My Son Rocked Out With Chris Cornell!

Bruce Sallan: On May 3, 2010, my son Arnie's dreams came true! He went to see his idol, rocker Chris Cornell, at a benefit acoustic concert at The Roxy in Hollywood, Calif. My son and his girlfriend, Logan, pushed their way to the front of the crowd. Cornell was playing acoustic guitar with only a cello as backup.

Arnie Sallan, Chris Cornell

During a pause between songs, Arnie shouts out, "Hey, Chris, I have a question for you" -- to which Chris responds, "Yes, what is it?" Arnie then shouts, "It's been my lifelong dream to jam on one song with you!" Chris responded, "Well, what do you play, and do you have a song in mind?" Arnie replies, "I've been playing guitar for six years, and I want to play 'Fell on Black Days'" -- at which point the crowd starts shouting to Chris, "Let him, let him!"

Chris smiles, laughs and says, "Why not? You could probably do it just as good as me." Arnie starts toward the stage, but Chris says, "Wait until we get to the song." Arnie is convinced it's not going to happen. When it came time for Arnie's song, however, Cornell did ask Arnie to come on stage. By now, the crowd is getting into it, and Logan is screaming her head off and trying to take pictures.

Arnie climbs on stage, and Chris introduces him and then gives him his own acoustic guitar. He asks his roadie for an electric guitar. Arnie sits down, waits for Chris to begin, then follows perfectly along with him. The crowd even thinks -- as Logan related afterward -- that this was all planned, because Arnie and Chris were perfectly in sync, especially during the solo, wherein they played identically. (See for yourself in the video below.)

Afterward, Chris hugged Arnie and said, "You were really on top of it. Good job!" -- and gave Arnie his guitar pick. Later, another person gave Arnie a set list. Dreams can come true!

Another fan, Tenacious Libbs (thank you, T.L.!), videoed their whole performance, and here it is on YouTube:

It's Logan you hear screaming, "I love you, Arnie Sallan!"

next: Mom Cries Over Kid's Response to Race Test
Carol May 19, 2010, 8:52 PM

That video and the story is almost unreal. It looks so rehearsed. What a moment for your son! Have the record companies paid attention to him - I checked out his other YouTube videos and he’s so multi-talented! Nice to read a “happy” story about a teen, for a change!

Jeff May 19, 2010, 9:08 PM

Wow, Bruce you gotta be one proud dad. When will we see him on Idol?

Wendi May 19, 2010, 10:46 PM

That is awsome! So nice to see that teens are going after their dreams. You did a good job raising him :)

chris May 20, 2010, 5:14 AM

You must be so proud of your son! What an amazing experience for your son, one that he will NEVER forget.

Kathi Browne May 20, 2010, 5:36 AM

That is soooo cool! He looks like he belongs there. Get rid of the glasses and they could have been brothers. lol Tell him congrats (and I enjoyed hearing this of music sooo much).

Naomi June 21, 2010, 7:44 AM

That was so great! What an awesome experience for a fan and even better to be acknowledged as a fellow musician, too. Chris Cornell always seemed like a nice guy.

Anonymous February 4, 2011, 7:20 AM

It is a very good and informative article indeed. It is great to have such a nice articles.It really helps me to enhance my knowledge. I hope to see more articles in future.
interview skills course

gunfoor123 February 5, 2011, 7:31 AM

I was looking for some interesting post on Beta nature of business and this is what I found here, that’s simply great. I am inspired by the writing style of author. I will be visiting in future to extend my knowledge. Thanks
birthday messages

hearing loss treatment February 27, 2011, 2:18 AM

Lovely website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also

Link building services  March 14, 2011, 12:03 AM

I am happy to see this post. It is really nice and useful for me. From many days i am searching for this type of article. This is a good post and is awesome.

Link building services