails.

But being judged for her parenting skills is nothing new. In 2008, as a new mom, she posed naked not once, but twice for photos that got "leaked" onto the Internet. And later, her fellow castmates raked her over the coals when Francois (who's now 7) climbed up a stranger's leg in the Hamptons. (Horror!)

Boozing while pregnant is a hot topic. In 2006, a study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology concluded that there was no convincing evidence of adverse effects of prenatal alcohol exposure in small amounts -- yet many doctors warn expecting moms to lay off the booze during their full pregnancies.

Would you take parenting advice from Alex McCord?

next: Tween Huffing on the Rise
macmom2 April 8, 2010, 5:21 PM

I don’t know anyone that would take parenting advice from Alex. Has she ever seen a newborn with fetal alcohol syndrome?

Wendi April 8, 2010, 5:25 PM

Ummm NEVER!

macmom2 April 8, 2010, 5:42 PM

lou April 8, 2010, 11:50 PM

Alcohol can damage whatever part of the baby that is developing on the days the mother consumes alcohol and the brain is developing throughout pregnancy. Why would anyone, anytime take a chance on the worst teratagen we know that permanently damages a fetus, by drinking while she is carrying the child? How selfishness and shortsighted!

Steph April 9, 2010, 4:44 AM

Did any of you get in a car while you were pregnant? Your chances of harming your fetus are much greater by the simple act of being in a moving vehicle.

Did you eat tuna? Soft serve ice cream? Did you eat meat that could have possibly had one small bite undercooked? Did you drink or eat anything that contained caffeine? I hope you didn’t take a hot bath!

I’m not advocating consuming alcohol when you’re pregnant, I personally didn’t touch it during my pregnancies. But she’s not saying she was falling down drunk every night. Yes, they don’t know what amounts of alcohol might be safe or might be damaging, but if the slightest drop caused fetal alcohol syndrome, everyone from my generation (born in the 60’s) would have it.

Terri April 9, 2010, 6:05 AM

It’s not just “many doctors” warning expectant moms to lay off booze — it’s the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC, both of which recommend absolute abstinence during pregnancy. And it doesn’t sound like McCord was drinking “in small amounts” or “the slightest drop,” so I don’t think the study mentioned or Steph’s comments apply in her case. My son’s birthmother also drank whenever she wanted during her pregnancy, and he is living with the consequences of that now. I don’t understand why any parent would want to take that risk; if it’s that hard to avoid alcohol for nine months, get help before you get pregnant.

Shannon April 9, 2010, 6:51 AM

I had a few sips of wine every now & then during my pregnancy with my son.

Anonymous April 9, 2010, 8:13 AM

AMEN Steph!! I bet all these women jumping to judge also didn’t work-out during their pregnancies, gained more than the new weight recommnedations and ate fast foods/processed foods - all things worse than a glass of wine or two throught a pregnancy. She wasn’t out getting drunk every night - having a drink here or there doesn’t do any harm. I chose not to, but I’m certainly not going to jump on someone who has a sip here or there.

K April 9, 2010, 4:33 PM

The only recommendation the AAP will ever make is no alcohol because it’s a violation of the ethics code to ever actually conduct a test on pregnant women. That said, outside of the US it’s common for doctors to tell women it’s fine to have a glass of wine once a week or so, after the 1st trimester (heck, a study conducted in France showed children of women who had 1 glass of red wine per week during the 2nd and 3rd trimester had higher IQs!). Analyzes of the data available on FAS haven’t shown, since the inception of the use of FAS as a diagnosis, a SINGLE case where the mother wasn’t an alcoholic and knocking back multiple drinks every single night.

That said - I’d rather be safe then sorry, but all empirical evidence points to a drink here or there not doing a bit of harm.

Jamie April 10, 2010, 8:19 PM

Well as it says she only had it on the way to the hospital and after the baby was born. So that was moderation. When I was pregnant I drank 3 beers one time and I had 2 beers another time. So what? That is nothing. It is not a big deal. If it was something that happened on a regular basis maybe then it would be considered bad. But my baby did not have Fetal alcohol and it was ok.

Pharmf67 May 13, 2011, 10:08 PM

Hello! kfgeakg interesting kfgeakg site!