Lingerie Ad Banned Because Model Too Fat?

A Lane Bryant lingerie ad was reportedly banned by ABC and FOX. Check it out:

Is this really any racier than the Victoria's Secret ads that are currently running in primetime?

The only difference we can see is that the Lane Bryant model is considerably curvier than the models in the Victoria's Secret ad. Are networks banning these ads because she is plus-sized?

The irony is that WAY more women's bodies in America resemble the Lane Bryant model's. But why should we be subjected to a sexy image of a woman who actually looks like us? Better to make us feel inadequate by flashing the Victoria's Secret models -- who we will never resemble, no matter how much we diet. Yeah, right!

What do you think?

next: 'Harry Potter' Star Has Sex In Front of His Parents
Gia Terese April 22, 2010, 3:26 PM

I think this is definitely a case of size discrimination. The VS models are showing just as much of their breasts as the one in the LB ad. The only difference - the LB model’s breasts are bigger. Though, I suspect the LB model’s larger breast aren’t exactly the issue…

Nicole April 22, 2010, 4:59 PM

This is probably a case of going to “meet dan for lunch” in only her lingerie and black coat. Why turn to discrimination first??

friend April 22, 2010, 5:51 PM

uhh… i don’t think it’s a size issue… it’s a matter of taste of the ad. personally, i liked the VS ad more than the LB ad, not because the models are different in size but because the ad was done more tastefully. it looked vibrant and lively. the LB ad looked like a sex phone ad, especially when you watch it without sound. just not appealing. plus sized people can still look sexy, BUT it depends on how you present it. it’s all about presentation.

if people DO want to get into the size issue and comparing that to the norm, first of all, nothing we see on tv is the norm, and secondly, we want to see things that are easy on the eyes and to most people, fat and muscles that are more than necessary are less than appealing. if people really liked to see fat people, let me know how those krispy kreme calendars of fat people sell and displayed.

Sally April 22, 2010, 7:41 PM

If this was a matter of taste, then explain to me why the Herbal Essence ads ran for so long and were so explicit in their sexual connotation. I think it may be an issue of size, but I wouldn’t say its a “fat” issue. I think its the fact that a curvier body is more sexual. It may be the same amount of skin, but in a more appealing figure (and I am not talking about person preference, its just a fact that curves=sexy).

Anonymous April 23, 2010, 4:16 AM

I shown this ad to my husband to get a man point of view and he asked me to replay it again and again…No matter what we women think men want, most men will tell you they appreciate the “extra” curves in a woman.

Cheri April 23, 2010, 6:36 AM

The curvier women ARE sexier and I think that is the issue. It’s acceptable to look at skinny models as “objects” but curvier women are more like someone you might know.

Anonymous Mom April 23, 2010, 6:56 AM

Maybe the issue is, this ad is, um, arousing more men than the VS ad? ;-)

Anon Male April 23, 2010, 11:57 AM

As A male I agree that this is simply a case of size discrimination. It is extremely unfortunate , but not surprising, that a network would take this position. The ONLY difference between the 2 ads is that the Lane Bryant model has a ample chest. Great message it sends to young women/girls. Be stick thin a get only TV, be real in terms of size and shape and we ban you.

Angel April 25, 2010, 6:04 PM

A lot more skin was shown in the VS ad and it was much more overt in showing off the women’s bodies and sex appeal. The line is called ‘naked’ for crying out loud. How obvious can they be, and yet the LB ad was banned? There is definitely some kind of discrimination going on here. What I can’t figure out is why. The LB model is very sexy despite the added size. It may be the added size that makes her sexier. In any case, the LB ad isn’t any more explicit about sex than many other ads out there (like the Herbal Essence ones that Sally pointed out).

Kristin April 26, 2010, 5:07 PM

I’ve been boycotting VS for years (since a breastfeeding issue a few years back). I only with I could boycott something double.

wow May 4, 2010, 8:05 AM

Curvier women are sexier anyway! who wants a twig?

Wrognofftof June 9, 2010, 9:38 AM

test posting test posting

Nooneinparticular August 25, 2010, 11:10 AM

Perhaps it was the BL model’s ample chest bouncing as she went out the door half-dressed? Or the numerous close-ups of her bewbs? Sorry, but I think the BL ad was much more racy than the VS. But I don’t think either one belongs on TV.

Pozycjonowanie December 8, 2010, 11:39 PM

a lot of thanks for this worthy information.. finally found what i wanted to know..

Pozycjonowanie December 9, 2010, 12:07 AM

A lot of thanks for a astoundingblog, I am reallysure I shallsave it to my bookmarks.

Pozycjonowanie December 9, 2010, 12:59 AM

alike to my kind of content message

Anonymous February 4, 2011, 6:57 AM

The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.
communication skill

gunfoor123 February 5, 2011, 7:20 AM

I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.
love quotes

Andrew Kent February 5, 2011, 2:21 PM

The irony is that WAY more women’s bodies in America resemble the Lane Bryant model’s. But why should we be subjected to a sexy image of a woman who actually looks like us?
krill oil

gunfoor123 February 6, 2011, 7:40 AM

Very nicely written post it contains useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.
Top Web Hosts