Cooking Up Murder?

susannah locketti and juan carlos cruz

momlogic's Susannah Locketti: I was both shocked and saddened to learn of the alleged murder-for-hire plot surrounding former Food Network chef Juan Carlos Cruz. In September of 2004, I got my start as a guest alongside Cruz on an episode of his then-Food Network show, "Calorie Commando." I was a newbie in the business and thrilled to be a guest. Juan was also new to the lineup. We were both low-calorie chefs, as I was hosting a local show at the time called "Decadent Delites." Seeing his face in court on TMZ.com is a sharp contrast to the Cruz I got to shoot an episode with.

Juan cooked up a baked version of "fried" chicken, along with a terrific lightened-up version of potato salad. He used a bunch of veggies, including radishes -- which I loved in his recipe. He had a genuine enthusiasm for his healthy approach to cooking, and I respected it thoroughly. Juan jumped around to get his energy level up prior to shooting. We had to do a few retakes, because he kept calling me "Savannah" instead of "Susannah," which ended up a joke in between takes. Juan was even gracious enough to pose for pics, which I pulled up on my computer yesterday.

After reading about the allegations against him, it seems shocking that this once-vibrant man could be accused of such a terrible crime against his wife. Cruz struck me as a fortunate individual in the field. Not many get to grace the Food Network airwaves, yet he pulled it off. He was also the owner of a successful catering company in California. You could tell he absolutely loved what he did. Yet I find myself asking the sad question, "How could someone with so much going for them be accused of something so awful?"

Perhaps it's the naive small-town girl in me. Or perhaps you never imagine a happy-go-lucky chef capable of something so evil. Yet here he stands, accused of this crime. I'll be watching his case unfold with an air of sadness as I recount his happier days in food television. Cruz is innocent until proven guilty, yet the charges against him appear so incriminating. I view this case as such a shame, because one of the few who was so lucky to do what he'd always wanted to do will be shamed in the business as a result -- even if he is eventually acquitted. For now, I choose to reflect on his happier days teaching me how to make unfried chicken and guilt-free potato salad.

next: Cate Blanchett Covers W Magazine
plank flooring February 17, 2011, 9:29 PM

I believe that one of your advertisements initiated my web browser to resize, you might well need to set up that on your blacklist.

jeux casino en ligne February 18, 2011, 2:54 AM

toddy Winonah tombes schirra goodhead craving raging reski blasted

balance a sous sans telechargement February 18, 2011, 9:13 AM

eldsaeter kitchell scooter searano lucic arnt romulans fendel curry

soluce machine a avec casino February 18, 2011, 7:41 PM

spot seidman hannant screamin kupsch fledgling bejac Poh-Soon korrina

resultats casino ligne les meilleurs sites February 19, 2011, 4:12 AM

corty quin slice cetrnaesti macganter Sally porgy takiji Rubina d8cd98f0

10 minute trainer February 20, 2011, 2:31 PM

This is often a fantastic weblog, could you be interested in working on an interview concerning just how you produced it? If so e-mail me!

10 minute trainer February 20, 2011, 5:08 PM

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the design of your website? It is very well written; I enjoy what you have got to state. But maybe you could create a a bit more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got a great deal of wording for only having one or two graphics. Maybe you can space it out better?

James Malinchak Scam Information February 20, 2011, 11:47 PM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

race of champions promotional code February 21, 2011, 4:03 AM

silvers chum goye stanitsin connotation kovacane hearer basile solvent d8cd98f0

snowmobile February 23, 2011, 7:37 PM

@chels I know what you mean, its hard to find good help these days. People now days just don’t have the work ethic they used to have. I mean consider whoever wrote this post, they must have been working hard to write that good and it took a good bit of their time I am sure. I work with people who couldn’t write like this if they tried, and getting them to try is hard enough as it is.

increase your salary February 26, 2011, 1:23 AM

This website is really good. How was it made .

Tecumseh Lawn Mower Parts February 27, 2011, 2:26 AM

After I open up your Feed it appears to be to be a ton of nonsense, is the issue on my part?

Tony Horton March 11, 2011, 9:08 PM

Just discovered this site thru Yahoo, what a way to brighten up my year!

harmony rocket guitar March 14, 2011, 2:38 AM

Although I truly like this post, I believe there was an punctuational error close towards the end of the third paragraph.

website March 14, 2011, 3:51 AM

I had been wanting to know if you ever considered adjusting the layout of your site? Its very well written; I really like what you have got to say. But maybe you could add a little more in the way of content so people can connect to it better. You have got an awful lot of wording for only having one or two graphics. Maybe you can space it out better?

jogging strollers March 18, 2011, 10:32 AM

Is it okay to place a portion of this in my personal website if perhaps I post a reference to this site?

30 second smile March 22, 2011, 9:20 PM

I Am Going To have to return again when my course load lets up - nonetheless I am getting your Feed so i can read your internet site offline. Thanks.

dating sites March 24, 2011, 6:07 PM

Have you thought about adding some differing opinions to your article? I think it might enhance my understanding.

click here April 1, 2011, 11:32 PM

Just to let you know your webpage looks a little bit different in Firefox on my notebook with Linux .

click April 4, 2011, 10:36 PM

Wanted to drop a comment and let you know your Feed isn’t functioning today. I tried including it to my Google reader account and got absolutely nothing.