Prom 2010: Expensive and Slutty

High school dances just got trampy.

slutty prom dresses

This year, the prom is looking more like a "Rock of Love" casting call than the classic, formal black-tie event it's traditionally supposed to be.

According to the New York Post, the days of looking elegant are over -- at least in New York City. On prom night, NYC teens will bare their breasts and their bellybuttons (yep!). Even retailers are stunned.

"I can't believe that mothers let high-school girls buy these dresses for prom," says an anonymous sales associate at Saks Fifth Avenue, who adds that she's embarrassed to sell some of the dresses to teens.

"For prom this year, girls want short and poofy or long and tightfitting, with everything cut out -- the sides are gone, the back is gone, the front is basically gone," says Nathan Vaknin, manager of Fiesta Ladies Fashion, a dress store on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn.

"Personally, I think it's too much, but we sell whatever puts money in our pocket," he says. "The parents might say no at first, but I don't think anyone can convince these girls to get a dress besides the one they really want."

Really? When our mothers bought prom dresses, they could have "convinced" us to wear potato sacks, since they were the ones wielding the plastic. And speaking of dough, moms are plunking down a lot of it. Despite their skimpy material, some of the most popular frocks this year are priced at $400 a pop.

Ann Shoket, Seventeen Magazine's Editor-in-Chief, has even weighed in on the drama, saying that the trend is overblown and assuring moms that most kids want to look modest "like Miley Cyrus." Uh oh.

Although the New York City Department of Education doesn't enforce a dress code for proms, some principals have taken matters into their own hands, inspecting girls' outfits at the door and altering them with safety pins, or even sending them home to change, if they arrive looking too risqué.

Tell us: Given that many of the girls attending prom are 18 years old, is it OK to allow them to dress sexy?

slutty prom dresses

Slutty Prom Dresses

next: Stuff NOT to Buy in Bulk
Cat  April 6, 2010, 9:18 AM

I agree with anonymous…and nothing wrong with trying to keep our daughters away from the type of 15 yo boys like Jeff — only out for a conquest.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 9:40 AM

Cat, framing it for your own personal safety won’t work. Your own sexual disfunction is yours alone. I had sex with my peers, young girls that enjoyed it as much or more then I did and whose desire to experiment and experience life was just as great as my own. And to those of you indoctrinating your children into religion be certain to point out the misogyny, rape, murder and slavery justified in the bible. That would only be fair and honest of course and I’m assuming that you’re at least fair and honest people.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 9:44 AM

And to “Anonymous” raising her children as a single parent, don’t be surprised when you’re children rebel. Impaling them with religion at an early age isn’t much different then chaining them to the wall, unless of course you’re providing equal time for Judaism, Islam and Catholicism. I’m certain you aren’t though. You’re a Christian. Hmmm, how’d I know that? Because you all perceive yourselves as holier then thou when none of you are that at all.

Jenn April 6, 2010, 9:46 AM

I don’t think anyone needs to point out what a “moron” Jeff is. He seems to be doing a mighty fine job all by himself.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 10:15 AM

Jenn, at least I had something to say worth reading which is more then I can say for your intellectually vacant comment.

michelle April 6, 2010, 10:16 AM

moddest is hottest!

Mommy 3 April 6, 2010, 10:33 AM

I am shock but yet not really amazed at how fashion has taken the minds of the girls and twisted it. It is not age appropriate for any girl at the age of 18 to wear those kinds of clothing to a prom. It is up to the parents ( the mothers) to have that firm hand over their daughters to have pride and respect for their bodies. Too many of our young girls today are too worried about making a fashion statement rahter than being themselves but htey don’t know that either if they are not being taught that at home.

Jeff Prager April 6, 2010, 10:57 AM

Mommy 3, is that right? Not able to make that decision at 18? They can vote, drive and even drink in some states but you still dress your 18 year-olds? You’d have fit in well with the Hitler Youth groups back in 1940.

Alexis April 6, 2010, 2:18 PM

I don’t know about this year, but last year at my old high school, they wouldn’t allow any of these dresses to come in the door. A lot of schools now have decent dress codes and they stick to them.

Honestly, no one at my senior prom wore anything like these.

joan April 6, 2010, 3:38 PM

my daughter school has a dress code for prom no low cut back no reveling

joan April 6, 2010, 3:50 PM

My daugter looked at prom books they were $300 and more she did not find any she liked they were two low cut. So we went to one night affair it is a rental of prom dresses in los angeles califonia the cost is unually 170 to rent and they even do alterations to fit you perfect they do prom formals,wedding dresses and they are online rent jewerly,purses

Jenn April 6, 2010, 5:39 PM

Jeff - you’ve posted anything “worth reading”? Apparently, you feel that anyone that doesn’t just let their kids do anything they please, anyone that wants to teach their children, or anyone that is grounded in some faith is a moron, intellectually vacant, holier than thou. And, yet it’s you that seems to be judging everyone else’s comments. As responsible parents, we teach our kids that there are standards that we all have to live by. Standards of dress are not Hitler-like, impaling them with religion or chaining them to the wall. Nor will they prevent teen pregnancy. They do, however, provide an example of the standards that we all live by as adults - in a way that is more real to our teens. As someone who had his own business, I’m assuming you had standards that you expected employees to abide by. Or maybe you considered that to be too Hitler-like?

SDMom22 April 6, 2010, 9:13 PM

Go Jeff!

SDMom22 April 6, 2010, 9:34 PM

OK. Just spent the better part of 20 minutes of my life looking at the 73 pics of “slutty” dresses. Give me a break! Seriously? Like 90% of them are totally fine. I’m very short and petite and would have loved to have short dresses to choose from 20 years ago. My daughter is very tall and thin and will look gorgeous in some of these dresses. How she’s raised will determine if she finds slutty appealing or not. Right now, she won’t even show her belly!

Sarah April 7, 2010, 6:19 AM

I think that, as adults, 18 year olds should be allowed to wear whatever they like, so long as they’re not breaking any laws or rules in the process.

If there are no dress codes at the prom and the dresses are legally acceptable as formal wear, then there shouldn’t be a problem. If principals and others in authority don’t approve of such clothing, then they should set down a dress code in advance and not make up new rules as they go.

Hannah April 7, 2010, 12:53 PM

Whatever happened to a parent JUST SAYING NO. We were never allowed to wear tops that showed ANY breast. If we couldn’t bend over and not get a view then we couldn’t get that item. We also weren’t allowed to wear shorts that didn’t at least come to our finger tips and skirts had to touch the knees. I don’t remember a time when i was mad at either of my parents for this. I was even allowed to get a low cut shirt if i had a shirt that could go under it that would cover me. I never even felt the desire to show off that much skin. In fact to this day i still dress where my breast are covered and at least halfway down my thighs. And ive never worn a mini skirt nor been tempted. If i was id just wear pants or those whatever those legging things are called. Why is it such a bad thing to respect yourself and keep yourself covered. If a guys only going out with me because im showing off my chest or other areas then hes not worth going out with anyway. Modesty is not a burden its respect for yourself.

Jon Williams April 7, 2010, 12:53 PM

Listen, forcing your children to dress a certain way won’t change how they feel nor how they act, and certainly won’t change when or if they get pregnant as has been asserted here many times. I went to high school in a very religious, very “modest” community, and we had one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. Bottom line: the way they dress to prom doesn’t mean anything. If you want your teen to grow and mature before having a bunch of mewling infants, give them something else to do that interests them. their prom dresses won’t turn them into sluts, any more than reading this article has turned me into a paranoid middle-aged mom with too much time on her hands while her kids are at school/soccer/whatever else.

purcellsiris April 7, 2010, 2:22 PM

I agree with just saying NO. Jeff- you are 7 years older than I am and I know there weren’t that many “sleeping around” in my class because there would have been a lot more teen pregnancies. The one that actually happened was between a girl that had just graduated and someone in my junior class and a lot of whispering went around especially after he broke up with her. She pathetically hung around the school all the time. You seem to be caught between remembering the “good old days” and bragging about what you’ve become.

Robyn April 11, 2010, 9:40 AM

Good grief people didn’t you want to look sexy when you where 18? I did and I was as most 18 year olds are. I think if you have made it to senior prom you should be able to wear what you want the price well if it is affordable. If I had the money I would get my daughter any dress she had her heart set on and the nails, hair shoes and make-up how many times do you get to go to the prom this is not The Father knows best generation and anyway most of those prom dresses back then were ugly and a lot of the the dresses that were shown as examples of slutty are really nice. I think at 17/18 kids know what they want to wear. What dress they are wearing is not going to be the deciding factor on if they are going to drink, do drugs or have sex on prom night. My friend wore a conservative dress to prom night back in 1972 went to the prom, picked up the stuff from prom and then left and went out for sex, drugs and rock and roll so you never know. (truely it was my friend I did not go to the prom). Someone said never assume that you and your children live in the same world you do not and never will. I remember when Elvis was going to ruin the kids then the Beatles, the 60s the 70s please we wear, and do what we do in our time and learn from it what we need to in our own time

Paige April 13, 2010, 12:04 AM

Who wrote an essay? ;D Me me me! By the way. Go Jeff! He has a strong arguement and a good attitude. Very open-minded and experienced. A lot of you are getting bent out of shape because people out there would do things you wouldn’t do. If it isn’t hurting others, why fight it? Don’t knock it ‘till you try it. (Unless it’s capital murder or punching babies.)