twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Kid Fed Oxycodone Jelly Sandwich

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

A 28-year-old mother has been charged after her 3-year-old daughter accidentally gave a jelly sandwich containing a painkiller to another girl.

Denise Manzella allegedly left two pills of Oxycodone on top of the microwave, reports FOX News. As she was making sandwiches for her daughters and her neighbor's girls, she was called away by her 5-year-old daughter. Her 3-year-old then proceeded to spread the jelly on the bread, and placed the two pills on top.

That sandwich ended up being passed to the girls' neighboring friend after Manzella's daughters went out in the backyard. The pills were discovered by the neighbor's grandmother before the girl ingested them, and she called the police.

This is a cautionary tale: NEVER leave pills lying around if you have kids in the house. There are many drugs that can kill kids with a single pill. (Click here for a list of the seven pills that pose life-threatening risks to youngsters, courtesy of ABC News.)

Dr. Carl Baum, a pediatric emergency physician and toxicologist at Yale University, told ABC News, "Kids find pills off the floor in a hotel room all the time. Parents bring them in having no idea what they took." How terrifying!

Parents should recognize the high risk of accidental ingestions and be prepared to act. (Call 911 immediately, or call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.) Parents should also be prepared to take their child to the hospital immediately -- and they should bring the bottle of whatever the child took into the ambulance and to the ER. New guidelines from the American Association of Pediatrics urge against the use of ipecac or any other mechanism to induce vomiting.

But back to that Oxycodone jelly sandwich .... Do you think Denise Manzella should be charged?


next: How Much Credit Does a Mother Deserve?
10 comments so far | Post a comment now
Al April 28, 2010, 4:42 AM

It sounds like a mistake to me. I don’t think any mother would put nasty tasting pills into her daughter’s sandwich. It sounds like the report wanted it to sound like attempted murder, but i think in all honesty it was just a very exaggerated mistake.

somebody's momma April 28, 2010, 5:34 AM

;( That’s why my mom had to find somewhere else to stay- leaving pills around is irresponsible and dangerous.

Laurie April 28, 2010, 10:40 AM

I think it was irresponsible, but a mistake not worth charging her for. The other kid’s grandma should just have talked to her, not reported it, unless there was more going on.

graceym April 28, 2010, 12:56 PM

fed implies indigestion….who is the writer of this article.

pure sensationalism

Abbey April 28, 2010, 1:24 PM

I think it was complete accident. How could she have known her 3 year old was going to place the pills in the sandwich? She definately shouldnt be charged.

Obviously the only one here with common sense... April 30, 2010, 6:49 AM

REGARDLESS OF INTENTION, PILLS SHOULD NOT BE IN THE REACH OF CHILDREN!! She should be in serious trouble, not only was she risking the lives of her own children, her children had friends over. Sure, she probably didn’t mean to do it or never even dreamed that it would happen but there’s the possibility and that’s where she failed. I have no sympathy for her.

Danielle May 2, 2010, 6:57 AM

One of the leading cause of death in children under the age of 6 are Vitamins pills!! So don’t leave your vitamins lying around either!! Your body can’t put the breaks on absorbing synthetic vitamins like it can when you eat something that hasn’t been altered from it’s natural state like an apple.

Anonymous June 9, 2010, 1:40 PM

Post my last post. It was both informative, and accurate. I am a chemist for gods sake I know my stuff.

aethelwine July 20, 2010, 10:19 PM

jaiku features century details

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 3:58 PM

Interesting information. Enjoyable reading. I just have a small point to give about tee shirts.


Back to top >>
advertisement