Teen Texting Beating Victim Improving

Josie Ratley, the 15-year-old girl who was severely beaten allegedly over a text message, is up and moving around in a wheelchair. She is scheduled for more brain surgery today.

In a video shown on "Today" this morning, Ratley is seen out of her coma and out of bed in a wheelchair.

Josie was waiting for a bus last month outside her Florida middle school when 15-year-old Wayne Treacy, allegedly enraged over a text message about his brother who had recently committed suicide, beat Ratley over the head until she fell on the ground, then stomped on her with steel-toed boots.

Ratley was put in a medically induced coma for nearly a month following the attack. She still cannot speak.

next: Family Separated by Volcanic Ash
In His Shoes April 22, 2010, 9:57 AM

She is being played the victim when no one has heard his side of the story. This article and every other article relating to this story is bullsh*t. I want to hear the boys side of the story. I want to know what that text said. When you lose someone you love and someone taunts/attacks you with a text. Who knows what may happen. So the news should stop be bias and give both sides of the story.

MEH April 24, 2010, 10:54 AM

I have to say that I feel sorry for Wayne. Josie is cold and heartless to send incendiary texts to Wayne regarding his relationship and most importantly his brother who committed suicide no less than 5 months prior. She made a huge mistake and in this world there has to be consequences for mental and emotional trauma. I’m not saying that her beating is justified. But, she deserves some type of punishment for what she did to Wayne. If she didn’t text him, this wouldn’t have happened.

LifeIsCruel April 26, 2010, 3:55 AM

I’m sorry,but truly I think she deserved this,if she had any respect for anyone else,(it’s looking pretty obvious she didn’t)if she had however,this never would have happened to her.Drop the pity,look at it this way,SHE ruined her life,she took him with her because of her disrespect for others and ignorance,Blame her,blame her parents for raising such an ignorant and cruel child,but by no means blame him for snapping because she thought she could get away with something I’m sure she’d done many times to others,don’t blame him for doing the only thing he could see fitting through his emotions.It’s a shame this happened yes,I’m a teenage girl myself,and I can honestly tell you that if I or anyone else I knew said such a thing,then they deserved whatever they got,it’s unacceptable what she did,and she’s paying for it when she thought she’d never have to.It looks good on her,the brat.

futafutafuta May 6, 2010, 2:47 PM

If you ask me, that ginger got what she deserved. Ok, she deserved to get beat up, not put in a coma. I’m more mad at the girl than the guy who did it.

hmmm May 25, 2010, 8:20 AM

I like how Paul talks about human depth when he can’t even understand emotional response. This is a lesson. I hope people start getting it. If not, Then this is only the beginning eh? She deserved it, but the consequences of the boy are also going to be brought on him. Which he deserves. Two lives over and all because some stuck up brat had to go and open her mouth about someone’s dead brother.

Kel June 13, 2010, 2:34 AM

If anything can be gained from this, it is that we are meant to treat one another with respect. Yes he should not have done what he did- it is horrible and cruel. At the same token, this girl should not have said anything regarding this young man’s dead brother. Sometimes our words can be more hurtful than anything else, and this is an example of that. From stories and news like this, it really puts into perspective how fragile life is and how important it is to treat others nicely. We really don’t know how much another person might be suffering, and by insulting another human being, we may not just be causing harm to another, but to ourselves as well. I hope that this girl does get better though and learns from this, and I hope this young man becomes a better person from this whole experience.

READ THE FACTS!!! July 18, 2010, 2:50 PM

PEOPLE! EVERYONE ON HERE WHO HAS COMMENTED NEEDS TO READ THIS ARTICLE AGAIN! IT DOESN’T SAY WHAT THAT TEXT MESSAGE SAID ABOUT HIS BROTHER; SO YOU CAN’T SAY SHE WAS MAKING HIM FEEL BAD OR NOT BECAUSE GUESS WHAT!! YOU DON’T KNOW THE FACTS!!! YOU ARE FILLING IN THE BLANKS THAT ARE NOT YOURS TO FILL!!!! YOU DON’T KNOW EVERY DETAIL OTHER THAN SHE IS INJURIED & HE IS GOING TO JAIL; SO DON’T COME UP WITH YOUR OWN STORIES & JOKES! DON’T BE IMMATURE; GROW THE HECK UP; THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER; & SHOULDN’T BE JOKED ABOUT! ALSO BEING ACCUSITORY ABOUT SOMETHING YOU ONLY KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT IS WRONG; UNTIL YOU KNOW THE TRUTH YOU CAN SAY THAT THIS OR THAT HAPPENED BECAUSE; AGAIN; GUESS WHAT!! YOU DON’T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!

READ THE FACTS!!! July 18, 2010, 3:06 PM

**SUPPOSED TO SAY**
…;CAN’T SAY INSTEAD OF CAN SAY

Laney September 13, 2010, 8:09 PM

I wonder what she actually said in the text message. If it was “Why did your brother kill himself?” and that’s it, then he is out of line. If it was “Killing yourself is stupid” or something along those lines, then did she really not expect him to get extremely upset to the point where he MIGHT do something to her? In a way certain comments could be asking for trouble. Not that she deserves a brain injury over it, but still.

I mean, maybe not to the point where he should try to smash her head in, but I want to know what ‘text’ triggered it.

Anonymous September 21, 2010, 4:17 PM

woww this scares me sooo much… i reallyyy hope she’s going to get better and hope that the boy who beat her will stay in jail for a longggg time.