'Real Housewife' Alex McCord: Occasional Glass of Wine During Pregnancy No Biggie

momlogic's Vivian:

alex mccord

Believe it or not, "Real Housewife of New York City" Alex McCord is, in many ways, a typical urban mom from around my way -- an involved parent in a hectic place who struggles to balance work and family. In the new book "Little Kids, Big City: Tales from a Real House in New York City" (which she coauthored with her husband, Simon van Kempen), McCord casually mentioned indulging in a glass of wine or two while pregnant -- and rapidly came under fire for it. She set the record straight with me over a lovely, local lunch last week.

momlogic: How long did it take you and Simon to write your book?

Alex McCord: Actually, I started writing the book in 2004, in between babies. We came from the perspective that we were going to be DINKS [double income, no kids] just running around the world, doing whatever we wanted to do. We weren't anti-kids at all -- just anti-kids for us. Over the first three years we were married, we slowly but surely changed our minds. So we decided to jump on it before Simon turned 40. I started obsessively reading everything I could get my hands on -- the doctor books, the psychiatry books, all of it. The things that I responded to the most were stories from the trenches written by other moms and dads. I read a mommy blog and thought that I wanted to start writing our stories for our kids to have. After Johan was born and the show began, we spoke with a literary agent who asked what we'd write about if we wrote a book, and I mentioned the stories. So we decided to make it a he said/she said, because that's what people responded to on the show.

ml: Reading your book, it seems like you guys have a pretty chill approach to parenting.

AM: You choose what you want to be rabid and Type A about. Everyone in N.Y.C. is hard-charging to some extent. I'm very much that way about business, but not how I raise my children. If I tried to control every little last thing they did, I'm taking their power away. They'd never learn how to do for themselves. My mom says, "Never lose a chance to break an arm" -- not that you want them to!

ml: But how else will they learn not to climb a fence? I've done it! If you always rescue your kid, they're never going to figure it out.

AM: Bingo!

ml: What's it like raising kids on a reality show?

AM: Because we've had this crazy progression on a reality show, a lot of people didn't like us [in] season one. They thought we were weird, wacky and crazy. A part of it was because you have no control over the editing process. There was an episode that season where they wanted us to bring the kids to a dinner; we didn't want to, but we agreed. It went two hours past the time it was going to run, and we kept saying we needed to go. They kept asking us to stay five more minutes, and the kids got crazier and crazier. In reality, they got a time-out, but on the show you didn't see the time-out. If you turned it around the other way, they could've shown him doing something normal, and then we're yanking him for a time-out and I'm an abusive mother. They have to make it entertaining. So you just do the best you can. There are things on the show and in our book that maybe people might want to talk about, but we've nothing to hide.

ml: What's up with the whole drinking-while-pregnant controversy? Hey, I had a glass of wine or two during the latter part of my pregnancies ....

AM: The thing that annoyed me was that they took out one or two sentences from a paragraph from our book, but it's not really the whole story. I certainly wasn't boozing it up! When I was pregnant, I did research on everything that people say is even wrong or questionable -- mayonnaise, hair dye, coffee, tuna, soft cheeses ... the list goes on and on. I listened to my body, and in the first trimester with both kids, I lost my taste for booze, coffee ... pretty much everything. All I wanted was cheese and spinach. Eventually, I did occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner, but not every day! I couldn't get through an entire glass, even if I wanted to. But I'd literally just have it and sniff it. A glass of Burgundy goes well with a really nice steak!

I spoke to my midwife and OBs about it, and they all said it was fine! So I made the executive decision that I wanted to have a taste of wine here or there. It's not the same as going out and smoking or smoking crack! After that article came out, I got tons of e-mails from pediatricians and OBs saying that everything in moderation is key, and that they'd never condemn me for drinking an occasional glass of wine. They'd even say they had one while pregnant, too! And these are doctors! I suppose what it was is that the article got reprinted everywhere online. And if you look, most of the comments say everything in moderation is OK ....

ml: You were supported?

AM: Yes, I was supported. I guess it just got a lot of play.

ml: What's a day in your life like?

AM: I get up at seven with the boys and make them breakfast. I do drop-off in the morning, and then I work from home as much as I can. I'm also stoking the book and doing book signings throughout the summer. We have a caregiver who works with us after school Mondays through Thursdays, but Fridays I really try to stay close to home. I volunteer at my son's school lunch, do pick-up and really just try to stay on top of all the work stuff. Simon and I really try to switch off when the boys come home.

ml: There are so many evening events on the show! How do you balance it all?

AM: That's one of the biggest misconceptions that people have had -- that we go out all the time. We try not to go out two nights in a row, but if we have to, we'll try and get home in time to put the boys to bed. If we're shooting or it's a crazy time, we try and structure it so we're out one night and knock out four or five things in that night, or we'll come home, put the kids to bed, then go out again. With the book tour, we're trying to structure it so that we're never away from the boys more than two days -- and so they never miss more than two days of school. But because we're both authors, we both have to be at the signings.

ml: Describe each New York City "Housewife" in one word.

AM: Sonia is the life of the party. LuAnn is ... well ... when she's LuLu, she's great; when she's the Countess, not so much. Jill is needy. Bethanny is driven. Ramona is unfettered. Kelly is contradictory.

ml: Well, congrats on the show and the book!

AM: We're so thrilled about the book. I hope people will consider it for a Mother's Day gift. It's not preachy or how-to. It's not designed to make moms and dads feel bad. It's life, it's ridiculous, it's crazy but it's so rewarding. And that's what I hope that moms take from it.

To learn more about Alex and Simon, visit their website: mccordvankempen.com!

next: The U.S. Isn't Such a Rosy Place To Be a Mom
HuberJacquelyn27 July 13, 2010, 6:07 PM

I received my first mortgage loans when I was very young and it supported me very much. But, I need the short term loan also.

sun safety tips November 12, 2010, 8:53 AM

I have been here before but this is just about the best posts yet. continue the good work!

Damian Kielar November 12, 2010, 10:37 AM

Any time I read about this, it usually is the same. At last someone has provided a different and meaningful view.

Silkn Sensepil November 12, 2010, 12:52 PM

I switched techs considering that after a few years with laser light, I thought the results were not worthwhile. Next I purchased the home laser hair. They guarantee that after 2 years in the event that hair grows back, the treatments are free of charge. They have got both fractional laser and also Intense pulsed light, but I am planning to stick with lazer now being Ipl did not appear to decrease the amount of hair returning.

Travis Rechkemmer November 12, 2010, 3:19 PM

Way back I used sugaring to remove my unwanted hair unfortunetly it was so painful that I wanted to quit. I gave electrolysis a go and it turned out so-so but was really tedious. So I spent my vacation looking at the sensepil laser hair remover. I actually used the silk’n sensepil and was suprisingly happy with the results. It gave me fast hair removal at an awesome price tag. I certainly recommend it to someone in place of stringing.

electronic cigarette review November 16, 2010, 2:03 PM

I kicked the habit 3 days ago and its starting to affect me today. My sweetheart tells me I can’t handle it but I am so sure of this I won’t fail. Today I started having painful sensations inside my belly and I absolutely want a smoke. I can’t give into the craving because I am stopping smoking for our young ones. I am grateful to have the e-cigarettes. It has been beneficial to me.

Erasmo Posner November 17, 2010, 4:15 PM

While trying to give up smoking, I came across the electric cigarette. The e cigs uses a nicotine material that holds simply nicotine. Virtually no toxic substances at all. They have actually made all the difference. Getting rid of inhaling poisons feels outstanding to me!

compare e-cigs November 22, 2010, 12:49 PM

Just about all I can think about is smokes. I know i don’t like to take a drag and if perhaps somebody offered me a smoke right now, I will decline. I feel I’m in a fairly depressing mood and have had trouble staying asleep nevertheless I’m sure I can be healthy. The e-cigarettes may also be helpful in the long run.

Music Downloads November 27, 2010, 5:39 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks - you cleared up some things for me!

My Little Pony December 4, 2010, 8:40 PM

This is my first time I have visited your site. I found a lot of interesting information in your blog. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one! keep up the great work.

Ardella Atiles December 9, 2010, 8:59 PM

I’d come to settle with you one this subject. Which is not something I usually do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

dieting green teas December 11, 2010, 9:48 PM

I comply or in it commenters fantastic column I may add

Livecam Sex December 16, 2010, 4:01 PM

Mir gefällt dieser Artikel richtig gut und ich habe viel gelernt. Danke dafür.

premature ejaculation January 30, 2011, 8:40 AM

Thanks for this great and informative article. Basically i knew some of the things you told but some are very very

korokotikoala February 5, 2011, 9:37 PM

Thanks dude. This is fun knowing

Jessica35 February 6, 2011, 2:52 PM

Archos 10 Internet Tablet

Flashpler011 February 7, 2011, 6:14 PM

Very interesting article. Content has been written in very nice manner. I enjoy reading this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing good knowledge.
eyelash extensions

Tomas Sanks February 10, 2011, 12:39 AM

Needed to post you one little remark to say thanks a lot once again considering the pleasant techniques you have provided in this article. It has been certainly open-handed of you to provide freely what a lot of people would have marketed for an e book to help make some dough for their own end, primarily considering the fact that you could possibly have done it if you considered necessary. The suggestions likewise acted like the great way to be certain that some people have similar dreams just like my personal own to learn whole lot more with regard to this issue. I’m sure there are many more fun periods ahead for individuals that look into your site.

cheap conveyancing  February 14, 2011, 11:17 PM

17. Thanks for the good writeup. It in fact was once a enjoyment account it. Look complex to more brought agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

vigrx plus February 15, 2011, 7:45 AM

I like the dear information you be offering in your articles. I can bookmark your weblog and have my children check up here generally. I am reasonably sure they’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here than any one else!