Runaway Mom Left Husband and Toddler to Start a New Life

Tiffany Tehan -- the married mother of a 1-year-old who was reported missing on Saturday -- was found safe last night in Miami Beach, Florida. She shockingly told police that she left with Tre B. Hutcherson to "start a new life."

Tiffany Tehan

After police officers requested she do so, Tehan called her parents and husband to assure them of her safety. "Just to know my little girl is safe is all I needed," Tehan's father, Chuck Tabor, said at a press conference today.

Tehan told police that she plans to return to Ohio to her husband and child, but didn't say when. No charges have been filed against Tehan or Hutcherson thus far.

When we found out that Tiffany Tehan had left voluntarily, it shocked us to the core. When a father leaves his kids for another woman, we don't bat an eye. But when a mother does it, it seems almost unfathomable. Maybe it's a double standard, but we just can't understand how a mother could leave her child under any circumstances.

We turned to psychologist Dr. Michelle Golland for some insight. "First of all, I would be questioning if there were issues of postpartum depression going on that would lead Tiffany to not be connected or bonded with her daughter," she says.

"If she had been unhappy in her marriage before, she might have thought that having a baby was going to make it all better, and then it didn't," Dr. Golland continues. "Because she's a pastor's daughter and very active in her church, it's possible that she felt divorce was not an option for her. Then she had an affair, which would have been even harder for her to reconcile, given her background. She may have thought it was better for her daughter to think she was missing or even dead than for her daughter to discover that her mom cheated and divorced her dad."

Dr. Golland says that Tiffany may have felt this was her only way out. "Tiffany may have wanted to save herself the shame of wanting a divorce -- and she wanted to spare her daughter from that shame, too," she says. "So she just decided to run away and make a clean break. This is how she may have justified it in her mind."

Why do you think Tiffany left her own daughter behind?

next: Proof You Shouldn't Bring Your Preschooler to Work
Gss April 23, 2010, 4:47 AM

Jacqueline, I’m sure your kids will surely thank you one day for kicking their father out and growing up without one.

Tyrone April 23, 2010, 5:13 AM

Tiffany Tehan, a white 31-year-old Ohio mom missing, has turned up in Miami Beach. With the help of the F.B.I. and Miami Beach Police, she was located, along with a white man who had been described as “a person of interest.” Bull S—T! This was another white woman that could have possibly murder her child and blame it on a black man! She was with her lover! MESSAGE TO HUSBAND: She could careless about your child or YOU! Your wife is like many white women around that country. That want that fairytale life! TV and the white media is to blame because it refuse to acknowledge white on white crime or the many white marry women living in abusive relationship! Or in the case of Tiffany UNSATIFY! Even after finding Tiffany the white media refuse to say that she was with her lover! Before the white woman was found the white media describe her as a Mom that church people said would NEVER leave her baby! WRONG! SHE COULD CARELESS ABOUT HER BABY!There were questions initially whether that man, Tre B. Hutcherson, had forcibly taken Tehan, however indications are that the couple left together, calling the disappearance a “personal family matter.” According to the Dayton Daily News, Tiffany Tehan told Miami Beach detectives that she left Ohio voluntarily “with the intent of starting a new life.”
Tehan’s husband doesn’t know Hutcherson, who is seen on several surveillance videos with the woman some news outlets described as a “runaway mom.” Her husband, David Tehan, was recently interviewed on “Good Morning America” and stated that the couple hadn’t been having problems and were excited about plans for the weekend. He has indicated that whatever the case may be, he wants to work on the marriage. The couple have a one-year-old child together.
Talk about STUPID! Hey David Tehan RUN get a divorce and get custody of your child and demand only supervise visit with your ex-wife!

Anonymous April 23, 2010, 10:45 AM

i say leave her alone and let her and her husband sort things out…something or someone made her make that choice to leave or stay…its really none of our business

Mom_of_3 April 23, 2010, 11:06 AM

My husband is a personal friend of Tiffany’s (and we have a few mutual friends, too), so I wish to remain anonymous, but I am so outraged. My husband told me with tears in his eyes on Sunday about her being missing, we believed the worst because this was so out of character for her. We cried and prayed for her for days. But we endured the least. I can see her poor husband’s broken heart in his eyes. I hope he can heal from this.

She has no excuse for this behavior. How can anyone trust her again? I will pray still for her family, for the days to come.

AS for the Post Partum, I have experienced that 3 times. I have wanted to escape my life, I have fantasized about it but I realize that I love my children and I could never leave them. That is love. It bears ALL things. The grass only LOOKS greener on the other side. I understand that it really isn’t. Tiffany should have trusted what the word of God said about adultery, knowing that it always brings a snare. She should have not taken that first step.

ccantu April 24, 2010, 6:10 AM

She was not happy and left her family. Why is this in the news? Why isn’t every man that leaves his wife and kids behind reported missing?
She was not happy and that was it. It is sad for that baby’s sake because mommies are suppose to be nurturing. She obviously is not. Hopefully dad can give that little girl what she is going to need.

JVMFan April 29, 2010, 11:03 AM

Great, and now she is famous for putting everybody through heck. The “Issues” tv show on Headline News channel is saying they will have news regarding the “runaway mom” tonight on the show. Seriously I think she must be crazy. Hope she enjoys the celebrity.

GeraldQ May 14, 2010, 2:14 AM

Hello does an IT guru on here know how to post photographs in my message? Any information gratefully received

cepayMync June 5, 2010, 12:16 PM

Allowed to the freepick1.com NFL section. Here you’ll come up with weekly NFL football picks and predictions against the spread from the choicest football handicappers on the network and by reason of the most talented payment, UNCONSTRAINED! We also enter recreation previews with analysis along with tips, warning, strategies and other articles that are stable to facilitate your handicapping and ease snowball your odds of pleasing and beating the bookie!

steph July 28, 2010, 11:55 AM

well… I’m not sure what to say about this. I do agree that we have no place to judge such an event. As opinions are much like assholes everybody has one. Here is mine. Was it the best way to go about things…probably not. But what we must understand is that we don’t know what went on behind closed doors. Of course no one wants to think like that. But for Tiffany it may have been her own personal hell. I agree with a comment from above that so many people do not know how to go about getting help. That her running off was her own way of getting help. People grow apart and change throughout their life. When it does come down to getting help why is it that everyone needs a pill to correct the sadness in their life. Not everything needs to be handled with prescription. There is such a thing as “being sad”.

infiguift August 18, 2010, 8:45 AM

[url=http://www.smokelesscigarettes.biz]Smokeless Cigarettes[/url] also be sure as tense cigarette and smokeless cigarette does not contain sundry dangerous chemicals that are found. Electronic cigarette smokers like the mental image of smoking. The motivation may be inspired not later than the taste of the nicotine or the mortal play of having an.

Momwhohad2leave September 2, 2010, 11:38 AM

Smith80 is absolutely right. We don’t know the whole story here, and compassion is probably in order. People rarely leave a relationship with a child without a lot of thought. In all cases I know (including my own), they simply couldn’t stay any longer. She clearly was having problems if she couldn’t be upfront about leaving. The child IS safe, and that’s the key thing. Maybe now she’ll get the help she needs—whatever that is. At the end of the day, that child may now have a healthy mom.

Ebba September 2, 2010, 12:34 PM

A friend once told me, “Don’t worry about the splinter in my eye, worry about the stick in yours.”

fejtek March 3, 2011, 11:59 AM

You know people go through things and they get scared, freaked out or whatever, but when you leave your responsibilties behind just own up to it. Don’t try to justify your actions and say it’s all OK. It’s not “OK” for a man or a woman to walk out on their family. If you’re upset about something get help. If your being beat up by your spouse separate from them. Don’t just assume you can run and everything is cool. If you marry someone it’s a commitment for life. If you have kids it’s a commitment for life. If you were “too young” well then grown up. The point is STOP MAKING EXCUSES. And hey teenagers, there is such a thing as right and wrong. There really is.