Dr. Cooper Freedman Would Breastfeed if He Could

Check out how "Private Practice" star Paul Adelstein and his wife are preparing for their baby!

paul adelstein

Elizabeth Thorp: I recently met with childhood friend and faux pediatrician Paul Adelstein in Hollywood to catch up and find out how he and his actress wife, Liza Weil (best known as Paris Geller on "Gilmore Girls"), are prepping for parenthood.

He's not a doctor, but he plays one on TV, so I administered a baby-related flashcard test to see if Paul was truly baby-ready. Here are the images -- and his responses:

• Old-school green nasal aspirator: "Oh yes, I just used that on the set. It's a nasal suction thingy."
• Breast pump: "Breast pump, duh. Is that all you got?"
• Nursing pillow: "It's a Boppy!" (Uh, he even knows the brand names!)
• Hemorrhoid pillow: "It's a hemorrhoid seat." (I'm a little anxious that Paul knows this.)
• Gigantic pregnant stomach with angry, red stretch marks:"Oh, wow. That looks painful. Stretch marks."
• Sitz bath: "A bidet for the car!"

Technically, Paul only got the sitz bath wrong. He's either the most excited, doting husband ever, or he has been fully educated by the on-set pediatric expert. I asked Paul some follow-up questions:

Elizabeth Thorp: Are you ready for labor and delivery?

Paul Adelstein:
I'm ready for delivery, but not looking forward to seeing wifey uncomfortable or in pain -- I'm more excited than nervous.

ET: Do you think you'll revert to character in the delivery room, and try to take over the labor and delivery? Suit up with gloves and mask, tell the nurse, "Two milligrams of morphine, STAT!"?

PA:
No, I'll only ask for morphine for me.

ET: What kind of parent will you be?

PA:Sexy?

ET: Do you think you'll be a helicopter parent?

PA:
Potentially, but I think things are trending away from that in general. Most of our friends with little kids are trying not to be.

ET: How hands-on will you be? Poopy diapers? Night feedings? Calming fussy baby?

PA:
All of it. If only I had breasts ....

Baby Adelstein is due April 20. Luckily, Paul will be done shooting "Private Practice" in two weeks, and he'll be on hiatus through July. When he's not on the set or changing diapers, Paul songwrites and fronts for his Los Angeles-based band, Doris. They have a new album coming out midsummer. He has a studio in his house and is looking forward to writing songs for the baby.

The "Private Practice" set is only a mile and a half from Paul and Liza's house, and is super family-friendly. He anticipates that the new arrival will visit the set often, like Taye Diggs' infant son, Walker. The whole cast is very excited -- Taye being the most engaged, anticipating a playmate for Walker. Says Paul, "They will all be great aunts and uncles."

Paul is a native Chicagoan and an Obama supporter, and is anxious to visit Washington, DC (for obvious reasons). Wouldn't he blend in so well with his Secret-Service/Special-Agent-Kellerman training? He says he wants to come to the White House Correspondents' Dinner, maybe with castmate Tim Daly.

I told him, "Not this year, Paul -- the dinner is May 1." He smiled, thinking of the upcoming due date. "Definitely next year," he says.

next: Former Bride-To-Be Won't Return Ring
plastic surgery December 13, 2010, 8:23 AM

What a great blog. I spend days on the internet reading blogs, about tons of different subjects. I have to first of all give kudos to whoever created your website and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an amazing post. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only a few posses and frankly you have it. The combination of informative and quality content is definitely extremely rare with the large amount of blogs on the internet.

krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Thomas Promisco December 16, 2010, 12:56 PM

If funds is the only element keeping you from , that’s not a very good excuse.

prom updo hairstyles 2012 December 22, 2010, 4:44 AM

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Flossie Fico December 22, 2010, 9:55 PM

That is what you need in order to have the best and that’s even though I haven’t had the chance to write about it yet.

karty Elektroniczne December 23, 2010, 12:19 AM

Brilliant post. You know I just got back together with my ex and this blog just made me even happier.

Lashell Corrente December 23, 2010, 6:41 PM

You would need to take note this and that isn’t very essential to the entire plan.

Dirk Momsen December 25, 2010, 7:43 PM

It’s easy to be successful at as long as cute… I am excited to present to you.

Romaine Guiles December 26, 2010, 2:01 PM

Anyhoo, guess what this means?

gry dla dorosłych December 28, 2010, 7:06 PM

Yeah, good job. Keep going posting…

Winford Hesson December 29, 2010, 6:09 AM

Using a that destroys a mood for a.

dieta anului 2011 January 3, 2011, 10:17 PM

I was been trying to find the Web for this information and just wanted to thank you for the post. By the way, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – 10x

phen375 reviews January 8, 2011, 6:39 AM

Women generally usually are not looking to drop enormous levels of weight for the most part. A lot of the people utilizing phen375 are just looking to lose 5 in order to Twenty-five lbs typically and usually the belly fat. Nearly all are wholesome, visit the health club type individuals. They only have not been in a position to lose fat deposits on their own tummy or even reach the Plato. Abdominal fat problems usually start to occur for women around the time of or perhaps after child birth as well as afterwards within age pre and post menopause. It appears going to ladies whilst there hormonal changes are usually changing; it’s a standard process of lifestyle or is this? I am going to explain to you that the real fat kept in the particular tummy or even belly location differs and also the much more you’ve got of it the particular whores the hormonal discrepancy will become.

Tiffani Maggio January 10, 2011, 3:44 PM

I seriously enjoyed reading this article, I was just wanting to know do you trade featured articles? I am continuously in require someone to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

Jailbreak iPhone 2G January 13, 2011, 11:19 AM

Hey your site looks really strange in Safari on my Linux .

minilab a sous d occasion January 13, 2011, 3:57 PM

I, surely, could click with.

Belgrade January 14, 2011, 5:19 PM

As a Newbie, I am continuously exploring online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

calculer casino tropez January 17, 2011, 8:04 PM

It has quite cool and exciting for me.

peinture jeux casino partouche January 19, 2011, 7:54 PM

fraternal katren adjudicate ruffo Selim parts positional provision jocelyn gogin apprehend senso cassidy

Jenise Mavris January 19, 2011, 10:01 PM

You should definately write more about this! Please!