Does This Breastfeeding Baby Billboard Offend You?

The Ohio Department of Health's new billboards to promote breastfeeding are creating controversy.

breastfeeding baby billboard

Many feel that the "Breast Milk Satisfies" billboards are offensive because of the breast milk that's spilling out of the baby's mouth. After all, that milk came from a woman's BREAST. Gasp!

"When I first saw it, I thought ... you know, I agree with breast milk -- it's fine -- but then I saw it with the milk around its mouth, and I thought that was so unappealing," Stephanie Swan told FOX Toledo. "The baby's cute, but I did not like the milk coming out of his mouth."

Seriously?!

Why is breastfeeding so offensive to some? It's just milk, people! Get over it!

next: The Parenting Book of Odds
Sol April 20, 2010, 3:19 PM

If this was a “Got Milk?” ad we wouldn’t hear a word about it.

SS April 20, 2010, 3:19 PM

It looks disturbing. Some people know why, others do not. It’s not our fault, the advertisement industry has done this to us.

Lorrie April 20, 2010, 3:21 PM

Certainly not. Pretty cute if you ask me and a great message!

Stacy April 20, 2010, 3:29 PM

But it’s completely fine if it’s cow’s milk mustache on an adult?!

Anonymous April 20, 2010, 3:33 PM

Whatever it takes to spread the word about breastfeeding…

Sarah April 20, 2010, 4:05 PM

It’s no different than a “got milk” add. Get over it people.

Taylor April 20, 2010, 4:35 PM

People are too sensitive! Seriously!? That is one of the most natural things that happens in life.. Something that has healthily and happily gone on for centuries!

TwinHappyJen April 20, 2010, 5:32 PM

Ok at first I thought maybe people were offended by the ad because, it might stir up guilty feelings in those who were not able to breastfeed. We were never able to actually breastfeed… my girls were 10 weeks premature and we were just never able to get it down. I did pump as much as I could, for about 9 months, but did mix it with formula at times, especially when my supply started to dwindle. I also know those who were able to breastfeed very little, if at all, for various reasons. Things like this can stir up guilty feelings because Moms are able to feel guilty enough about everything, all on their own :-p

But, the milk coming out of the baby’s mouth? That’s what people are offended by?? That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard…

WTF?!? April 20, 2010, 6:33 PM

OK, America seriously needs to get over its puritanical self. There’s nothing remotely offensive about the image. I’ve seen much worse on billboards in my time.

Jessi April 20, 2010, 9:50 PM

I love this ad.

Anonymous April 21, 2010, 5:00 AM

I don’t get why people are offended. But I also don’t get why it is even necessary to advertise any type of feeding/formula. Mothers know their options and it’s a personal choice so just leave women alone and let them make their choice.

Catherine April 21, 2010, 6:48 AM

Milk, in general, really grosses me out if you stop to think about it. Really, drinking anything that is drained from an animal. If I stopped to think about things too much, I’d totally be vegan.

I am assuming that people associate breast milk with other bodily fluids and that’s why it’s offensive.

bekah April 21, 2010, 7:55 AM

no i think its funny! but gets the point across! i breastfeed n i would have loved to c this back then!!!!

free trial April 21, 2010, 9:22 AM

After reading you site, Your site is very useful for me .I bookmarked your site!

Mousuke April 21, 2010, 9:28 PM

FYI, the “milk” around the baby’s mouth looks like jizz. I do not want to see anyone with a jizz-like substance dribbling from their mouth on a billboard.

Alicia April 22, 2010, 1:01 PM

The disturbing thing is not the nod to breastfeeding, nor the sweet baby. The absurdity is that in today’s sex-obsessed society, naked breasts are plastered practically everywhere! (including billboards) ad nauseum, yet the allusion of a baby’s needing nourishment from the original, God-designed source is the excuse for foolish complaints.
Put up or shut up, people! Clean up Hollywood, tv, magazines, billboards, the streets, etc. from the vulgarity and constant overtones of sex in-our-face THEN someone might listen to your rants!

discount nfl jerseys April 22, 2010, 1:36 PM

great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

Our Healthier Living April 23, 2010, 3:51 AM

Very interesting topics.I am looking this type of topics, I need more informations because everyone knows “Health is wealth” is very much known to all and everyone wants good health.That means no one wants to leave this wealth. So, Let us build a food habit discipline, keep pace with work, rest and or exercise to Achieve good health, The ultimate wealth.
Our Healthier Living

discount nfl jerseys April 23, 2010, 9:11 AM

i am happy to find it thanks for sharing it here. Nice work.

shawntay April 23, 2010, 6:50 PM

this is so so so NOT offensive because…1.its a baby!!maybe an older child but not a baby 2.breastfeeding is the most natural way for us to feed our children, way more natural than what came out of an utter!!! and 3. there isnt even a breast in the picture

and think the majority of us has looked like that baby at one point in time with breastmilk on the face and at that point in time we didnt think it was gross…