Bully of Suicide Teen Being Threatened

A 13-year-old killed himself on Monday -- and now his alleged bully's life is being threatened.

chris montelongo and jon carmichael

Jon Carmichael, 13, of Texas, took his own life Sunday after being teased and bullied because of his small size. His funeral is today.

Now one of his alleged bullies, Chris Montelongo, says his life is being threatened.

"I wasn't the only one," Montelongo tells CBS News. "I can guarantee you it was most of the school who messed with Jon."

He continued, "I did bully him. But it was just both of us just messing around. I never did it because I hated him. The things I have done to him, I just wish I could take it back -- but now that he's gone, I can't do anything about it."

Chris' mother, Leticia Montelongo, says she worries about her son's safety, and picks him up from school because "he's been threatened."

next: App or Crapp? Kiddie Foreign Language App
tennmom April 1, 2010, 3:29 PM

I’ve talked to my daughters, 10 and 12, about bullying for years.
I told them that I understand how hard it can be to step in and defend someone out of fear of also being bullied. I tell them to tell a teacher. Above all, I tell them to NEVER join in.

We need to act now April 1, 2010, 7:39 PM

60 percent of boys identified as bullies by grades 6-9 will have one criminal convinction by the age of 24. 40 percent will have three or more convinctions by the age of 24. When you look at the photo of a bully - in this case, Chris Montelongo - you are looking at a criminal of tomorrow. Today’s bullies are tomorrow’s spousal abusers, child abusers and all-around-criminals. These bullies need to be on police radar NOW. They get worse, not better.

caroline April 1, 2010, 8:17 PM

Now buliies are victims? Gimme a break. I’m glad this punk is scared.

I agree with the comments above. School bullies are the future criminals. They’re the boys who grow up to be violent men.

Schools need to stop trying to group all thse kids together. Teachers know who are the good kids and they know who are the bad ones. We need to have one school system for good kids who want to go to college and stay out of trouble and one for the thugs who are going to be in and out of prison the rest of their lives.

John Davidson April 2, 2010, 9:04 AM

Perhaps Someone needss to sit down and help Chris understand that there are things he CAN do about it. He CAN do hard time. This kid isn’t sorry he bullied, he’s sorry HE is now being picked on himself. And Gosh, it’s not fun or efunny now!

And maybe his mother should have been watching him before a child died, picking him up and seeing what “messing around’ he was doing. Excusing him now is just telling him it was okayto pick on Jon until he felt he had to die.

This kid caused someone to die and he needs to remember that every day for the rest of his life.

Bill F. April 2, 2010, 9:36 AM

Look at these two kids. Clearly Chris is a lot bigger than Jon. Why wasn’t his mother teaching him what uses to be a basic rule: “Pick on someone your own size.” Seems to me that this mother is a little late in being worried about her son. Yeah, Chris is a bully and I too don’t see him as really sorry for much than the fact that he is now seeing what it felt like to be Jon. But the mother—-and the parents of the kids in Mass. Who are defending their children needs to step up and take responsibility. Fact is 14, 15 16 and 17 year old children are just that—-children and they need to be supervised, controlled and punished so they learn to be functional, moral members of society. Whay in the world, for example, does every 15 year old kid need a cell phone? Or every 16 year old a car? Or every 13 year old a Facebook account? Parents need to be parents, teachers need to be teachers and kids learn to conduct themselves with some degree of self control. Limits are not a bad thing and manners are not old fashion.

But then when you see members of congress shouting and name calling and tantruming when they don’t get their way is it any wonder tht Chris is a bully and his Mom doesn’t get it?

Gail Cooke April 2, 2010, 10:57 AM

Getting a taste of his own medicine. Good, maybe the little tyrant will take the hint. Disgusting little brat.

Ron Philley April 3, 2010, 12:44 PM

To deal with the bullying issue students must realize the power they have “to out” the bully for growth for them (bullied) and the harasser (bully). I have personally sat down with both individuals playing the role and realized many times it was the fringe trying to manipulate and cause the behavior. The innocent bystander enjoys the vicarious experience brought about through agitation of principals of the event. Many times we were able to see a resolution of the act by establishing dialogue. Problem: teachers have to teach with TAKS on their mind. Counselors are preparing class schedules and assessments and honestly counseling students is the next priority. No fault of teachers, counselors, or even administrators for that, fighting the fires and issuing discipline referrals is a busy process.
A student advocate team that is directed by a full time
Educator/counselor to be aware of student morale, student issues, student conflicts and student individual needs would be a first step to involve students to resolve issues they are facing while trying to succeed at educational goals and family issues that brought to school. Remember different students, different needs!
Educators remember individual differences! How about a Dean of Students for our Middle and High School Students? This step would immediately indicate we teach Students not just curriculum! What a show of respect!

Christina Finney April 6, 2010, 6:31 PM

I am a 8th grader at Loflin Middle School both Jon and Chris were my friends. I’m tired of people threatening Chris, before you judge him get to know him first! Jon and Chris were friends they always messed around. All the rumors at my school are really disappointing me. Chris is a very nice guy he is being accused of telling Jon to hang himself when Chris NEVER said that! Teens at my school are now threatening Chris and it needs to stop it is creating more bullying!

nikki April 13, 2010, 3:22 PM

this is so disturbing to me its simply still an issue, in my eyes this kid deserves to be scared.and anyone defending him is certainly not a victim of bullying. first off an 8th grader should be minding his/her own tounge (get the hint), second if they were such good friends then why wouldnt they talk of this bullying that seems to be going around and if in fact you did see this happening which i find hard not to believe you are simply just another case of “im too scared to tell” get a parent/teacher(if they still care) and more importantly if your going to be a friend” be about it” stop acting

Ron Philley April 19, 2010, 7:00 AM

There is an excellent web site that informs and gives good information for students and parents to help out in the bullying situation in schools.http://www.bullies2buddies.com/ I have seen it work successfully!

fsticfrankie May 2, 2010, 3:26 PM

how does it feel to be scared and on the receiving end….too late to feel bad about your actions.

Jordan May 22, 2010, 5:39 PM

Im an 8th grader at Loftlin Middle School and Christina Finney that said stuff on this page is my friend and I agree with her. Jon was a really good friend of mine and no one knew that he was going to kill himself. The Thursday before he killed himself at the end of the day he was jumping up in the air and clicking his heals together we all miss him. Chris wasn’t the only one that picked on him I don’t know why they singaled him out. Yes Jon was short for his age ,but he was one of the best guys that I knew. If i could go back in time i would and tell him how much people really cared about him. At his funeral there were so many people that people were standing outside of the church just to pay there respects…. R.I.P JON CARMICHEAL we love you and will all miss you….

becky October 20, 2010, 1:39 PM

The kid should feel bad about what he did but the teachers parents or any other adult should of stepped in. Though what the kid did was wrong that is no reason for him to be bullied. We don’t want another child to kill himself. We have enough children doing it now as it is. The cycle needs to end not keep going. That kid is going to have to live with what he did for the rest of his life.