Celebs 'Too Posh to Push"?

Was Posh Spice "too posh too push"?

Recent reports say that a growing number of women are requesting delivery by elective cesarean section. What is causing this increase? Celebrity moms like Victoria Beckham, Britney Spears, and Christina Aguilera have all reportedly opted for the elective C-section, thus making the C-section the hip "it" activity of the decade.

The trend has been dubbed "too posh to push," but Posh claims that it was necessary -- and under doctors' orders.

victoria beckham and kate winslet

Celebrity Baby Scoop asks whether these celeb moms were simply trying to avoid abdominal stretching or the pain of natural childbirth.

Despite the trend, there are some celebrity moms who decided to go au naturel. Gisele B√ľndchen, the supermodel, recently chose natural birth and has spoken openly about her empowering birth experience.

There are also those celeb moms who wanted a natural birth, but Mother Nature had other plans. Kate Winslet, the Oscar-winning actress and mother of two, delivered her daughter, Mia, via C-section. In an interview, the actress stated, "'I've never talked about this. I've actually gone to great pains to cover it up. But Mia was an emergency C-section. I just said that I had a natural birth because I was so completely traumatized by the fact that I hadn't given birth. I felt like a complete failure. My whole life, I'd been told I had great childbearing hips. There's this thing amongst women in the world that if you can handle childbirth, you can handle anything. I had never handled childbirth, and I felt like, in some way, that I couldn't join that 'powerful women's club.'"

Check out CelebrityBabyScoop to see the complete list of celebrities who chose natural versus C-section births.

next: You CAN Feed Your Kids Better Food!
Leigh April 17, 2010, 8:53 AM

I will never understand this. I had an emergency C-section with baby # 1. It was HORRIBLE! It was so painful, the recovery was 8 weeks +, I couldn’t drive or even walk very well. I had a VBAC with baby # 2 and it was so much better. I was out and about three days later, feeling great after less than a week! C-sections are a nightmare, why would you choose that?!

Samantha  April 17, 2010, 9:14 AM

i’ve heard that a lot of wealthy moms opt for a c-section because they get a tummy tuck when they sewn up too. i think that any doctor that is okay with giving his patient a major surgery for no good reason other than the fact that they ask for it should have their license pulled.

Carolyn April 17, 2010, 10:46 AM

I think a C-Section for purely cosmetic reasons is incredibly selfish and unsafe. If you are that worried about a little tummy sag, don’t have kids. As far as the pain factor… I pushed out three kids with epidurals… didn’t feel any pain and I was up and walking around the same day.

JustMe April 17, 2010, 5:11 PM

I delivered my daughter after 14 hours of labor with NO pain medication!

Airy April 17, 2010, 10:58 PM

50 hours of labor with my son. 50. I would have been seriously upset if they had given me an emergency C-section after all that time.

momof4 April 18, 2010, 10:57 PM

I had emergency c-section with the first and I was pissed. I got very sick after the surgery and stopped breathing, and my heart stopped. I had c-sec’s the 2nd and 3rd time because I was afraid of the risks of VBAC, I’d rather die than me and the baby. I would love to have a child naturally and my husband and I are waiting a few years to try again. I totally agree with the first comment, C-sec’s are awful, painful, and trust me, my tummy looks the way it felt, no cosmetic work here unfortunately

Melanie January 20, 2011, 9:14 AM

I’m in medical school, and no qualified doctor in their right mind would perform a ‘tummy tuck’ on a patient right after/ or during a c-section.
It’s absolutely ridiculous that some uneducated individuals out there think that such a procedure is even possible.
@ Samantha: Do you realize that the abdominal muscles need to fuse back together (just like with a natural birth), to interfere with that by performing a tummy tuck would be detrimental to the patient. It’s medically impossible to do that. NO OBGYN would ever do that. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU REGURGITATE WHAT YOU AND YOUR UNEDUCATED FRIENDS GOSSIP ABOUT. Or go to school again.