What Does Your "Mom Hair" Say About You?

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Your ratty ponytail thrown under a baseball cap could be telling the world more than "I'm exhausted."

mom hair

We all know the famous new-mom haircut. When I had a newborn, I got one myself: a short, low-maintenance pixie cut that allowed me to reduce my preening time and increase my diaper-changing time. I even went one step further than a simple cut and sacrificed my blonde locks for my natural brunette base, thus saving money and time in a colorist's chair.

There are other forms of "mom hair." Consider the perma-ponytail, a look that keeps tiny hands from pulling mommy's hair and keeps mommy's hands away from a blow-dryer. Then there's the all-telling baseball cap with the "McDonald's Employee" ponytail sticking out the back. We all know that signals a long night with a screaming teether.

But there is more than convenience and efficiency in our mom hairdos. Hair is our most obvious signal to the world of our internal state of mind. Hair can be linked to our moods and even our sexuality. When I look back at pictures of me in my short, dark crop, I shudder with memories of postpartum depression that went undiagnosed. After baby number two, with a little help from Zoloft, I stayed with long, blonde hair. Coincidence? I think not.

mom hair

Hair is linked to a woman's sexual attractiveness, and lack of attention to hair can also signal that sexual energy is being temporarily diverted to put the baby's needs first. The onset of motherhood can bring a shift in identity as women move from being Barbie dolls to Betty Crockers, all on the way to becoming fully empowered women. (Women without children encounter a similar phenomenon as they age and sexual attractiveness becomes less important than their ability to be creative, productive and nurture the world.)

It's perfectly natural for women to care less about their looks while they do the rigorous work of caring for an infant. I'm less concerned about the new mom with her hair in a frayed knot than I am about the "hot mom" who's wearing her baby as an accessory -- and ignoring the fact that the babe's sunhat has been covering her eyes for 20 minutes. Putting baby first is nature's way.

"Mom hair" could signal depression if it also includes a lack of hygiene and a lack of desire to primp, ever -- even once in a while -- for the man of the house. So look closely in the mirror today. What is your hair is saying about you?

Marsha Kauffman December 29, 2010, 5:37 AM

Awesome work there. signed

dieta anului 2010 January 2, 2011, 8:20 AM

I have been trying to find the Web for this information and just wanted to thank you for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

blinds direct January 23, 2011, 6:15 PM

Have to let you know, I certainly had big fun at this website. i find it to be refreshing and very informative. wish there were other websites like it. Anyway, I felt it was about time I let you know, I am putting your website on my link roll. Thanks again for sharing this up. I certainly loved every bit of it.

Shawna Stoskopf February 11, 2011, 3:43 AM

As a Newbie, I am permanently exploring online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:12 AM

I’m looking information about this from last friday, thanks!

long sleeve wedding dress March 8, 2011, 4:25 AM

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth—anonymously and posthumously.

chinese wholesale nhl jersey facts March 8, 2011, 1:26 PM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

do follow links March 29, 2011, 1:39 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Jim I. Sinclair March 29, 2011, 8:00 PM

Effective

Cecil O. Rouse March 31, 2011, 3:09 AM

Billie U. Fuller April 5, 2011, 2:31 PM

Hi, - uncovered this web page by chance when drifting round the web this evening, and pleased that I did! I like the design and tones, but I should mention that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m making use of OmniWeb45 web browser for mac, and the menu bit doesn’t lineup well. i’m fairly certain applied the equivalent layout on a company’s web site, but the menu seems O.k on mine. I suspect the problem is at this end and maybe it’s the perfect time to update!

ekspertyzy grafologiczne April 9, 2011, 9:23 AM

Thank you a lot for your great article. I have been searching for such post for a very long time. Not everything is completely easy to understand to me, even though it is definitely interesting and worth reading.

Marjorie May 5, 2011, 8:06 AM

I have wriiten to the editor regarding the post of Bababooooney on April 30. This post should be removed. And Bababooooney should be very ashamed of herself for posting those words. Grow up, you have no right to spew any hurtful words into a world that is already hurting enough! Moms need to stick together and help each other out. Please don’t don’t ever put anyone down until you’ve walked a mile in those shoes, quite often preconceived notions are VERY wrong!

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 4:15 PM

Dude, you should be a writer. Your article is really interesting. You should do it for a living

ami June 4, 2011, 8:46 AM

I so disagree. Even before kids I just didn’t want to deal with it every day. It’s boring to blow dry, iron, etc. I just threw it in a ponytail 360 days a year (before kids!). Now with kids I have the time and desire to actually spend the hour on my hair once or twice a year. It would be nice to have shorter ‘mom’ hair that I can actually style every day instead of just doing a ponytail.