Confession: Julia Roberts Makes Us Feel Inadequate

Watching Julia Roberts on "Oprah," we couldn't help but feel a little inadequate. The woman sews her kids' clothes, never has a disparaging word to say about her children or her husband ... and just ran a half-marathon in her spare time.

Is she even human?! Here are the lines that made us wonder:

Julia Roberts on "Oprah"

She Took Kids to Eat, Pray, Love

Julia: "When Liz did her journey and wrote this book, she had a carry-on, and I had three children and about sixteen pieces of luggage. You know -- I've got the bags with snacks in it; I've got the bags with medicine in it." Oprah: "And you took them everywhere? You took them to eat, to pray, and to love?" Julia: "We did it all. We ate, we prayed A LOT, and loved infinitely. It was the only way to accomplish it really."

She Never Complains About Her Kids!

"They're so great and sweet and present. That's the thing about being new to the world ... you're just so present and impressed with everything. The older you get, the grumpier you get. 'We gotta get there -- we're gonna be late!' And they're in the car: 'Look at the trees!'"

Her Child Wakes Her Up at 5:30 ... and She Loves It

"Henry woke up the other morning and said, 'It's a beautiful day, Mama.' Which makes 5:30 A LOT prettier! You know, really!"

She Sews Her Kids' Clothes ... to Save Money?!

Julia: "I started taking a sewing class with my girlfriend Sydney because, I mean, kids' clothes are so expensive. And Hazel's dresses are really two pieces of fabric and just knowing how to sew it together ... She just recently asked me to buy her this apron and turn it into a farming dress for her. And I did, and she liked it, and that was a relief." Oprah: "Okay, so are you sewing because you want to just sew because it's soothing for you or are you trying to save money?" Julia: "It's soothing for me, it's fun ... I'm not necessarily just trying to save money but these are hard economical times for some of us, Oprah." Oprah: "Yes, I get it!"

She Lets Her Kids Shave Their Heads

"My kids were really into the culture of every place we went. Hazel wanted to shave her head, so I let her shave the back half of her head. They would chant, and they were just interested."

She Ran a Half-Marathon

"I ran a half-marathon. See how happy I was? I was so happy for thirteen-and-a-half miles. Who would have thought that could happen? ... It was a toy drive so I showed up with my Barbie in a box and put it in the bag, and ran. I was with two girlfriends. I just wanted to show my kids the power of a female body is more than just giving birth, which is a great power. And my kids were out there and they made me a sign and it was awesome!"

She's Found the Perfect Balance

Oprah: "Have you found the perfect balance? There was this one line [in a recent NY Times piece]: 'I am fulfilled by my own life on an hourly basis.'" Julia: "Well, it's nice ... here I am, I have this big family, and we appreciate each other. And we also inspire each other. And it's just really fascinating to me to be in this little biosphere of Moderville where we live and you just go, 'God, life's so cool if you can find that place where you can just watch it happen before your eyes.' I mean, we're just filled with gratitude in our house."

She Is Full of Love, Love, Love

"You can hear all the kids sleeping, breathing. [I'm] holding my husband's hand. Just knowing that tomorrow we get to do it all again." "I have a great family, the family I'm a part of as a sister and a daughter and just really close friends. Then, to get to translate that into being with Danny and our three children, that's the biggest love that you can have. One you almost can't contain."

She Worships Her Husband

"I sort of worship my husband. He really takes my breath away as a human."

next: Who Better To Sing Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Than a Baby?
Anonymous May 24, 2010, 6:39 PM

I was like “yeah right” with everything until I read that she is aware of the economical times being hard for everyone including her then it was like “STFU” What the hell does she know about how hard it is out here for “real people”. Jeez

Wendi May 24, 2010, 8:57 PM

Good for her, I am happy for her. She deserves it! She cherrishes what she has and I think we all could learn from her very positive outlook.

Danielle May 25, 2010, 5:54 AM

I definitely think like a child…..oh well. If you can juggle 3 kids under the age of 4 you can do anything!!

Beth May 25, 2010, 6:18 AM

Why feel inadequate? Feel inspired. I think she’s great. She loves her life? Good for her! I love my life too, it’s just different. Why should we feel the need to criticize? There’s way too much of that in the world. Celebrate those who are happy an fulfilled, it spreads.

Anonymous May 25, 2010, 6:39 AM

She’s an actress. She’s projecting a public image of herself. I read once that Julia Roberts always smiles in public so the paparazzi can never get ugly shots of her. She was on a TV show acting out a public image. Who knows what she’s really like or really thinks. And frankly, who cares?

kate May 25, 2010, 6:40 AM

I have found that everything this woman says about her love life and being a mommy just seems to undermine other women and make her sound so superior. It’s a kind of smugness that almost takes your breath away. One of my favorite smug lines of hers was when she was pregnant the first time. She said that she didn’t have morning sickness and explained that she was just from “good country stock,” as if those of us who did have morning sickness were from INFERIOR stock.

tara May 25, 2010, 6:43 AM

omgd. reading this just made me feel sick. seriously? thats awesome that you love your kids, life, husband etc, but who actually talks/acts like that.

Anonymous May 25, 2010, 8:16 AM

Sorry, but she doesn’t make me feel inadequate. I love my husband and kids too!

Rita May 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

She doesn’t make me feel inadequate. More power to her if she is that happy. I’m satisfied in my life and I’m past the point of comparing my life to others, especially people I’ve never met and probably never will.

Sure she has plenty of spare time, she most likely has a nanny, housekeeper, accountants to do all the grunge work for her so its easier for her to enjoy her family and never be stressed over the loads of laundry that seem to multiply by themselves while we’re asleep. It’s a public image she’s projecting, I’m sure she’s not happy all the freakin’ time! Who is? The Dalai Lama even has his moments!

Kelly May 25, 2010, 2:55 PM

phony, phony & more phony…
Frankly I am a little disturbed that I wasted 2 minutes reading this.

SS May 25, 2010, 8:03 PM

I agree that it’s easy to enjoy your life that much when you have the money to hire someone to clean your house, do your laundry, watch the kids when you need to go out, etc… It’s also really easy to enjoy your life when you’re a multimillionaire. I don’t begrudge her that, though.

I think that living in the spotlight like that must be difficult and she has to watch what she says. The media has a tendency to take celebrity quotes out of context and twist them around. If she’d said, “Sometimes I just need a break from my kids,” you know that some magazine out there would print, “Julia Roberts doesn’t love her children!!!” so I don’t blame her for only mentioning the positive.

I certainly have moments where I look at my husband and my child and feel like I’m the luckiest lady in the world. I just have them less often because I’m the one who cooks the meals, cleans the floors and does the laundry :)

LindsayWellington May 26, 2010, 6:52 AM

I think it is great that she is so happy. If she were to complain people would say “OMG, Julia Roberts doesn’t love her kids” or “How dare she complain when she’s rich or famous, she’s ungrateful.”

She seems very appreciative of everything she has in her life. I lost count of the number of times she said she realizes how fortunate she is, how appreciative she is, how grateful she is, I think that’s great - that she’s happy and appreciates that.

As far as the interview, if you’ve ever seen Julia, she is notoriously private about her personal life. She rarely ever talks about her kids or her family and that is why I think she talked about them so much on Oprah, because Oprah is a friend. Usually she gives one word answers because she reallly wants to protect them and her privacy.

This is the main question though:

Why should anyone but a ridiculously insecure person feel inadequate because of another person’s happiness? She said that there is chaos in the house, but it’s matched by moments of quietude.

Something is seriously WRONG with our society when we question or feel threatened by someone else’s happiness.

Nicole J. May 26, 2010, 12:33 PM

How can anything a celebrity says have an effect on how I feel about myself or my life?! Why should it?! I think she is just projecting an image and has her moments of doubt, guilt, anger, fear, etc. just like the rest of us. She’s human, no matter what she wants us to believe. And if this is authentically her, well then…awesome!

Sandra August 17, 2010, 11:15 AM

What a joke - she’s sewing her kids’ clothes because she knows how hard the economy is!! HAHA!! Yes, my polo pony got sick and that left me with only 8 other polo ponies. Oh the hardship. She makes $20 million a film. Get a grip, Jules.

Mary November 30, 2010, 9:47 AM

You’re a happy girl I have to say so I will.

oferta last minute December 3, 2010, 1:32 PM

Dude, gimme more!

psycholog Warszawa December 7, 2010, 4:29 AM

it was very interesting to read. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can? And you have an account on Twitter?

bulustrada December 8, 2010, 1:36 AM

What a great blog. I spend days on the internet reading blogs, about tons of different subjects. I have to first of all give kudos to whoever created your website and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an amazing post. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only a few posses and frankly you have it. The combination of informative and quality content is definitely extremely rare with the large amount of blogs on the internet.

działki Warszawa December 8, 2010, 2:41 AM

You should definately read more about this! Please!

Sauny December 9, 2010, 1:46 AM

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article