Mom Saves $25,000 a Year by Using Coupons

Jamie Chase, mom of two, saves $25,000 a year by using coupons. She shares her secrets with the NBC "Nightly News":

Jamie is such a pro, she even teaches a class on using coupons at Northern Essex Community College in Massachusetts.

Here are her top tips:

• Combine sales, coupons and promotions for extra savings.

• E-mail the company, telling them how much you like the product. They will often send you a coupon for a free item in return.

• Use "cats" -- coupons that print with your register receipt.

• Buy extra copies of the Sunday paper. The savings easily cover the costs.

Clipping coupons sometimes feels like such a pain. But for $25,000, we'll MAKE the time!

Do YOU clip coupons ... or are you too busy to even go there?

next: Just a Guy Whose Teen Wants to Drop Out of High School
Corvette Liz April 27, 2010, 12:10 PM

My sitter met me one evening with the story of how my son who was 4 at the time told her that she could not buy something. “Because it was not Sale, and she did not have a coupon.” She was very proud of him, just like I was. That is how I shopped. It stopped him from asking for everything he seen while in the cart at the store with me. :)

Yum Yucky April 27, 2010, 12:26 PM

When I clip coupons, I sometimes end up buying something I don’t even need. Just because I have a coupon. Savings FAIL.

Kimberly at Frugal Playground April 27, 2010, 12:35 PM

I have a love hate relationship with coupons, but I probably hate them more than I love them. $24000 a year is almost $500 a week! We don’t spend even close to that amount let alone save that much.

Jessica April 27, 2010, 4:17 PM

Nice summary… You can also try combining coupons and price comparison, just to determine the true value of a product. I know Onewayshopping.com is already doing that. All in One Place.

Barb April 28, 2010, 7:09 AM

When I see these stories, I’m always confused about what they’re buying and eating. I get it that you can find coupons for many packaged foods, but I can’t say I’ve EVER gotten a coupon for grapes. Or watermelon. Or fresh asparagus. So while I envy this family’s savings, I wonder about their diet.

Sarah May 24, 2010, 2:19 PM

If you’re worried about your family’s diet and the environment, I found a great site with coupons and discounts for family-friendly, eco-friendly, natural, and organic products from toys to food. Check it out! http://www.mindful-mama.com/marketplace.aspx

Anonymous February 4, 2011, 5:13 AM

It is a very good and informative article indeed. It is great to have such a nice articles.It really helps me to enhance my knowledge. I hope to see more articles in future.
Kite

gunfoor123 February 5, 2011, 7:06 AM

Another great example of innovation, I am glad to find it. There are so many developers working on this segment but this is one of the best innovative idea ever. Thanks for sharing it here.
love messages

cityvville February 13, 2011, 3:31 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!