Mother of Invention

Shari Storm: What inventions have changed your life?

melinda knight

A friend recently posted on her Facebook page one interesting question: "What do you think the top three inventions of all time are?" The answers were plentiful -- and as varied as her friends.

My list was:

Cookie dough ice cream
Wonderbra bras
GPS

I remember when Ben & Jerry launched their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream in Seattle. It was the summer of 1991. My best friend and I were living in a ransacked fraternity house at the University of Washington (we were barely in our 20s at the time). We would drive all over the city looking for that ice cream. I wondered at the time how nobody had thought of that combination before. Nineteen years later, it is still one of my favorite desserts.

It was only a few years later that another roommate introduced me to the concept of the Wonderbra. I remember looking at my profile in amazement after trying one on. I had never felt so feminine or sexy. God bless the miracle of push-ups!

Just when I thought nothing could impress me again, along came the GPS. My husband's parents gave me one after I got lost in the mountains with our three young daughters and drove around the dark, snowy roads for hours. I have a horrible sense of direction, and that little talking unit in my car has changed my quality of life completely. I recently discovered that you can get luggage with GPS badges in them. How brilliant is that?! You never have to rely on the airlines to tell you where your luggage is again!

It was at about that same time that this Facebook game had me marveling over how drastically inventions can improve your life. Then I met Melinda Knight, founder of Womentorz. Melinda and I hit it off right away. She is funny, pretty, smart and nice. Her website is brilliant, too.

Womentorz is a website dedicated to female inventors. It features fantastic inventions: gloves that attach to your stroller (have you ever tried to manage a baby with gloves on?); bibs to put over your dining-room chairs; and (my favorite) Lizzie Lou flip-flops with fabulous bling.

I love the idea of featuring women and their inventions on a commerce site -- and Melinda has done that beautifully. Stop by her site. She deserves your support.

So: What are your three favorite inventions of all time?

Renae  April 19, 2010, 3:48 PM

I really don’t understand why GPS is so great. Maps work too.

Lindy April 19, 2010, 4:12 PM

I agree Renae. DH & I drove all the way from the WI to VA just using maps.

Stephanie  April 19, 2010, 4:14 PM

When my DD was a baby my cordless phone was a godsend.

Marie April 19, 2010, 4:27 PM

Lindy and Ranae, you clearly dont own one!
Because if you do, you will understand the beauty and security that a gps offer. Plus the maps cant tell you where is the next Starbucks!!

Melinda Knight April 19, 2010, 6:12 PM

This is the sweetest article ever!!! Thank you so much for supporting Womentorz and the ladies on the site. We’re getting new inventions up every day now.

One of the tips I got from your AWESOME book was using Google Alerts and this article came up. I received so many great tips from your book.

I can’t tell you how glad I am that we met. It was like a breath of fresh air! BTW I’m glad the $20 I gave you to say I was pretty paid off. Thank you!!! I hope to see you soon.

Big Hugs,

Mel

Ros Guerrero April 19, 2010, 6:58 PM

Melinda is a fantastic woman & entrepreneur and is one of the biggest cheerleaders for women inventors. I’m very proud to be associated with the Womentorz company and especially the brainz behind it all - Melinda Knight. She rocks!

Cristina G April 19, 2010, 7:46 PM

katydid cloth diapers, baby back pack carriers, and last but not least and my favorite… iPhone!!!!

Jennifer Reyes April 20, 2010, 6:30 AM

We had the great opportunity to work with Melinda as well. Fantastic idea!!

I am the mommy inventor of the award winning BPA free Sippy Straw Cleaner found at www.strawcleaner.com

I have to say, that tops my list due to the fact that I despised having to clean those pesky little straws. Other than that, I would have to say the CAMERA… I cold NOT live without it!!

Jennifer Reyes April 20, 2010, 6:37 AM

We had the great opportunity to work with Melinda as well. Fantastic idea!!

I have to say, that tops my list of favorite inventions, as I just dispised having to clean those pesky little straws. Other than that, I would have to say, the CAMERA —- as there is noway I could ever live without it!!

Sheena Edwards April 20, 2010, 8:52 AM

Thank you Shari for mentioning Womentorz.com and Lizzie Lou Shoes! It is an honor to work all the amazing women on Womentorz. We have all supported and promoted each other &I am so happy to be a part of it!
PS. Favorite ice cream—cookie dough too!

Aimee Purcell April 20, 2010, 11:49 AM

Us “mom inventors” are a very innovative group. Womentorz is a terrific tool and Mel is the best! She has created a great community of women, I’m thrilled to be part of it.
Favorite invention, the ipod!

Thanks, inventor of The Chair Bib!

shari storm April 25, 2010, 7:29 AM

Renae - I didn’t think GPS would be that big of a deal until I had one.

Maps can’t tell you, based on the traffic ahead, what time you will arrive at your destination.

Maps can’t provide you with the address of a business.

And lastly, maps can’t tell you where to turn in Snoop Dog’s voice (think what you may about the man, he does have a smooth voice!)

Kari April 25, 2010, 11:54 AM

Great inventions, one and all!

hotels oesterreich May 3, 2010, 3:38 AM

Early Whatever,below danger nature whilst teacher expert pound school busy condition fine require adopt because chair battle never limit challenge peace institution good work totally region will cup consider may finding source attend resource market alright then beside obvious hit cost nothing consumer these affair player back shut suppose relationship high member device murder relationship facility bed belief question police help avoid security percent hence add brain before congress conduct output source hide within too so use sex say file sentence welfare today dinner reason wood twice ago remove

rinbell October 12, 2010, 2:38 AM

I would like to exchange links with your site www.momlogic.com
Is this possible?