Prom Night ... on a Wednesday?

Will holding prom on a school night curb underage drinking? N.Y. high-school administrators hope so ... but is their plan killing a high-school tradition?

junior prom

If your teen goes to Pearl River High School in New York, prom night's going to be one heck of an early evening.

That's because the junior and senior proms have been scheduled for school nights. (They'll be held on Wednesday and Sunday nights, respectively.) This is an attempt to curb post-prom partying.

And get this: Students must arrive at school by 7:34 AM sharp the next day. If they're late, they'll be unable to make up academic work or participate in sports that day.

Some moms think that this is a great idea: If it lessens the chances of kids getting into drunk-driving accidents, getting alcohol poisoning or getting preggers, they're all for it.

But others think that this is just going way too far: Prom night held on a Saturday is an American tradition and a rite of passage.

What do you think?

next: Is This 3-Year-Old the Next Shaun White?
Kristin April 14, 2010, 12:24 PM

I never thought I’d see MY high school in the spotlight like this! I graduated in 2007.

They tried pulling that “no walking at graduation” crap with a very good friend of mine because he came down with the flu the Monday after senior prom. He had to come in sick as a dog, throwing up all day. The nurses wouldn’t let him lay down because “he should have thought of that while he was out drinking all weekend.” It just makes me so ANGRY!

Since they’ll save money on their stupid proms maybe they can finally replace the f-ing backdrop so our theatrical productions aren’t such a joke in Rockland. We’re the laughing stock. It’s a complete disgrace!!

As much as I loved living in Pearl River, I would stay out of it when I have kids old enough to go to school so they don’t screw them over too. >:(

Kelly April 14, 2010, 7:45 PM

as a senior now at Pearl River, i find it very unfair and pointless, especially for the seniors. Our prom is the is the Sunday in the last week of classes. And people are still planning on goin to the shore the next weekend. its just punishing us for the past grades stupidity. I mean even if you don’t plan on drinking or goin anywhere after prom no one wants to be up and running around at 7:34 in the morning after not getting home till the absolute earliest at 12:30 in the morning. plus not teacher is goin to bbe giving Seniors test the last week of high. Plus we only have to go to periods 5,6,7,8,9. For me that includes an AP that finishes in may, Study Hall, Lunch, Photography which is like having another study hall, and Math which she is probably just goin to play catch phrases. and all the regular sport sessions have end there just doin states (but i know last year all the senior on the softball team got pick up straight from prom by the bus to take them straight up to states where that had a game the next day) so i doesn’t effect them, or people who dont play sports. soo in all this is just pointless plus my hair salon is closed on sunday so i have to find a get place that is open too go get everything done. its all just pointless i really wish they had more people vote on this. Many parent werent aware that a meeting bout the prom being changed was goin on. They said the meeting was about after prom actives so many parents (like my own) did not attend. And all the senior class was at senior show audiences and came home to angry sudents facebook message. They didnt even sent a full notice or explanation to anyone till weeks and weeks late. besides its the parents fault for letting there kids go down the shore, parent would be very stupid if they didn’t know what goes on down there. and my senior are about to be on there own in college in only a few weeks, some of us will already have a class schedule and gone through orientation. so if we are being held on such a tight lease we will never learn to be responsible decision on out own when were away from our parents. ok soo that was like my third essay i wrote in today in the comments

Kristin April 15, 2010, 12:30 PM

Hang in there Kelly. I know what you mean. *hugs*

Anonymous April 15, 2010, 2:13 PM

Furdon sucks major balls He only cares about his reputation at the high school

Kelly April 17, 2010, 8:53 PM

My prom was more years ago than I would care to admit and in New Orleans, but it was on a Thursday. School tradition. Seniors were finished for the year so we had no classes that Friday. We stayed out all night and showed up to school in our prom clothes. I don’t see how this is going to help.

forex robot April 29, 2010, 9:39 PM

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!