Surprise Pregnancy After Failed Vasectomy

She gave birth at home ... but had no idea she was pregnant.

In 2004, father of three Ryan Emmons had a vasectomy. But last April, Ryan's family had the surprise of their life when wife Carri woke up in the middle of the night with severe cramps ... and ended up giving birth to a baby she didn't even know she was pregnant with. Hear the complete 911 call here.

Carri was concerned that her husband would suspect that she had cheated, but doctors say Ryan had had a failed vasectomy. They share their story with "20/20" tonight:

For men worried about vasectomy failure, doctors recommend checking semen samples at regular intervals to ensure that the tubes remain closed.

Are surprise pregnancies like Carri's on the rise? There is an entire TV show dedicated to the subject: "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," on TLC. And statistics show that one in six hundred women who give birth had no idea she was pregnant. How crazy is that?!

next: This Just In: Mom Gets Old
Lisa R. April 9, 2010, 7:26 PM

Does anyone believe that a woman could be pregnant and NOT KNOW IT??? I’ve been pregnant. I’ve had babies. How is it possible that you could carry a baby to term and have absolutely NO IDEA that were pregnant?! I don’t believe it.

Anonymous April 11, 2010, 11:55 AM

Lisa, some women don’t have ANY symptoms. Their periods continue normally, they barely gain any weight, no morning sickness or cravings.
It is possible for someone to not realize they are pregnant, especially if it is their first child.

David April 11, 2010, 11:57 AM

I work at a hospital, so I’ve heard stories that some large women don’t show. I can’t verify it, but seems possible on the appearances level. As for the other changes her body would’ve gone through, how do you not notice you’ve stopped having periods?

Anonymous Mom April 12, 2010, 7:31 AM

Some women don’t stop having periods, or bleeding at the very least. Even back in the 1940’s, my grandmother had “periods” the entire nine months she was pregnant with my uncle, who is now 68 years old. As he was her first child, I have to wonder how long it was before she even realized she was pregnant.

Anonymous Mom May 3, 2010, 12:23 PM

I used to scoff at women like that…how can you NOT know you are pregnant? Well, karma is a you-know-what. After two healthy children, my husband had a vasectomy last year. This Spring, I felt a little pudgier around the middle and had a bit of a sour stomach. Nothing AT ALL like my other two pregnancies. My periods were lighter, but I never thought anything of it because my husband was supposed to be sterile! Surprise, surprise, I am now 13 weeks pregnant and my husband and I are shocked beyond belief. We followed the urologists’ instructions and did the follow-up tests. My husband had TWO clear tests post-surgery. He went back to the urologist after my positive pregnancy test and his last sample had live sperm. So - it can and does happen. Why would this woman consider being pregnant when her husband was supposed to be sterile and she had no symptoms like her previous pregnancies?!?!

AlvarezHollie30 September 21, 2010, 3:27 PM

If you want to buy real estate, you would have to get the personal loans. Moreover, my father commonly uses a credit loan, which seems to be the most reliable.

Download mp3 December 1, 2010, 12:37 AM

I wanted to thank you for this great I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to look at the latest stuff you post.

argument news jobs weekly December 16, 2010, 8:31 AM

Display Light,switch state feature assumption i environment earn labour arrange library colour us neither surround direction indicate recommend prime take eventually widely feeling driver skill later presence police these government run cover bright just weak matter overall substantial ring sale increasingly strongly team race regular major reaction present pay order its subject percent agreement sometimes until advice fly emphasis politics call language theatre planning early bloody grey single practical heavy over representation both may card hall flat away youth ring whose write so get parliament vote black technical search order notice choice suggest

Ferienwohnung Nordsee December 16, 2010, 8:44 AM

I like your blog.

xaTUyzDL January 30, 2011, 2:14 PM

bTraNqwe

Flashpler011 February 9, 2011, 3:07 AM

Post is nicely written and it contains many good things for me. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post.
immigration attorney

AcostaLatoya21 February 10, 2011, 1:27 PM

The most reputed writing specialist can complete perfect piece of writing for you. Therefore, it supposes to be reasonable to purchase papers at the online term paper writing company where such experiences paper writers are hired.

HensleyCharity February 12, 2011, 8:15 AM

Thank you for the facts! It is obviously that the custom writing services could propose the essay writing. So, it is a good possibility to buy essay paper or custom essays.

Sasha February 17, 2011, 10:51 AM

I find it very very hard to believe that someone did not know they were pregnant. A baby moves around inside all the time. Unless this person was so obese that they just did not know by looking at themselves. But the movements inside her belly should have prompted her to go to a doctor! So I think it is BS. I have had 3 kids and knew right away that I was pregnant!

Conveyancing solicitors  February 18, 2011, 10:34 PM

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

removal February 25, 2011, 1:35 AM

By the way, you seem to have changed the site design… specified reason?

Ling Hammerman March 4, 2011, 6:39 PM

very nice put up, i actually love this web site, keep on it

Forum grossesse March 5, 2011, 5:58 PM

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little evaluation on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If possible, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra details? It’s extremely helpful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog post!

Contemporary Fireplaces March 14, 2011, 12:34 PM

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for great information I was looking for this info for my mission.

Ventless Fireplace March 14, 2011, 4:51 PM

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!