twitter facebook stumble upon rss

No Charges After Baby Burns To Death On Stove Top

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Thedenverchannel: A five-month-old baby burned to death in Iowa after being placed on top of a cooking stove that accidentally switched on. Now, investigators have determined that no charges will be filed in the case.

Baby Burns To Death On Stove Top

The August 2009 fire killed a 5-month-old boy Chase Edward Finch.

The boy was asleep in his car seat when he was placed on top of the electric stove's glass top surface, according to a friend of the boy's mother.

Police said witnesses claimed the stove top was the only place in the home where the baby was out of the reach of a dog in the house.

"The evidence and information from the investigation are consistent with the death of Chase Edward Finch being the result of an unfortunate accident," read the investigation report.

The boy's mother, Bonnie Barton, was running an errand and asked her ex-husband, Jason Barton, to watch the infant. Shortly after that, Chase Finch was placed on the stovetop.

Police said Jason Barton then went outside to chat with his friend Brandon Avila.

"Jason looked up at the window and saw that the blind had fell. We kind thought the dog had did it or something, and then I saw it had completely fell, and I'm like, 'Oh my God,'" said Avila

"Jason bolted toward the door, went inside and when he came back out, the smoke just came rolling out.

"He was freaking out, saying, 'The baby! The baby! The baby! There's fire! The baby's on fire!"'

Newton police said agents from the state fire marshal's office and Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation conducted the investigation.

The recreation of the fire revealed that the rocking car seat could flip a switch, turning a stove top burner on. In a recreation, investigators found the plastic car seat took only five minutes to become completely engulfed in flames.


next: A New Website Reviews YOU!
7 comments so far | Post a comment now
Anonymous April 5, 2010, 5:58 PM

OMG that is so sad, that poor baby, i never heard of this before. i dont even know what to say

C April 5, 2010, 6:44 PM

Seems like foul play to me…how could some one NOT hear a baby screaming to death?

SW April 5, 2010, 7:07 PM

That poor sweet baby.
Why would anyone thing putting a car seat on a stove is safe?!! How about a crib!

That is absolutely horrible.

Lisa April 5, 2010, 7:42 PM

I agree with C’s comment. Also, I think they should have also gotten rid of the dog if they thought it would hurt a young child! Terrible and very sad!!

Katie April 5, 2010, 8:12 PM

Kicking the dog outside wasn’t an option, but putting a car seat on a stove was the best they could think of. Dumb people shouldn’t be allowed to have kids.

Carolyn April 5, 2010, 8:39 PM

First of all, a dog that is a danger to a small child should NEVER be in the house with any child. Second, putting a carseat on a stovetop? STUPID! We all make mistakes but there is something called common sense people. Babies and stoves don’t mix!!!

jules April 6, 2010, 2:11 AM

wow that is some bs. Was there no rooms in the house, where they could of locked up the dog or even place the baby inside the room? Who in their right mind would put a baby on a stove?? This is so damn sad!!


Back to top >>
advertisement