twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Baby's Screams Save Family from Flat Blaze

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This
Evening Telegraph: An 11-month-old baby's cries alerted a Dundee family as fire ripped through their flat today.

fire270.jpg
The parents were asleep in a bedroom as flames engulfed the living room where the baby was sleeping in his cot.

Crew manager Alan Park, from Kingsway fire station, said the fire was caused by an unattended tealight candle, which had been left directly on top of a wooden fire surround.

He said, "The baby started screaming and the father rushed through from the bedroom, grabbed the baby and the family ran from the smoke-logged flat just before 3am.

"The bottom of the tealight candle is metal and they're not safe."

He said tealights should be placed on a ceramic surface. In this case, the flame burned through to the wooden fireplace and set it alight.

Crew manager Park continued, "(The flames) spread and by the time we got there it was a well-established fire. The baby saved the family from what would have been horrific consequences.

"The living room was gutted. The flames had gone through the plasterboard and there was only half of a wooden internal door left."

The boy was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene, but did not require hospital treatment.

The blaze broke out on the top-floor flat of a three-storey block in Mill o' Mains shortly before 3am, forcing residents -- including the child's family -- to evacuate the building.

Firefighters used one hose reel and six sets of breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames.

The smell of smoke was still strong throughout the property when the Tele visited today, and there was visible smoke damage to the exterior of the building and the stairwell.

Another resident of the block said she had also had to briefly leave her home during the incident, but her flat had not been damaged.

Crew manager Park added, "Our advice with candles is to only use them in a non-combustible container, preferably ceramic, and site them away from inflammable materials and away from children.

"The whole thing would have been prevented in the first place and a working smoke alarm would have alerted the family a lot quicker.

"Tayside Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety visits for every single home in Tayside. We can fit smoke alarms and give advice on all aspects of fire safety, including prevention and escape routes."

Read more stories moms are talking about.


next: Family Arrested at Border Crossing for Making a Wrong Turn
1 comments so far | Post a comment now
Forum maman March 5, 2011, 10:14 AM

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing just a little analysis on this. And he actually bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you grow to be experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s extremely useful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog submit!


Leave a reply:



(not displayed)

     




Avoid clicking "Post" more than once
Back to top >>
advertisement