Mo'Nique's Brother Says He's Not a Monster

Today on "Oprah," Mo'Nique's brother, Gerald Imes, apologized to his sister for years of sexual abuse. (Mo'Nique did not appear on the show.)

This is the first time he has publicly admitted the sexual abuse of his then-7-year-old sister when he was 13. The abuse continued for two years.

Imes says that he was a victim of molestation himself. He explains, "I started using cocaine, heroine, alcohol at the age of 11. I used these drugs to hide my own pain, to hide my own fears. The drugs allowed me and afforded me the opportunity to hurt my sister."

Imes asked for forgiveness and said he hopes that he and "Precious" star Mo'Nique can come back together as siblings and become a family again.

After a crime this horrific, do you think it's ever possible to become "siblings" again?Comment below.

next: Think Maternity Clothes Are Ugly? You're Right!
notmydaughters April 19, 2010, 2:30 PM

This sickens me to know that this horrific crime will continue to go on through generations. This man is a monster. I cannot believe that Oprah has this bleep bleep on her show crying as if we care about his feelings. What he and other monsters like himself have done is destroyed the innocence of children. For the parents, they should be truly ashamed and it is apparent to me that they were used to this type of situaations and not doing anything about it. Sick, just sick.

Connie April 19, 2010, 3:47 PM

Where were the parents? Families need to be close and children need to l) be able to always confide in them and 2) know what behavior is acceptable and how to act appropriately. Seems no parent was there paying attention or modeling and requiring appropriate societal behavior. It is of course right to forgive but not necessarily forget, but don’t know if I could or would

Connie April 19, 2010, 3:51 PM

Where were the parents? It is parents responsiblity to keep their children safe, to provide a safe environment, let their children know they can always confide anything to them, and be there for them, modeling and demanding appropriate societal behavior. It is ofcourse religiously right to forgive but not necessarily forget but dont know if I could or would. As for a future relationships, absolutely not.

Rachael April 19, 2010, 8:25 PM

Unforgiveable.

brittani j April 19, 2010, 8:25 PM

I’m lost for words on this one. True he was wrong and where were the parents. But, this is w’ere forgiveness kicks in. I don’t know if i’d be able to forgive him. Lost on this one. Hopefully he and mo’nique will be able to talk one day.

Former victim April 19, 2010, 8:30 PM

No forgiveness this stays with you forever sorry but screw forgiveness

Helen April 19, 2010, 8:32 PM

It’s almost as if appeared just so that he can give his side which was full of excuses and so people can feel sorry for him, he is sick.

Carolyn April 19, 2010, 10:05 PM

I think it would be cathartic for Mo’Nique to hear him admit his faults, but I can’t imagine how they would ever have any kind of relationship again. That would mean forgiving him and how do you forgive someone for hurting a child?

pamela April 20, 2010, 12:30 AM

I read an article where Monique did state that she told her mom about this at the time it happened and her mom told her she was lying and her brother wouldn’t do that to her.

Janice April 20, 2010, 12:54 AM

I’d like to be an optimist and think there is always a road to redemption IF one takes honest actions of contrition. Granted that this case is one of the worst there is, if Mo’Nique feels that healing through reconciliation is possible then I hope both of them can set a shining example that others can follow. If not, then I wouldn’t blame her one bit. Not one bit what-so-ever.

Bestlife April 20, 2010, 3:49 AM

You are a monster, Did you forget what the abuse felt like when you were a victim. Why would you want to introduce that same pain to your baby sister. No excuse No excuse. Look at what you have done to her for years you’re part blame for her inconsistent relationships in the past. Because of you she was’nt able to trust sincere love. Thank God for Sid her hero. You Monster!!!!

Black Iris April 20, 2010, 7:50 AM

I don’t think the question is he a monster is a useful one. He did a terrible, horrible thing. At the time he was a minor and a drug addict. He was abused and he passed the pain on to someone else; this is bad, but also very common.
I have much more sympathy for him than I would for an adult abuser.
I’d like to see him focus on what he can do to make up for it, how he can help Mo’Nique. That would show true repentance to me.
Whether or not the victim forgives the abuser is up to her or him. They may not be able to.

Anonymous April 20, 2010, 7:51 AM

I wonder if any of this has something to do with Mo’Nique’s open marriage? She might not like sex or she might not value herself.

Bee April 20, 2010, 7:56 AM

I havent seen the interview. The thought of it is just sickening to the pit of my stomach. Brothers are there to love and protect you,not hurt you. My opinion is Monique needs to forgive and let go, for HER sake. Holding on will eat away at her soul. As for being siblings and family again,i dont think so. How does she ever trust him again. As for him being around her children and being an uncle. HELL NO! You can forgive someone, that doesnt mean they have to enter your life again.

johnsonj3 April 20, 2010, 12:47 PM

I hope he has asked God forgivness also because on Judgement day God will have the final answer. God Bless Mo as she goes on with her life and raise her children. her mother and father should have been there for her years ago, they will have to answer for what they did not do.

NotThePest April 20, 2010, 3:24 PM

Family background:

Mom was an engineer

Dad was a … wait for it …clinical therapist.

Brother Harold, The Monster, did 12/13 years for molesting a 15 year old when he was a young adult.

Folks there is a pattern here.

a mother  April 20, 2010, 4:07 PM

This story breaks my heart. Many have asked where were the parents. I ask them, Have you ever left you kids home when they were mature enough to stay alone? probably yes. It doesnt seem as if the parents tried to keep him from going to jail for his crimes. the sad thing is that both kids were affected for life. both expressed their abuse differently.

lisa ferrer April 21, 2010, 5:52 PM

i think mo’nique knows her family suffers from what i call a sick family, i mean her brother obviously had some serious issues. mo’nique has to realize that no matter how devastating it may have been for her, her molester is her mothers son just like mo’nique is her daughter. did she really expect for her mother to put her son in jail or disown him. i think something of that nature should have been dealt with inside the family.