Prom 2010: Expensive and Slutty

High school dances just got trampy.

slutty prom dresses

This year, the prom is looking more like a "Rock of Love" casting call than the classic, formal black-tie event it's traditionally supposed to be.

According to the New York Post, the days of looking elegant are over -- at least in New York City. On prom night, NYC teens will bare their breasts and their bellybuttons (yep!). Even retailers are stunned.

"I can't believe that mothers let high-school girls buy these dresses for prom," says an anonymous sales associate at Saks Fifth Avenue, who adds that she's embarrassed to sell some of the dresses to teens.

"For prom this year, girls want short and poofy or long and tightfitting, with everything cut out -- the sides are gone, the back is gone, the front is basically gone," says Nathan Vaknin, manager of Fiesta Ladies Fashion, a dress store on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn.

"Personally, I think it's too much, but we sell whatever puts money in our pocket," he says. "The parents might say no at first, but I don't think anyone can convince these girls to get a dress besides the one they really want."

Really? When our mothers bought prom dresses, they could have "convinced" us to wear potato sacks, since they were the ones wielding the plastic. And speaking of dough, moms are plunking down a lot of it. Despite their skimpy material, some of the most popular frocks this year are priced at $400 a pop.

Ann Shoket, Seventeen Magazine's Editor-in-Chief, has even weighed in on the drama, saying that the trend is overblown and assuring moms that most kids want to look modest "like Miley Cyrus." Uh oh.

Although the New York City Department of Education doesn't enforce a dress code for proms, some principals have taken matters into their own hands, inspecting girls' outfits at the door and altering them with safety pins, or even sending them home to change, if they arrive looking too risqué.

Tell us: Given that many of the girls attending prom are 18 years old, is it OK to allow them to dress sexy?

slutty prom dresses

Slutty Prom Dresses

next: Stuff NOT to Buy in Bulk
Chrystal April 5, 2010, 8:06 AM

JUST got trampy? Really?

Robin April 5, 2010, 9:52 AM

Yeah… just got trampy… even though that is the same photo gallery that Momlogic has trotted out the last two years…

Anonymous April 5, 2010, 3:29 PM

If you click on the bold-type “dresses for prom” supposedly mentioned by a Saks Fifth Avenue employee, you are brought to a picture gallery of dresses made out of food. I doubt that high-schoolers are buying these dresses. Also, they have half the quote from Ann Shoket. She did mention Miley Cyrus, but it was in reference to her peach colored, floor length Oscars gown. In the same sentence, she said that girls are looking to dress like Taylor Swift. *Perhaps MomLogic should quick stirring the pot and using old photos to create half articles.

HeeHee April 5, 2010, 5:57 PM

Just say no to your kid if she wants one. It’s not that hard.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 3:33 AM

Parents become prudes. That’s factual.

When I was 18 my hair was well below my shoulders and I eventually became the founder and publisher of an award-winning monthly magazine for seniors that I sold just after my 50th birthday and was able to fully retire.

Not bad for a long-haired hippie guy.

Leave the kids alone and let them do what they want. They only get to be kids once and this prudish parental behavior only disguises jealousy of youth. Stop it.

Judy Bradley April 6, 2010, 3:33 AM

Parents - moms or whoever is taking the girls shopping or funding the purchase should be saying no. I raised my daughter wearing modest clothing and to this day she dresses nicely, tastefully and modestly. Part of a parent’s responsibility is to teach our children how to dress and behave in a decent manner.

Tina April 6, 2010, 4:12 AM

What happened to the days when kids who were attending the prom still had an edge of innocence?

Katie April 6, 2010, 5:25 AM

I think that most girls wear tasteful gowns, you usually know who the ones are that are going to wear the skimpier dresses - and sometimes it is a price point for some parents - the girls going to my sons prom - thier dresses range from $110 - to $500 - it is what the parents or sometimes the girls themselves can afford - and if no one is there to tell you the dress in inappropriate, how are you to know? I say, don’t be so judgemental, and I do think that this momlogic website is spiteful and mean!!!!

Mindy April 6, 2010, 5:25 AM

“PARENTS ARE PRUDES? AND LET KIDS BE KIDS?” My sister runs a daycare and she just took 7 applications to the high school for teen moms! Seven applications!! What’s wrong with dressing modest? Girls can still dress modest and be beautiful!

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 5:55 AM

Yes, the answer to teen pregnancy is modest dress! And what happened to innocence? I’m not sure where you grew up or when but I was having consensual intercourse at 15 with a wide variety of the girls I went to school with, perhaps as many as 20 or 30 before high school graduation. Children are sexually curious and rightly so. The fact that they have sex with one another and the adults around them seek to control that behavior just shows how out of touch these adults are with reality. Prudes, all of you.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 5:57 AM

Kids who were attending the prom still had an edge of innocence? Well there’s someone that lived a sheltered parental controlled life. Who tied your shoes for you, Mom?

KeCo April 6, 2010, 6:08 AM

Kids have never been truly innocent.

Parents can just say NO to slutty clothes.

Slutty prom dresses have been popular for more than 20+ years, this is NOT new news.

And as for you, Jeff Prager, you are obviously NOT a parent or you wouldn’t be spouting off such nonsense…

curious April 6, 2010, 7:41 AM

I would agree that trampy dresses are not new and clothes alone don’t prevent teen pregnancy. But also agree parents need to be parents and set limits (clothes are just one of those limits).

As for Jeff…epitome of who we want our teens to be … proudly posting of indiscriminate sex…makes me curious as to whether he’s still interested in our teenage girls and trolling pictures of “slutty” dressed teens.

Anonymous April 6, 2010, 7:53 AM

I have a 28 year old well adjusted daughter with 2 grandchildren, both girls, and the reason my daughter didn’t have sex before she was 18 is because we had an open and communicative adult relationship which is what happens when a father has sole custody of his child and raises her as a single parent. I’m also one of only two people here that’s used their real full name. Connect with me on Facebook and you can see pictures of my stunningly gorgeous daughter. As for trolling, I’m a well adjusted American male that responded to this post via the email I received from Momlogic because I’m a member.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 7:54 AM

Curious, I’d call you a moron but that would be too kind.

Patricia April 6, 2010, 8:00 AM

Really??? Jeff Prager..the last time I checked, having sex with 15 year old girls can put you in prison in most states. Just shows how dumb of a person you are to be posting that information. Modesty has long gone out the door for most of these teenagers and it is sad, however all is not lost. I believe they just need guidance and not just from parents, but adults on a whole that they are assoicated with. For those of you who believe in prayer, just pray for our your people; it helps.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 8:07 AM

Yeah, right, prayer will get you, ummm, let’s see, NOTHING. And at 15 having sex with 15 year old girls isn’t against the law and as a 56 year old man admitting the truth that makes up my life is more then most people would be willing to do. I grew up during a period of American history when “peace, love and rock n roll” were the order of the day and we all experimented with both drugs and sex and I’m a better person for it. My achievements in life are public, the awards I’ve received as an adult are noteworthy and I’m not afraid of the past but I certainly am well aware that prayer only helps those praying and even then it’s benefits are highly suspect.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 8:10 AM

I inadvertently posted a comment as “Anonymous” and surely didn’t mean to. The comment above, regarding my 28 year old daughter and my two granddaughters is my comment.

Renae April 6, 2010, 8:44 AM

Teenagers go through pases, and experimenting with clothing is one of them. My mom, who grew up in the 70s, told me she used to wear tube tops and daisy dukes, and she turned out ok. If you don’t want your kid to wear it, tell them no, but most kids at prom just want to wear a strapless long dress (at least in my area), and I don’t see that as “slutty.”

Anonymous April 6, 2010, 9:11 AM

Jeff sounds like the moron. What he did was ok ‘cuz everyone else was doing it. That’s exactly what we want to teach our kids. I’m a single mom too, raising kids with healthy dialogue AND limits AND moral foundation built on faith in God (oh, which involves prayer). By the way, that can happen in households with 2 parents too Jeff. You’re right Jeff, some of us experimented and that’s part of growing up and we learn from our mistakes but there’s also nothing wrong with trying to help our children avoid dangers too.