Unschooling: The Ultimate in Lazy Parenting

The popularity of homeschooling has been skyrocketing. As most people know, teaching your kid at home isn't easy; it takes time and patience. Maybe that's why a small faction of renegade parents have turned to "unschooling" their kids. It's easy enough: All you have to do is ... well, nothing actually.

Christine Yablonski and Phil Biegler of Massachusetts are part of the movement. The couple's children -- Shaun, 13, and Kimi, 15 -- do not attend school (and haven't since first grade). They have no textbooks or lessons to get in the way of whatever they want to do -- which is to watch TV, play video games or maybe (but only if they feel like it) read a book. How do they get an education, you might ask? Christine explains it this way: "If they need formal algebra understanding ... they'll find that information," she says. Yeah, right.

Sounds like this kind of hands-off training should be illegal, right? It isn't. According to ABC News, most families who engage in this unorthodox approach register their kids as being homeschooled... then give them no rules at home.

The Beigler kids, for example, don't have bedtimes or chores. And their parents, it seems, don't have any common sense.

What do you think?

next: Marijuana Mamas!
Patti June 23, 2010, 2:52 PM

“too old” and Barb Desmarais: You have NO idea what you’re talking about. Get the FACTS before shooting your mouth off——it just shows how ignorant you truly are!!

Well said, Amber, Frank, & Shay—-I agree with you on every point because I live the life. Lazy parents send their children to the public schools so they don’t have to parent. I can’t even count the number of “public school parents” I’ve heard say, “GOD! I can’t WAIT until school vacation is over so I can have MY life back!!” That’s not just lazy, but selfish and neglectful, as well. Why have kids in the first place?

I started as a traditional “school at home” homeschooler and quickly saw the futility of that decision. As unschoolers, my son and I have so much fun learning together——whether it’s exploring the tidepools at the local beach or searching for (and drawing/labeling) shells, enjoying a picnic (or camping trip) and long walk in the Redwood forest while indentifying the plant life we see, spending the day at one of the many museums/art galleries in our area, curling up on the sofa and reading to each other for hours, attending “Arts Alive!” or one of the numerous local seasonal festivals, or taking a sketchbook to the marsh so we can “draw what we see” (and then go home and research it on the internet)——my son leads a full life and is learning something every minute of every day. Just because he isn’t learning what some “expert” says he should be learning at a particular time doesn’t mean he isn’t learning! It saddens me to know that children in my state don’t get introduced to REAL history until 6th grade——my son has been learning about history, a real passion in our home, since he was a little guy.

As far as “School is their job. Make them do it”——my son’s job is being a kid!!!! A happy kid!!!! A kid who IS NOT punished for being wiggly, or too loud, or inquisitive!!!! A kid who LOVES TO LEARN!!!! When was the last time, “too old” or “Barb”, you met a child who actually loves learning—-not because he has to or to get a grade or because he knows he’ll be reprimanded or held in at recess or sent to the principal’s office if he doesn’t, but one who learns because he finds joy in doing so??!! I’ll answer for you—-NEVER!!!!

I have three sons who were/are homeschooled/unschooled. My oldest chose to serve his country by enlisting in the military——his contract is up in just a few weeks and he’ll be on his way home. He will be attending the Police Academy in the Fall. My middle son is working FULL TIME at a local natural foods store (another passion in our family) while attending college FULL TIME, as well. He is also editing a 500 page novel he wrote and is hoping to find a publisher by the end of the year. My youngest son is happily unschooled and FULL OF LIFE! He is learning and living and growing in the REAL WORLD!!

Anonymous June 24, 2010, 1:40 PM

Home schooling, unschooling, public schooling, I honestly don’t care. It clearly works for some people, and it clearly doesn’t work for others.

What I do care about is this stupid attitude running rampant throughout the comments. Home schooled children are not smarter than public schooled children, and publicly schooled children are not more socially proficient than home schooled children. I know a lot of dumb home schooled kids, and a lot of socially awkward public school kids.

So get off your high horse.

drisrervemexy September 5, 2010, 6:40 AM

i i am altered (despatch) here

like convene singular pepole and tripe

obtain a away time to

Online Banking Saftey October 18, 2010, 1:57 PM

@chels I know what you mean, its hard to find good help these days. People now days just don’t have the work ethic they used to have. I mean consider whoever wrote this post, they must have been working hard to write that good and it took a good bit of their time I am sure. I work with people who couldn’t write like this if they tried, and getting them to try is hard enough as it is.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 2:31 PM

I’m getting a browser error, is anyone else?

Happy Birthday Wishes For Dad December 11, 2010, 12:29 AM

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.

Funny Prank Call Voices December 17, 2010, 10:57 AM

No one who cannot rejoice in the discovery of his own mistakes deserves to be called a scholar.

Silk Soy Milk Nutrition Facts December 17, 2010, 11:59 PM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

atkins diet December 27, 2010, 6:41 AM

I was beeing trying to find the Internet for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

tabel calorii December 27, 2010, 3:49 PM

I have beeing after the Internet for such information and i wanted to say thanks to you for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – 10x

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 6:33 AM

I have beeing after the google for this information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Thanks

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 6:08 PM

Ladies generally are not looking to drop substantial numbers of pounds for the most part. Most of the women and men using phen375 are just trying to lose 5 in order to Twenty-five lbs on average as well as normally it’s abdominal fat. Nearly all are healthy, go to the health club sort folks. They only weren’t able to drop fat deposits on their own stomach or even reach the Plato. Belly fat issues usually commence to take place for women at about the time of or perhaps right after giving birth as well as later within grow older pre and post menopause. It seems like to hit women although presently there hormonal levels tend to be transforming; it’s a normal procedure for existence or is it? I am going to explain to you how the genuine excess fat kept in the particular belly or perhaps belly area is different and also the much more you’ve got from it the particular whores your hormone discrepancy will become.

Breast enlargement without surgery January 9, 2011, 7:10 AM

There are certainly plenty of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you convey up where crucial thing will probably be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, however I’m certain that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each boys and girls really feel the impression of just a moment?s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

HostNine Coupon Code January 10, 2011, 6:02 PM

I saw something about this topic on TV last night. Great post.

Unlock iPhone 3Gs 4.0 January 13, 2011, 1:46 PM

The moment I saw this site was like wow. Thank you for putting your effort in making this tutorial.

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

Jeri Ptomey January 21, 2011, 6:46 AM

Fantastic ideas, kudos to you for having the initiave to think of it

Kenton Primiano January 23, 2011, 7:37 AM

Lovely post, thanks for having the initiave to put it up

June Linenberger January 25, 2011, 4:48 AM

I don’t agree with it, thanks for having the initiave to put your ideas down

seahorses pictures facts February 8, 2011, 2:05 PM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.