Perfect Casting: Sandra Bullock as Mom

Kate Meyers: A little more than a year before Sandra Bullock hoisted her Academy Award for "The Blind Side," I interviewed her for the cover of InStyle magazine. It was midmorning, and we sat down in a booth in her Austin restaurant, Bess, to go through a slew of questions from fans across the country. Her answers were to be part of a Q&A in the magazine.

sandra bullock

We talked about the awkward outsider feelings of adolescence, about not having perfect looks, about daughters and sisters, about the strength of women and the power of moms. And as I sat listening to the rapid-fire thoughts of this wildly energetic person, the thing that struck me most was this: If ever there was a woman born to be a mom, it was this person sitting across from me. And that's not what I usually feel when I yak with a Hollywood superstar.

She talked about the closet full of dresses she had, and how she couldn't wait for the day her stepdaughter Chandler could pick one for prom. I asked her what her first big splurge was when she made it in the business, and she told me it was a black BMW complete with ribbon that she bought her parents for Christmas. She talked (because I asked) about how impressed she is by the kids at the Warren Easton Senior High School in New Orleans (to which she has donated gobs of money). She talked about how much she loves her sister. She talked about her disabled pooches. She kept trying to feed me and offered me brownies from the kitchen. It's not easy to make a Jewish mother (me) feel like she's being one-upped at mothering, but Sandra Bullock just did it naturally.

As Bullock answered each question, I felt like she was trying to verbally mother the fans doing the asking, even though they weren't there. To one woman who asked what Bullock would tell a girl who feels ugly because she's not blonde and does not have fine features, Bullock responded, "I would say to this person: 'Just wait, because your place will come later on. Those people judging you might be peaking now. You're just growing into the beautiful thing you're supposed to be.'"

Bullock's mom, Helga, died when Bullock was 35, but she often brings her -- and moms in general -- into conversation. She told me that the most important thing she learned from her mom was this: "Be original." "I now get it," she said. "I now get what that means. Whereas when I was a kid, I was like, 'Shut up. I need to be like everyone else.' I get it now, and I wish I had gotten it then, but I wasn't supposed to because I was, as I like to call it, half-baked. You only get to experience what that means and understand it when you're baked. I'm baked. I get it."

When a question came up about what Bullock viewed as her greatest accomplishment, acting did not come up. Here's what did: "Being a good wife, being a good stepmom, being a good current wife to the ex-wife that I like, being a good employer, being a friend," she said. "It's all the mom things in us."

The more I listened to Bullock's answers, the more the mother in my heart kept wanting her to have children of her own. I kept thinking that this person has enough love (and energy) for an army. So I asked if she had considered it. "I haven't had children biologically," she said. "I had shut that [feeling] off; then I met Jesse and it turned on again. I went, 'Oh my God, that's that feeling.'

"But then we both realized [that] to bring someone into this world right at that time, when I was feeling it, was not responsible because we had to take care of some other things that were already on this planet that needed our undivided attention. And I go, 'I hope to God that when we get to a place again where all is safe and calm and happy and healthy, I hope it's not too late.' Because I feel that feeling. But if it is too late, guess what? There are millions of children on this planet that I would be honored to call my child."

What a lucky kid that would be, I thought from the other side of the booth. What a lucky kid that is, I thought today when I read the news of her adoption. And for the new mom -- who was so kind and welcoming to me from across the table -- I wish I could pass on the advice she gave that day to a young woman who had written in and asked how to get through those days when everything seems tough. "My dad has a joke," she said. "He goes, 'Whenever you're near Sandra, there's a disaster, but you'll be fine.' Because I seem to be in places where it happens right in front of me, but if you can weather the storm long enough ... I can say that everything that's happened to me, later on, I've seen a silver lining ... and I go, 'Wow, if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have this.'"

next: Chelsea Clinton to Dad: 'Drop Some Pounds, Pop'
Dwenddrongoke June 7, 2010, 3:28 PM

Well-received to the freepick1.com NFL section. Here you’ll come up with weekly NFL football picks and predictions against the spread from the choicest football handicappers on the network and in place of the most talented guerdon, COMPLIMENTARY! We also enter event previews with investigation along with tips, warning, strategies and other articles that are stable to facilitate your handicapping and serve augment your odds of winning and beating the bookie!

Gabby June 29, 2010, 8:04 PM

WOW I absolutely loved your article. Completely touching and amazing! She is not only my favorite actress, but my role model, and she’s closer to my mom’s age than my own! She totally seems to have such a young, kind, and self-deprecating personality and I know from experience that the way she has dealt with hardships is most certainly the best and healthiest way. I hope she is doing great and she starts feeling like her old self soon. And I know that she has a great head on her shoulders and will always do what’s best for her and her beautiful baby. Thank you so much Sandra!

Bank online with Chase October 18, 2010, 1:42 PM

Strange this post is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it was listed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you enough to put you on the first page of a non related search. :)

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:56 PM

When are you going to post again? You really entertain me!

Lavern Crossett October 25, 2010, 9:05 AM

Just needed to say I seriously admire your work on this blogging site and the good quality articles you make. These type of blog post are usually precisely what keeps me personally going through the day time. I found this post after a very good buddy of my very own recommended it to me. I do some blogging and site-building personally and I am always pleased to see others contributing top quality information to the online community. I am going to absolutely be following and have book-marked your website to my facebook account for others to visit.

Mad Men October 25, 2010, 10:56 AM

Do you people have a myspace fan page? I looked for for one on facebook or twitter but couldn’t find it, I’d really like to become a fan!

Stephan Fialho October 25, 2010, 4:01 PM

I have been just going through your site it’s very well crafted, What i’m searching on the net trying to find out the correct way to begin this weblog thing and your blog happens to be really impressive.

Robbie Pariseau October 27, 2010, 12:39 AM

I’m as stressed as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Donn Cong October 27, 2010, 11:02 AM

Looking at a number your articles or blog posts I actually found this one to be very good. I’ve a blog site as well and would love to repost some snips of your respective content on my personal blog. Should it be okay if I do that so long I reference your webblog or create a one way link to the post I procured the snip from? If not I realize and would never do it without having your agreement . I have book marked the write-up to twitter and also bebo account intended for reference. Anyhow thank you either way!

Garfield Vereen October 27, 2010, 7:28 PM

will help me change the world in my own little way but also that new trend has led to a historic rise in.

Hilton Pochatko October 28, 2010, 11:42 AM

Therefore, don’t fondle the merchandise! Perhaps I disown this neat theory.

Marybeth Patraw October 29, 2010, 3:04 PM

I’m rather educated on their bias.

Farrah Corkins October 30, 2010, 11:53 AM

Certainly you have a sense of humor, do you?

Abram Guardiola October 30, 2010, 6:01 PM

That was the moment to down scale even if has a rich history in America.

Alexander Suski October 31, 2010, 1:21 AM

I’ll certainly try this.

Marylou Waterworth October 31, 2010, 9:19 AM

I realized that I’m accustomed to talking to persons who don’t share an interest.

Charlie Hugh November 2, 2010, 8:19 PM

Regards thanks for share this useful article..this article contain all information that i needed. Than kyou for the fascinating post, I wish you come and play with us, we have many great web hosted games for girls and boys.Very handy article! Thanks for your understanding sharing.. I’m wishing to thank

Darline Traff November 3, 2010, 10:53 AM

Of course, it depends a lot on using this.

Olivia Groman November 9, 2010, 11:43 AM

Let me tell you this, no one ever made it by playing it safe.

Sherri Dalton November 10, 2010, 9:36 AM