Proof You Shouldn't Bring Your Preschooler to Work

Today is Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day, when moms and dads get to show their kids how they put food on the table. The whole concept is an enriching idea ... for older kids.

I recently had to bring my just-turned-4-year-old to work with me, because her preschool was closed for the day. Within one hour, she'd trashed the place, had a pee accident and was running around my office naked (I'd failed to pack extra clothes). This was one of the worst days I've EVER had a work.

Think I got anything done that day? Check out the video:

next: Falling Victim to My Eco Guilt on Earth Day
Anonymous April 22, 2010, 2:28 PM

Parent/discipline FAIL

Anonymous April 22, 2010, 5:19 PM

Momlogic=Nologic

Anonymous April 22, 2010, 5:27 PM

So instead of cleaning up the office, finding something for her to wear and getting some work done, you decided to film her naked and put it on the internet?

If I was your boss, your daughter would be getting a lesson is discipline using you as an example.

Yet Another Anon April 22, 2010, 5:41 PM

Completely agree with above statement.

anon April 22, 2010, 5:53 PM

For real. You all wonder why kids today think they are owed something. First the mother should be slapped, then the kid and maybe we’d have some progress in this society.

Anonymous April 22, 2010, 5:53 PM

Wow. Control your children and remember that the workplace is not a daycare.

Barry Lank April 23, 2010, 2:36 AM

Holy cow, people. Calm down. The author takes a minute from her frenzied day to see the absurdity in her situation (shortly before cleaning the office, finding clothes for the kid and not being ABLE to get work done - that’s the whole freakin’ point of the post) and you want to put her in the public stockade. Put your self-righteousness in a drawer somewhere and get a sense of humor. Get a sense of proportion, too, while you’re at it.

Momma2Nico April 23, 2010, 10:39 AM

This mom is FUNNY, people! Plain and simple. She does and says stupid stuff to make us laugh. You guys have no sense of humor…

Anonymous April 23, 2010, 1:14 PM

wow people. its a joke….let me say this again. Silly things happen throughout our day. This mom is smart enough to take joy in it and share it.

Sam Hightower April 23, 2010, 2:39 PM

Looks like CP to me!!

Bel April 23, 2010, 2:55 PM

Humor aside, seriously - discipline your child. A kid that age should be able to be in a room for a few hours without trashing it. I see that this is funny and all, but next year when she goes to kindergarten it won’t be so funny when the teacher is calling you at work about your child’s conduct.

Jim Earl April 23, 2010, 8:11 PM

I agree with Bel. Why isn’t that child in a work camp? Take it from me. Only through rigorous fecal control and urine management (ie storage in jars with detailed times and dates of waste elimination) can the toddlers of today grow into the malleable cannon fodder of tomorrow, and lead this nation of lumpen, puffy-faced Baptists into the cesspool of history!

Anonymous April 23, 2010, 9:48 PM

Completely agree with above statement.

Mom from Chile April 24, 2010, 11:21 AM

When I read this, I found it hilarious!! But when I saw the video, I was SHOCKED! I think this mom should be ashamed to show her daughter naked and out of control. In times like these, we should be extra carefull with what we share on the internet, specially in this kind cases.
When I think of my mother, I know she would have deffinetly given me some of HER clothes to cover me… a jacket may perfectly fit as a dress for a little girl… and anything is better than naked wildness in an office.

Not funny at all.

Anonymous April 24, 2010, 11:22 AM

definitely CP

Mitch Henderson April 24, 2010, 11:22 AM

Jim Earl is right. Only through fecal control and urine management can we expect the children of today to grow into adults striving to make this world an better place.

anon parent April 24, 2010, 11:29 AM

you sure can tell which commenters do not have kids.

tennmom April 28, 2010, 2:41 PM

It is a bit funny but I have to wonder: if the child acts that way in her mother’s workplace, how does she act at home?

Chris Hansen May 3, 2010, 5:00 PM

Why don’t you have a seat over there?

Anonymus May 4, 2010, 1:37 PM

Taking preschoolers to work is “work” in itself. The last time I brought my daughter we took so many trips to the potty that I could barely get through my email.