Jillian Michaels Won't 'Ruin' Body with Pregnancy

Damn! Talk about body issues! Famed "Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian Michaels works hard for the mon ... er, her body, but says that when it comes to popping out a kid, she won't go there.

jillian michaels

In a new interview with Women's Health magazine, Michaels says, "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body. Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

Wow. We thought Jill was pretty inspirational -- until we read this. What do you think? Did pregnancy "ruin" your body?

next: Happiness = 8-Year-Old Ukulele Boy Wonder
michelle April 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

Pregnancy definitely changed my body — and it sure didn’t make it sexier! I don’t fault Jillian at all for her decision. Her livelihood is her body and if she doesn’t want to go through pregnancy, that is totally her choice. I would even argue that adoption is more selfless than having a biological child.

Rebecca April 23, 2010, 11:26 AM

That is not all she said if you knew more about Jillian you would know that she was a heavy kid and has admitted that she has body issues. Instead of putting her down we should be applaud her for knowing her issues and admitting them good for her she didn’t say she did not like kids !!!

Shaneliz April 23, 2010, 11:26 AM

Shallow people like this shouldn’t have children anyway. Good decision.

Abby April 23, 2010, 11:27 AM

That’s so lame. Pregnancy didn’t “ruin” my body at all. In fact, I weigh less now than I did before AND I’m more fit because I now run after my 2 kids all day. To me, it sort of sounds like she’s not selfless enough for motherhood anyway.

Rachel Ley April 23, 2010, 11:27 AM

Pregnancy chgd my body, I won’t deny that but when ur a fitness guru like she is that shldn’t be a problem. She is sending a msg that she can’t be that good if she’s afraid of getting pregnant.

Sue April 23, 2010, 11:29 AM

I don’t think pregnancy ruined my body, but I also don’t do what Jillian Michaels does for a living…I don’t have her body now, didn’t have it before I got pregnant and didn’t have to worry about making my livelihood from my body.
I do think its good that she views adoption as a good alternative. There are so many children out there waiting for good parents! I think the choice of word on her part “ruin” is bad, but I do think when you do what she does for a living you have to view things a little differently than the bulk of us do. And let’s face facts, even if pregnancy does not “ruin” your body, it does put it through some pretty dramatic changes…
On the flip side - people like Dara Torres proves that you can do anything post-pregnancy with that body - even win an Olympic medal, so maybe Jillian needs to talk to Dara and others who have done some pretty amazing things after “ruining” their body with pregnancy! :)

Jennifer April 23, 2010, 11:30 AM

I haven’t read the entire article, but in the part you quoted she did not use the word “ruin.” Saying she is not able to handle pregnancy’s changes to her body is a lot different than saying she would be ashamed of how she would look, but I feel like that is what you are implying she meant. I think it’s great of her to want to adopt, and think this was an obvious attempt to make a sensational headline and an issue out of a woman’s personal choice.

Janna April 23, 2010, 11:46 AM

Good point, Jennifer. The headline is misleading, and Jillian could have meant many different things when she said she couldn’t handle doing that to her body. For those of us who can handle it, it is an extremely miraculous experience and one that only a woman who has gone through it can truly appreciate.

CJ April 23, 2010, 11:54 AM

Pregnancy is every women’s own personal choice. But if she’s worried about pregnancy ruining her body, maybe she should check out how awesome mother of three Mia Finnegan looks. Pregnancy didn’t ruin her body!

Janie April 23, 2010, 12:05 PM

Sure, Jillian has her own body and can make her own choices. That doesn’t change the fact that the reasons behind her choice are shallow ones. The commenters above are either starstruck or don’t have enough of their own wisdom to understand just how revealing a statement like that is about a person’s (especially a woman’s) character.

Krystal April 23, 2010, 12:07 PM

Her body, her choice. The reason doesn’t matter. The ones complaining about her not having them are probably the ones that freaked out about octomom having to many.

michelle April 23, 2010, 12:25 PM

Janie - A woman’s worth/character is not determined by her desire/ability to procreate.

I wonder what the comments would be like if Jillian had said she “couldn’t handle” adoption.

Krista April 23, 2010, 12:35 PM

She probaly can’t have any anyways. She has so much muscle and hard training that she doesn’t get her period

Amy April 23, 2010, 12:38 PM

“Also, when you rescue something, it’s like rescuing a part of yourself.”

That just rubs me the wrong way. What kid wants to know you adopted them for this reason?? It makes me want to gag when people say they adopt because they want to rescue someTHING. Go get a puppy for goodness sakes. I adopted my daughter because I am wanted to be a mother. Not because I was trying to rescue someTHING.

Sandy April 23, 2010, 12:46 PM

I think she is 200% right. I don’t have children,and don’t want them, but if i did i would adopt. Pregnancy ruins your entire body, its not the same. I’ve seen people after they have children. Everythings spreads. You have no belly button. Stretch marks. Its not the same body. I am 41 and have same body that i had when i was 22. Even better. She is so right.

YW April 23, 2010, 12:46 PM

The quote you provided (“I’m going to adopt. I can’t handle doing that to my body. Also, when you rescue something, it’s like rescuing a part of yourself.”) didn’t say ANYTHING about “ruining” her body with pregnancy. Reading into that quote and using the word “ruin” as if she actually said that word seems inflammatory and misleading. Why create tension between women when there’s no need to?

Janie April 23, 2010, 12:48 PM

“A woman’s worth/character is not determined by her desire/ability to procreate”

Sure it is…when the primary reason behind that lack of desire is vanity. It’s a testament to the superficial nature of popular culture and a window into her soul. In the not too recent past, women in this country understood that children are a blessing… a concept not lost on other cultures that haven’t “modernized”.

ame i. April 23, 2010, 12:54 PM

Pregnancy (twice) changed my body a bit, but certainly didn’t ruin it. I wouldn’t trade the “almost perfect” shape of the body I had my daughters for the “almost, almost perfect” body I have now.
Adoption is great for some people. I wanted children from my body.

Sandy April 23, 2010, 1:03 PM

I just go by what my friend has been saying all along, she has 2 kids, and complains about how it changed her body so much. If i wanted children, it would more sense to have them from your own genes, so they are a part of you. But if you’re looking at vanity, then adoption is more for you.

Zebb April 23, 2010, 1:12 PM

Janie, do you really think that a woman’s worth is tied to her desire to procreate, because only her “vanity” would keep her from so doing? Seems to me that the primary reason behind having children is vanity. You must think you’re something special that your genes just NEED to be passed on. The world’s resources are already stressed and strained to near breaking point, but you’re so darn special that you feel entitled to take more for yourself. That’s vanity.