Would You Do a Disney Honeymoon?

I love "The Happiest Place on Earth." I am just trying not to share my bed with Mickey and Minnie ....

disney cruise line

Ellen S.: My husband, two kids and I just got back from a Disney-fied week; we did a four-day Disney cruise and three days at the Florida theme parks. We were surrounded by blissed-out kids, Mickey and Minnie and the gang, and ... honeymooners. Yep, honeymooners. They were on our cruise. They were at the parks.

They kind of stumped me.

Listen, I get that whole kid-at-heart-thing. A Disney theme park or cruise is definitely one of the most fun places on the planet. The cruise ship we were on -- "The Wonder" -- is beautiful and had adults-only activities, adults-only areas and an adults-only romantic restaurant, "Palo." And the Disney crew, on land or at sea, couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating. The service is top-notch.

But the reality is that you are surrounded by kids, kids, kids. Wouldn't you want a more intimate setting for your honeymoon? Wouldn't you prefer to not see Pluto or Cinderella when you're strolling around hand-in-hand? Mightn't you want to enjoy an evening show that didn't feature "Toy Story"? Also, it's not as if a Disney cruise is the cheapest trip around -- you could pick something more adult-licious for the same price (if not a lot less).

Go on, call me a killjoy ... or agree with me!

next: Dr. Seuss Meets the iPad
Jennifer A. April 7, 2010, 6:19 AM

My honeymoon was at WDW in 2001. We wanted to do something fun and I had never been there. Minus a tropical storm, flight issues both ways and 9/11 occuring the week we were there, we made the best of it and have been back several times with our kids.

Kristin April 7, 2010, 7:18 AM

My senior trip was to Disney. The whole class flies down to Florida in the fall. I had the time of my life while I was there!…but I wouldn’t want to honeymoon there. We’re planning to head off to somewhere warm and romantic…when we can afford it, that is. lol

Taylor April 7, 2010, 7:31 AM

Disney is awesome.. Some people aren’t into beaches or romantic evenings in cozy settings. Every man to his own.. PLUS you get free mickey and minney wedding hats with ears :)

michelle April 7, 2010, 8:49 AM

I agree — the Disney honeymoon thing is both creepy and cheesy at the same time. I hated Disney World as a kid and I still hated it when forced to go back recently with my kids and extended family. For the same price (a small fortune) you could go somewhere that’s actually good, like Paris. The real one, not the fricking Epcot one.

Robin April 7, 2010, 9:56 AM

My husband and I fell in love at WDW so it was a no brainer that we went back for our honeymoon. We had a great time and it was a wonderful way to let off some steam after my husband year tour in Iraq, the crazy fast wedding planning (had to reschedule it and get it done before he could get shipped out and miss it again!) and before we had to buckle back down to life on post. We got a discount through a friend that works there and loved every minute of our trip. Now w’re more interested in a few days at the beach, but at the time nothing could have been better =)

Crasher April 7, 2010, 11:30 AM

My partner and I are having our honeymoon at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. We’re not going to the parks. We live in Orlando and have been there plenty of times, but the resorts are fantastic, the food is great, and since we don’t have to fly there, it’s actually really cheap for us to just spend the weekend at the resort.

Anonymous April 7, 2010, 6:06 PM

screw

Lauren April 7, 2010, 8:28 PM

My husband and I honeymooned half at Disney World and half at Disney’s Vero Beach resort. My parents are vacation club members and gave it as a gift and it was PERFECT! We didn’t spend all day at the parks, but there are tons of amazing restaurants and spa things to do and like someone said, not everyone wants to spend all day at a beach sometimes. We had a great time and can remember it whenever we go with our kids. I would definitely recommend it.

ella April 18, 2010, 10:30 AM

oh how I love to spend my honeymoon ala Disney experience..such a unique way of celebrating wedlock dream. Just like what I saw from luxury honeymoon

skippy April 27, 2010, 2:00 PM

No, I’d never do a Disney honeymoon! It’s cheesy, and a bit odd for a romantic getaway. Then again, I’m not a big Disney fan. I’d only ever go to Disneyland if I had children.

melkes August 13, 2010, 3:01 PM

I think it’s dependent on the couple. My fiance proposed in WDW during the Wishes Fireworks, so it was a no brainer that we would go back there. We’re not the couple that’s into the all inclusive lay by the beach kind of thing. It’s not that those types of bad, they’re just for us. We enjoy Disney. We enjoy all the different themes and attractions. WE have a good time there, and that’s really all that matters and should matter to the couple that’s honeymooning. It’s merely a matter of preference and style, not an issue of good or bad. :-)

LorrieSlater24 September 23, 2010, 4:56 AM

That’s perfect that we can receive the business loans moreover, that opens up new opportunities.

TM March 1, 2011, 9:36 AM

I love Disney and will be honeymooning at WDW in August. Now I get the reasoning behind this article, but at the same time it’s a matter of preference. My fiance and I are from London and have done much of Europe and we now live on a beach in the Caribbean, so we figured we’d rather have some fun together than go lie on a different beach that might not even be as nice as the one at home!

Hallanole March 8, 2011, 8:26 AM

I’m planning my honeymoon at Disney World. I have been all over for vacations my whole life. My fiance is a different story. I was originally planning and dragging him on a plane to England, only the summer Olympics are the same week. So we turned to Disney as our second plan. He’s never been there, we are going to act like carefree kids for a week, and limited panic attack for him on the plane there. For us it’s easier. I’ve been to the Carribean over 10 times, Mexico, and most of Eastern US. He hates flying and he hates beaches. I find it cute that we are going to go around Epcot and get goofy pictures “around the world”. But that is just us and wanting to act immature before going back to being bosses in everyday life.

David Dixon March 14, 2011, 11:05 PM

Actually, we give lots of private guided tours of Walt Disney World to newlyweds at Magical Tours - www.mymagicaltours.com . Lots of couples find the magic of Disney to be very romantic. It gives them a chance to get away to ‘fantasy’ before the ‘reality’ of life kicks in once the honeymoon has ended.

I like this site given and it has given me some sort of desire to have success for some reason, so thanks.

different type of herpes May 2, 2011, 2:09 PM

Would you be enthusiastic about exchanging links?