My 9-Year-Old Believes in the Easter Bunny

And I don't want to burst her bubble!

easter bunny

Guest blogger Charlotte: By some miracle, my 9-year-old daughter still believes in the Easter Bunny. I know what you're thinking: It's cruel to perpetuate this myth in a child so old, right? Especially when all her friends tell her she's crazy to think a rabbit delivers gift-laden baskets to all the children of the world. She believes it, though, because she believes me when I tell her that yessiree, the Easter Bunny is the real deal.

Say what you will, but I simply cannot fess up to this! For one thing, I enjoy preparing her basket the night before, and I love seeing her excitement on Easter morning. And two, she's been brought up with a pretty strict "no lying" policy. How can I let her know that her father and I have been snowing her this long without sounding like a hypocrite? Forget it! And then of course there's the issue of her still believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, too. To admit to one being bulls**t is to admit that all of them are. No, no, no: I just cannot face her disappointment -- in the truth, and in me -- if we came clean.

Eventually, though, she'll figure it out. I can already see her standing there, eyebrow raised, hands on hips and the toe a-tapping. But her father and I have decided to stick together, and for as long as we're alive, NEVER admit to anything. We've already planned our response: "Someone is eating the carrots we leave out on Easter Eve. Someone is hiding the eggs and leaving the baskets .... It's not us -- so who is it? You do the math, kiddo ...." Hopefully the implied "wink-wink" will be understood. And if not, we can always pull out the "big gun," which will surely force her to reconsider:

"If you don't believe, you won't receive."

Yes, I think that might do the trick quite well.

next: 'Jihad Jamie' Brought Back From Ireland to Face Terror Charges
Sharon April 3, 2010, 11:34 AM

I always go with, if you don’t believe you won’t receive. I think it is very fun to believe. Makes it all very magical and exciting.

beckie April 3, 2010, 6:50 PM

My sweet 9-yr-old believes too. She is the oldest of four. It makes holidays so fun for her and for us. I do feel a little guilty at times, because like you say— she believes in these characters because she believes me. I feel a little bit over my head now. When do I tell her?

stacey April 4, 2010, 8:55 AM

wowww this is not okay at all! I remember in 7th grade there was this one boy who still believed in santa clause/easter bunny/tooth fairy. Let’s just say he was pretty much made fun of behind his back AND to his face all the way through high school. especially for the fact that he was do adament that santa DID, in fact, exist. A nine year old believing in this is just not appropriete. It’s not cute, it’s not funny.. it’s uneducated and very embarassing for everyone involved.

Anonymous April 4, 2010, 10:56 AM

Wow Stacey…
Shes nine not twelve.
She will probably find out/ grow out it by middle school.

I think its cute she still believes :)
Its true, it makes the holiday more magical.

Santa Claus April 4, 2010, 12:07 PM

Dear Stacey:

FYI: My legal name is Santa Claus. I’m a Christian Monk, as St. Nicholas was many centuries ago, and serve as a full-time volunteer advocate for millions of vulnerable children in dire straits. It would appear that you may be the one, as you wrote, who is “uneducated.” Please visit TheSantaClausFoundation dot org and become better informed.

Blessings to all, Santa Claus

Julie McCracken April 4, 2010, 4:07 PM

When my son was three years old he woke in the night screaming. He was so frightened that he could hardly speak. He’d seen the Easter bunny! I had been reading him a story about a little fluffy bunny in the run up to Easter and I couldn’t understand why he was so terrified. Years later he was able to explain. Co-incidentally, in the run up to Easter that year, there was a huge promotion for the film ‘Roger Rabbit’. Roger was a manic, machine gun toting wild eyed rabbit that appeared in the commercials ‘blowing away’ his rivals with machine gun fire. Every time I mentioned anything about the Easter bunny coming in the night to deliver a surprise present, my son imagined Roger The Rabbit rather than the fluffy bunny. Unfortunately I’d mentioned it quite a few times in the week before Easter, which only amplified his terror. Understandably, I let him know that the Easter bunny doesn’t exist. He still had chocolate egg hunts though!

Chrissy April 4, 2010, 4:14 PM

Maybe she’s faking it? for the sake of her younger siblings? Or because of the horrible “if you don’t believe you won’t receive” parenting concept?
I faked in believing on Santa Claus for a year because of my younger brother (and convinced my parents as well). And when I was 10, my youngest brother was born I faked believing all over again.

Sami April 6, 2010, 2:19 AM

I think it’s cute and “magical” that your 9 year old still beleives in the Easter bunny and all the other “magical” things.It’s what being a child is all about.Sure one day she may see how things are in the “real” world,but right now,let her “believe”.What harm will it do? I think you and your hubby are doing a great job and I only wished I had parents like you!

Jacqueline May 16, 2010, 8:58 AM

Let her be a kid as long as possible!!!!

Melanie May 31, 2010, 1:58 PM

1. I’m a 13 year old, and I knew they weren’t real! My parents are always like that ^^
2. I believed in those things till 5th grade, my teacher said it was a myth and basically I didn’t care. I got over it pretty quick.
3. Let her be a kid. Kids are happy, and have faith in miricles and stuff like that.
4. OR you can let her grow out of it. Sooner or later she’s going to leave it behind like I did.
Hope it helps ^^