Mom Sues Makers of Gardasil

Mom Tracy Wolf is suing the makers of Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. Her daughter, Alexis, has suffered from seizures and has endured brain damage since getting the vaccination in 2007 and 2008.

Alexis Wolf

Alexis has experienced uncontrollable vomiting and seizures, and is narcoleptic during the day. She can't sleep at night and is in constant pain. She has suffered brain damage as a result of her seizures. She has the urge to eat constantly, and her mother must lock the refrigerator. She has been forced to drop out of school.

Last year, momlogic interviewed the mother of Jenny Tetlock. Jenny Tetlock was a 15-year-old girl who lost her battle to a rapidly degenerative neurological disease on March 15, 2009. She started developing symptoms just two months after her final Gardasil injection.

"It has been very hard to link the reported incidents, reactions and deaths to the vaccination, partly because there is no obvious pattern and the absolute numbers are low," says OB/GYN Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz. "But for most mothers, they are obviously a cause for concern."

How do you determine whether the benefits outweigh the risks for your daughter? For more guidance, download momlogic's printable guide: Should Your Daughter Get the Gardasil Vaccine? Questions Every Mother Should Ask.

Would you allow (or have you allowed) your daughter to get the Gardasil vaccine? Why or why not?

next: Lingerie Ad Banned Because Model Too Fat?
Danielle April 22, 2010, 5:39 PM

I’ve definitely wasn’t a fan about this product when it came out. Ugh. Sad story.

Anon April 23, 2010, 3:07 PM

My daughter had the shot and had problems at all.

Jacqueline April 23, 2010, 5:55 PM

There are risks with this vaccine no doubt.

I’m glad more and more people are beginning to take this company to court.

norma April 24, 2010, 10:57 AM

My 17 year old daugher was perfectly healthy until she received the first Gardasil shot. Since then she suffers from: Nausea, Dizziness, Stomach Pain, Hair Loss, Tremors, Auto Imunnes disorders, Leg Pain, Muscle Weakness, Severe Fatigue, has had Hpylori two times in 7 months and is now suffering from depression due to being sick daily and doctors not able to help her. Please read about these side effects before vaccinating, it has robbed my daughter of her normal life.

norma April 24, 2010, 11:03 AM

My 17 year old daugher is one on thousands of young girl suffeirng daily from the side effects of Gardasil. Please research these side effects before vaccinating your child. They say the side effects are not serious but this in not true. Any child that suffers from: Nausea, Dizziness, Stomach Pain, Hair Loss, Tremors, Paralysis, Seizures, Strokes, Muscle Weakness,Auto Immune Disoders to name a few, on a daily basis is experiencing SEVERE side effects.

Beth April 24, 2010, 9:15 PM

Not so fast, ladies. I am 26 years old, slept with 4 people my entire life (all monogamous), and I have had HPV.

Several of my friends (8 to be exact) also have HPV. I should warn that one of my dear friends came down with cervical cancer at age 22 (and no, she was not promiscuous, neither was her fiancee).

And these are just the friends I trust enough to talk about this with. The ones I haven’t asked, I assume probably half have it.

My friend Megan, who is vowing not to have sex until marriage and still has not, also has HPV. It can be transferred even without penetration (and can be transferred even with a condom on, because condoms don’t cover the entire genital area) - it is spread by skin-to-skin contact.

My advice is, if you are wary of Gardasil, wait until your daughter is 18 and can make the choice herself. If you know she is sexually active, it perhaps IS beneficial to leave the choice up to her. When you first become sexually active, you NEVER think you’re going to get anything. That’s the sole reason why I didn’t get vaccinated when it first came out. What is the expression, prevention is a penny and regret is a pound?

Kristin April 26, 2010, 5:05 PM

My best friend never got even a cold before she got this. Now she gets sick much more often. My sisters and I didn’t get this, thank God!

cna training April 26, 2010, 8:16 PM

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

Leonida Haft December 31, 2010, 11:33 PM

You made a number of good points there. I did a search on the matter and found the majority of people will agree with your blog.