'American Idol' Finale: A Close Race

momlogic's Vivian: Well folks, we have us a new American Idol! But before the champ was crowned and Simon bid us his emotional (really!) adieu, we bore witness to a series of surreal resurrections from today (Bret Michaels! Paula Abdul!) and over 30 years ago (Chicago, Hall & Oates and Michael McDonald). Read on!

Lee DeWyze

First, the top 12 contestants returned from their day jobs to give us a taste of the upcoming "American Idol" tour. Contestants like Didi and Siobhan visibly relished each opportunity to reduce the chosen covers to show-tune status, but watching someone innately cool like Casey James do a clumsy prance around the stage is always completely ridiculous.

Orianthi and Alice Cooper joined them to perform Cooper's rebel anthem, "School's Out" -- a completely and utterly surreal moment on television. Alice Cooper goes Broadway?! Mind you, I'm a crone, so songs like this -- and many others on the set list -- hurled me back in time to when the tunes first hit my ears in the backseat of my dad's Galaxie 500. (What's that? You say you don't recognize that make of car ... or know who Alice Cooper is? Neither will "Idol's" target demographic.)

Throughout the night, more '70s pop-rock dinosaurs were sprung, a halo of smoke surrounding them as they emerged from their cryogenic crypts. But I must say -- many of these artists sounded pretty fricking incredible. Siobhan and Aaron had a blast harmonizing with The Bee Gee: Barry Gibb has painstakingly maintained his blowout and nasal vibrato all these years. In a particularly enjoyable moment, Big Daddy Michael Lynche was joined by former Doobie Brother Michael McDonald. Another highlight: Lee and Crystal were joined by Joe Cocker to sing "With a Little Help from My Friends" -- and MamaSox just WAILED. Also deep on the '70s tip: Lee DeWyze performing a great set with Chicago, and the male Idol top 10 contestants doing a medley with Hall & Oates.

Some powerhouse lady performers were in the house also: Christina Aguilera, Alanis Morissette (who performed a lovely duet with MamaSox -- who went toe-to-toe with her!), Janet Jackson and Carrie Underwood (who actually blew my mind with her new tune, "Undo It"). Audition fave General Larry Platt did an all-out production of "Pants on the Ground," complete with backup dancers and former "Idol" audition fave William Hung.

Of course there was a Simon Cowell retrospective, as it was his last night on the show. Dane Cook serenaded Simon with a song containing all his insults. Ricky Gervais hurled insults at Simon via video. Most of the former Idols -- even Kelly Clarkson, who had previously refused to come back to the show -- walked out and sang a tribute tune en masse. Providing the cake's cherry was none other than Paula Abdul, who showered Simon with goodbye-love via video and (surprise!) live on stage. She actually looked sober and amazing.

One big fat bright spot of the evening occurred during Casey James' solo, when Bret Michaels joined him to perform "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." Considering that this guy had walked into scenery and broken his nose, burst his appendix and suffered a nearly fatal brain hemorrhage just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed a miracle in seeing him upright -- let alone sounding fresh as a daisy.

Finally, it was time to dim the lights. Lee looked like he was going to puke. But guess what? He won! He thanked everyone, then said, "Crystal, I love you" -- and gave her a big hug before launching into his hit-to-be: a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day." The poor guy lost it mid-performance.

Welcome to Idol-dom, Lee! Our girl MamaSox handled the whole thing with grace and panache. She has said that she wanted to be on the show because her kid "deserves a better life than I ever had." Even though she didn't win, she'll be able to do that -- and then some.

next: Diaper Ad Gets Dirty
bev May 28, 2010, 8:21 AM

ONE OF THE BIGGEST JOKES IN HISTORY!!!! THE VOTING HAS GOT TO CHANGE. HOW EMBARRASSING FOR LEE. I’M SORRY, THE GUY CAN’T SING AND SIMON SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF HIMSLF.CRYSTAL BOWERSOX WILL GO ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP. HER MUSIC WILL SOAR. GOD BLESS HER AND HER SON.

jason June 1, 2010, 12:44 PM

actually i disagree fully…and granted i like Crystal over lee, but that does not mean Lee didn’t deserved to win…and honestly, no she won’t go to the top, she doesn’t have the style that most people listen to that are in the top…i however like her style, but then again i’m over 30 and grew up listening to that style…and Lee does sing a style that is popular at the moment with those under 25, which is where most album sales come from i would guess, so no, Simon was right …again… and the right person won no matter what me, you or any other “mother” thinks…

erri August 19, 2010, 1:48 AM

Jason,i totally agree with you.I was a
Crystal fan from the beginning and i loved her funky-hippy charm,but she was
starting to sound the same the last few weeks of idol.While my choice wouldnt have been Lee(had the hots for Casey,lol)I do think he has an awesome
rock voice and while i was very peeved that he had to do a remake of a U2 song(my fave band)he would do better in a band than a solo star.

And while im at it,hehe…ADAM was robbed last year,omg hes amazing and hes
left Allen behind in a HUGE cloud of dust.

Fashion Design October 12, 2010, 4:35 PM

Great article. I will certainly share this article with my colleagues. Thanks for the article.

Merchant Services December 23, 2010, 9:55 PM

genuinely definitely essentially it

Victoria Reech January 24, 2011, 8:45 AM

Essentially great material. Im happy I found this put up. Thank you for sharing

Enfants Nike Air Max BW March 24, 2011, 8:27 PM

Hi, Inordinate transmit, thanks you, i like your thesis also!

Jordan Staal Jersey March 25, 2011, 7:16 PM

Easy to need methods that definitely affair, appreciation again!

Femme Nike Air Max 90 March 26, 2011, 12:42 PM

There are some interesting points in mores therein article but I don’t know if I convoy all of them ticker to heart .

Martha O. Porter March 31, 2011, 4:01 AM

Interesting

Tony Esposito Jerseys March 31, 2011, 11:00 AM

I relish in reading this article. I scarcity to learn more on this topic.. Hold responsible you for writing this smashing info.. Anyway, I am gonna subscribe to your rss and I craving you write spectacular articles again soon. Absolutely useful info.

Wholesale Chanel Wallets April 1, 2011, 10:09 AM

There is some validity but I determination conclude in force sentiment until I look into it further. Admissible article , thanks and we appetite more! Added to FeedBurner also.

Adam Burish Jersey April 1, 2011, 10:17 PM

Hellishly helpful, I leave definately be returning because i begin my subsequent task.

erotik April 3, 2011, 3:17 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Air Jordan 7 April 5, 2011, 10:36 AM

I like to visit your instal a span times a week for the treatment of different thoughts. I was wondering if you possess any other topics you correspond with about?

Ray H. Phelps April 5, 2011, 2:31 PM

Hello, - found your current internet site inadvertently while searching across the internet this morning, and happy that I did! I do like the style and design and colours, but I really should mention that I’m having difficulties when it loads. I’m making use of iCab 4 web browser for mac, and the header would not lineup fully. i am fairly certain I’ve made use of precisely the same design on a company’s internet site, but the menu seems alright on mine. I think the error is with my browser and I suppose it is time to update!

Izola Toyota April 7, 2011, 2:28 PM

Enjoyed studying this, very good stuff, thanks .

Adam Burish Jersey April 8, 2011, 1:04 AM

Wow, that looks so seemly!Perhaps you fool changed your keynote not too long ago? For all practical purposes because I could include sworn it was not the unchanging the previous age I was here…unless I am intelligent of a distinguishable net site.

Toms Coupon Code April 8, 2011, 2:34 PM

I loved reading this article I will make sure to tell my friends about this and link to it too. Thanks