Baby Formula Available in Chocolate Flavor?!

Looks like one maker of infant formula didn't get the GIANT childhood obesity memo ....

Baby and Chocolate
Worried your little baby isn't really enjoying her formula? Mead-Johnson, maker of Enfamil, is now selling formulas for toddlers in yummy chocolate and vanilla flavors.

Granted, the company says that their product, Enfagrow, is not intended for infants. (It's recommended for toddlers aged 12 to 36 months.) The company also insists that the mixture is a supplement rather than formula. Only one problem: On the can, it clearly says "Toddler Formula" -- not "Toddler Supplement." Uh oh.

If indeed you feel the need to supplement your toddler's nutrition, is a chocolate-infused drink really the best route? Mead-Johnson sure thinks so.
Enfagrow

"As your child grows from an infant to a toddler, he's probably becoming pickier about what he eats. Now more than ever, ensuring that he gets complete nutrition can be a challenge," says the product description on the Enfamil website.

Enfamil seems to be suggesting that if our kids don't want to eat healthy food, we should simply feed them a chocolate-laced drink instead. Not a great plan, considering that the National Center for Health Statistics indicates that 34 percent of Americans are obese, 32.7 percent are overweight and 6 percent are "extremely" obese. Gulp!

Given those sobering statistics, is it really a good idea to get our kids hooked on all things chocolate at the same time they're learning to walk? We think not.

jeanacoron May 2, 2010, 5:50 AM

solar rate routes conclusions made trends gross

Chocolate Factory May 2, 2010, 6:17 AM

How is this so different than chocolate Pediasure? Or Nesquick, Ovaltine, Carnation Instant Breakfast….? No one is suggesting you give your kid Hershey bars ‘round the clock. This article is a big fat over-reaction.

Christy May 2, 2010, 6:55 PM

It’s not an over-reaction! It says toddler FORMULA on the product! It is just another easy way out for lazy parents. Give them what they want… This is the reason our country is fat! It’s really sad these kids can’t make a good decision for themselves, that’s what we are for. I hope parents make good decisions but as we know some won’t. Manufacturers will only sale what people will buy. I say boycott this product along with a large list of others for the welfare of our children.

Toni May 3, 2010, 7:32 AM

Seriously? This just makes me mad! To the person that posted the comment about ovaltine and such, anyone that gives that to toddlers isn’t much of a parent. For older kids 4 up as an occasional “treat” is fine but that should be it.

Children won’t starve themselves and while I know parents need to choose our battles, proper nutrition and good wholesome food is one area you should never give in. If you start putting flavors in your very young child’s milk they will never develop a taste for anything that isn’t sweetened.

This is a gigantic mistake and I think Enfamil should be boycotted until they pull this rediculous product from the shelves. This is about as dumb a product as the baby cheese puffs.

Chocolate Factory May 3, 2010, 7:32 PM

I agree baby cheese puffs and pretty much any baby snack are completely unnecessary and devoid of all nutrition. Also, maybe I shouldn’t have lumped Ovaltine, etc. with chocolate formula, but I stand by my comparison to chocolate Pediasure, a nutritional drink marketed to toddlers (“picky eaters”.) And, just because I’m comparing the two doesn’t mean I approve of either. I’m not saying you should give these drinks to your toddler, I’m just saying that this chocolate formula is not the first and only of its kind.

Jeremy May 5, 2010, 4:54 PM

Relax with all this controversy. It’s a product parents will either choose to use or not. I might actually purchase a can to let my son try.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple as that, no one else cares what you think.

NitaBUCKNER May 14, 2010, 2:26 AM

I think that to get the personal loans from creditors you ought to have a firm reason. However, one time I have got a bank loan, just because I wanted to buy a bike.

Ryan June 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

This product is recommended for children 12-36 months of age. The product is intended to help parents with those awkward toddler years (as I call them the NO! years) where children’s tastes are always changing and they might refuse the formula (which by the way tastes horrible). I understand that children need the boost in nutrition in order to lead healthy lives. However, I don’t think this is the way to do it. It IS very difficult for parents to make sure their kids are eating right during this time period, but loading the formula down with sugar isn’t the solution. To be honest, I would have been interested in the vanilla flavor if it weren’t for all the sugar! Maybe if it had some vanilla extract in it to just slightly alter the flavor…but no…it has to taste like a vanilla latte. I see where Mead Johnson was going with this idea…but they really missed the mark. After buying a pack and tasting it myself I decided that there is no way i’m going to give this to my kid. My wife and I are not opposed to treats every now and then…when he is good…but this seems like its something that he is eventually going to be in the habit of getting and might throw a fit if he doesn’t. So why even start a problem by letting him try it? Yeah, its rough sometimes, but parents need to be looking out for their kids. They are going to be learning how to make good decisions from you.

Tracie June 7, 2010, 5:06 PM

A 12 month old does not need chocolate ANYTHING. This is disgusting.

steve June 9, 2010, 3:38 PM

Ryan hit the nail on the head…heres an idea, if you dont like it, DON’T BUY IT. No ones forcing you to put it in your kids mouth. Stop bickering. Its the constant bickering and complaining and blaming that has this society going downhill, not chocolate formula. Children are obese because they had chocolate formula, that makes me sick. Well of course it cant be the golden arches we see every 2 miles. And im not putting down mcdonalds, its not their fault, you need to learn to eat it in moderation. Baby formula or big macs, its not the foods fault, its the parents fault. Keep your mouths shut.

steve June 9, 2010, 3:39 PM

sorry it wasnt ryan, it was jeremy

Anne June 11, 2010, 11:21 AM

If you think the product is unhealthy then don’t buy it and give it to your child. Toddler’s only eat what they are given, they don’t usually prepare their own food! Take responsibility.

JJ June 12, 2010, 8:43 PM

My 5 year old really enjoyed drinking this, but she also enjoys regular formula as well. And nutritionally it’s far healthier than the majority of all juices and “healthy” drinks.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

jc June 18, 2010, 3:22 PM

I give this to my toddler son on recommendation of his pediatrician. We mix it with whole milk to help him gain weight.
This product does have benefits so before putting it down do the research.
We are healthy and active and do not find this harmful to our child.

Brenda Bathurst September 7, 2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks for sharing the link - but sadly it seems to be down? Does anyone have a mirror or another web link?

Olympus October 5, 2010, 9:05 AM

If you are looking also in behalf of a simple digital camera then the best arrive to look is most likely on the web. There are various reviews that proclaim you involving cameras and how they jobless and what type of features they have.
The only feeling is that with this strain of camera, your pictures may not be of great quality. The simpler it is the less precious it is. Consequently, the less valuable it is the less calibre your photos will-power be.
There are permanent qualities you requisite to look someone is concerned in a lucid digital camera.
1) Focus - You need to be inevitable that you are not having difficulties getting your shot in focus. How eager choose someone on the reverse motive of the camera drive be if they are set there waiting an eye to you to get the camera in focus.
2) LCD Screen- Your paravent should have the fated features to stretch what standard of picture you order to take. You should not be struck by a hard occasion irksome to figure if you are going to take a portrait, prospect, do you want lighting, is it a still, etc. Don’t you shrink from when you can’t statue the features out-dated on the screen?
3) Quality- Oblige convinced the reviews or site in which you are purchasing gives you previews of what your photos may look like. It is necessary to know the value of your photos before spending your hard earned money.
I recall outlay is also a main attraction you find grave when searching for the duration of a unsophisticated digital camera but I don’t socialize with the call in thriving into duty on this. Obviously you are current to search with a view the pre-eminent price.

chase online banking October 18, 2010, 7:31 PM

Just blowing some time on Digg and I found your post . Not normally what I prefer to learn about, but it was absolutely worth my time. Thanks.

James Maria October 24, 2010, 11:55 AM

It’s an easy.

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:56 PM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it might enhance my understanding.

Rigoberto Just October 25, 2010, 2:46 AM

I am constantly trying to find somebody to alternative articles with, I’m a scholar student and have a weblog right here on our campus website. The subject of this blog and writting fashion would definitely go great in some of my category’s, let me know in case you are up for this.