Mom Takes the Challenge: Have Sex One Day in a Row

Could you have sex with your partner every day for a month  to improve a stagnant relationship?

On paper, it sounds like a fun idea. BUT SHEESH FOR 30 DAYS STRAIGHT?!

A couple who took the month-long plunge, Sarah and Colin Kavanagh, recorded their daily nookie in diary format on the Daily Mail's website. On the first day, Sarah gleefully wrote, "There's no time like the present, so, for the first time in at least five years we make love on a work day before I've even put the kettle on."

Kids on Bed

Really? Where were the kids?! Watching as they ate their porridge?! Turns out, Sarah and Colin don't have children. No small wonder: If they did, they'd be hard-pressed to figure out how to manage any kind of "private time" -- even of the "quickie" variety. Especially before work!

Before kids, you can have sex anytime, anywhere. You can have it in the kitchen ... heck, you can have it in the REFRIGERATOR if that floats your boat. Here's a fact: Anyone who tells you that spontaneous sex is possible with a bunch of little rugrats running around is A) a liar, or B) a liar.

I know firsthand. I tried the 30-day experiment a while back. My account was quite different from the Kavanagh's.

DAY ONE: Our 4-year-old daughter is sleeping. No time like the present! My husband and I share a kiss and start to undress to kick off our 30-days-of-nookie experiment. Immediately, we hear a little voice: "Daddy, Mommy, what are you doing?!"

"Nothing, sweetie," I call back. "Now go to sleep."

Out of nowhere, she appears, hands on hips. We quickly try to cover up with the sheet. "Mommy, why aren't you wearing a shirt? Daddy, why are your pants on the floor? Daddy, why are you holding my mommy's bra?? (starting to cry) Give it back to her! THAT'S MY MOMMY'S BRA!!"

DAY TWO: We vow to try to have sex before Lily gets up in the morning. We set the alarm for 6 AM. We needn't have bothered: At 5:50, Lily jumps onto our bed and proceeds to throw up all over our freshly laundered comforter. The window of time set aside for our union goes to checking Lily's temperature, giving her a bath and washing vomit-scented sheets.

DAY THREE: After I've spent the last day and night taking care of a sick kid while simultaneously working from home, my husband approaches me for our third attempt at getting it on. Unfortunately, I've passed out on the couch, fully dressed and drooling. Sexy.

DAY FOUR: We try again, but this time we try to do it on the living-room floor. My husband lays me down -- directly on top of a Polly Pocket tea set, which jams me in the lower back.

DAY FIVE: Husband (after working a 15-hour day): "Is it OK if we don't?" Me: "I love you."

I guess you could say our attempt at 30 days of consecutive sex was a failure, but we're not discouraged. We keep trying. Can anyone pony up for 30 days of babysitting?

next: Dads Who Are Disgusted by Childbirth
srsh April 28, 2010, 4:01 AM

typical wife excuse for not putting out. I understand that there are days that sex isn’t possible because of children but you make it sound as if sex must stop completely.

Your daughter is 4 years old. Does she also sleep on the same bed every night??

Stop raising spoiled brats & train your children to actually show some independence.

Plagmul April 28, 2010, 4:16 AM

Locks on the doors. Locks on the doors. Looking like FOOLS without locks on the doors.

chris April 28, 2010, 5:12 AM

We always lock the door when we have sex and our kids know that if the door is locked, they are not to bother us unless the house is on fire or someone got hurt:-). It is hard to have sex around the kids but we find the time and places to do it. We like the time right after my husband gets home from work and before we have dinner. The kids are usually busy with their own thing at that time so we can get away for 20 minutes or so. Be creative and not only will your husband thank you but your own body will. Sex is a great stress reliever! Enjoy.

tlee26 April 28, 2010, 6:58 AM

My wife and I are the very proud parents of a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl and we manage to have sex about 2-3 times a week, generally once we have put the kids to bed of an evening. Once they are asleep they sleep through until morning so we make the most of the time we have alone. I don’t believe your account I’m afraid, it reads like a readers letter in a low quality magazine. We wouldn’t consider it at all whilst the children are awake for fear of them coming in and nobody wants that.

Samantha  April 28, 2010, 7:39 AM

i decided to kind of do this experiment a while back since our sex life had dwindled since having our first child. we decided that doing it for a straight week would be enough to kickstart it again. that was 9 months ago. i’m due to give birth any day now. lmao. everytime i think about me challenging my husband to a week of passion, i look down at my belly and laugh.

Mrs. Collins April 28, 2010, 7:41 AM

I can agree with this, only b/c I have a 6 month old and a 19 month old! I would hope once they are 4, we will have more order and more time

Black Iris April 28, 2010, 8:20 AM

I love this article! Funny and real. I think the best approach is to accept that sex won’t be as good when your kids are little. Then do your best.

About the Daily Mail article, I can’t believe a couple without children needed to take a challenge to get their sex life going! What are they thinking?

Common Sense April 28, 2010, 10:13 AM

The fools that read & comment. Seriously everyone needs to grow up & except that every couple or family is different & unique.

Kit April 28, 2010, 3:45 PM

Here’s the thing. If your kids aren’t accustomed to treating their parents with respect - not only is SEX impossible, so is going to the bathroom, grocery shopping, or anything else without putting up with exactly this sort of behavior.
I have THREE kids, and I enjoy my relationship with my husband.
Teach her to knock- and RESPECT her parents.
Not much you can do with a sick kid, but manners?
4 years old is a bit old for that type of behavior.

Danielle April 30, 2010, 11:57 AM

no lies here, it is possible ^_^ try the closet or pantry!! unless you aren’t determined and creative….you can have good lovin if your flexible too….I have 3 kids under the age of 5.

ali May 22, 2010, 9:29 PM

We’ve been married for 25 years and have undergone this sort of situation where the children woke up while we’re having sex. What we did was cover ourselves with the bedsheet while having sex. So if one of them woke up we just stay motionless under the sheet. My child’ll think that we’re asleep and he’ll just go back to sleep. It really works, unless he wants to go to the toilet. We have 12 children; 6 boys and 6 girls. Only the youngest 2 will sleep in our bed. My wife and I normally sleep on the floor, on the mattress. Slightly hidden from the children’s direct eyeview. Ample time to cover yourselves when the situation arises.

Reflexion May 11, 2011, 4:01 AM

This could become your best writing yet!

frasesreflexion.blogdrive.com