My Kids Have Their Own Computer

I know you may be thinking that I am nuts, but I don't see the harm in it.

girl using computer

Guest blogger Madeline: When I got pregnant with our third child, our guest bedroom/office had to be dismantled to make room for a nursery. The bed went into the garage, the desk was sold on Craigslist and the computer went into our children's room. They, of course, loved this set-up, but some of my friends thought the idea was a mistake. Even though we limit our kids' use of the Internet to 30 minutes of math games a night ("fun stuff" on the weekends only), if I'm to believe the experts (and my friends), children shouldn't be allowed to have a computer in their room.

I get it: Kids are sneaky. While we may think they're practicing their multiplication facts, they could be on YouTube watching God knows what -- or worse, right? Nope. My kids have been busted a couple of times playing on sites reserved for weekend computer use, and as a result have temporarily lost more than just their online privileges: They've lost my trust. This is why the security on their computer has been set up like Fort Knox -- they couldn't get on an unapproved site even if they wanted to. And plus, I'm a very nosy mommy.

I check the history on their computer to make sure nothing's slipped under my radar, and so far, so good. However, I'm not so naïve as to believe it won't ever happen. After all, my kids are the offspring of two former mischievous teenagers. It's in their blood to try and sneak around our rules. Which is why when they're teens (and perhaps smart enough to get around our security precautions) we will have a communal computer where online activity can be monitored even more.

So for now, I'm comfortable with a computer in their bedroom. Crazy? What do you think?

next: Prom 2010: Expensive and Slutty
Anonymous April 6, 2010, 5:29 AM

30 minutes of computer per night? Do you even hang out with your kids? And checking a history is not fail-safe. Histories are quite easy to clear.

You say your kids have already gone to sites you disapprove of - if they’ve done it once they are probably still doing it since you allowed them to have the computer back.

Children given such a large, expensive, adult item at such a young age is part of the reason teens now have crazy and unrealistic sense of self-entitlement.

CD April 6, 2010, 11:15 AM

My kids have their own computer too, with limited access as well. Obviously I say “not crazy”, and really don’t see the big deal about it at all. Yes it’s a big adult item- sort of. It’s also an integral part of life and will continue to be- may as well get them “fluent” on it from the start.

Anonymous April 6, 2010, 11:25 AM

Completely ridiculous, uneccesary and way to spoil a child. One computer in the house in the family room NOT their bedroom is enough. And they can become fluent in actual computing WITHOUT internet.

Hannah April 7, 2010, 12:39 PM

I didn’t have my OWN computer until i was 17 had a job and paid for it myself muchless have one in my room. This is for several reasons.
1 (obviously) because you CAN access things lie to your parents and see VERY inappropriate things. Plus if they’re like me when i was a kid I would listen for my parents and stop doing whatever i was doing wrong (not with a computer because i didnt have one just whatever i wasn’t supposed to do) kids are sneaky its to dangerous to let them have access to the internet alone. Ours was in the dining room.
2 Electronics do not grow on trees. We were taught the value of a dollar. If we wanted something expensive we had to earn it. Really earn it not just be obedient. My parent’s didn’t buy us a t.v., a computer, game systems, Neither did they pitch in for a car or pay for college. If we wanted something we had to earn the money ourselves. And let me tell you, what i do have i earned and appreciate far more than if my parents had just given it to me. I was so excited when i earned the money for my computer picked it bought it. I felt awesome. It wouldn’t have been the same if they’d have given it to me.

Jillian April 10, 2010, 8:29 AM

That’s just scary. So you are going to look at what awful things your kids have seen after it is too late. Yep sounds like a plan to me. I’ll stick to monopoly at the kitchen table, thank you.

Melissa April 17, 2010, 9:33 AM

I think what you’re doing is perfectly reasonable, and a good way to get your kids used to using a computer in moderation. Computers are a big part of our lives and this teaches them that they can be helpful, but not all-consuming.

Good work! You seem to know exactly what you’re doing and I think you’re doing a great job. Also, 30 minutes of math games a night is not too much, its very appropriate.

Anonymous April 25, 2010, 6:15 AM

Wow your kids are teenagers math games for 30 min. a night? They are at school all day learning and then when they get home they can only play math games? Now this sounds like a 8 year old set up. If they are teens you need to be able to trust them and keep them on a leash but not one that is one foot long. If people think thats crazy to have a computer in a teens room then they clearly have issues. I am a kid and im 13 i have a computer in my room but my parents just block the sites that are inapropriate, and youtube is not inapropriate they dont let people post bad stuff on there and if they do its flagged for removal and gone. All of my friends have computers and its fine my parents just make sure i do my chores and homework first and then i can play on the computer.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:33 AM

It is good too read your website again dude, i see some interesting updates here…