Dad Shot and Killed After Placing Craigslist Ad

James Sanders of Edgewood, Washington, put an ad on Craigslist for a 1.07-carat diamond ring, with an asking price of $1,050. (He had sold items on Craigslist before.)

A couple came by to look at the ring, but then pulled a gun on James and his wife, Charlene. Then two other intruders entered the home.

"I could feel rushing around," Charlene told Meredith Vieira on "Today." "My husband and I were looking at each other, panicking, saying, 'Just take it, take it, take anything you want.' We just kept chanting it: 'Take it.' Then all of a sudden we're getting zip-tied and put down on the floor in the kitchen. I could tell that people had been rushing in."

The intruders went upstairs and brought down Sanders' sons, Jimmy, 14, and Chandler, 10. Then they shot and killed James -- right in front of his family.

Four people have been arrested in connection with the case and charged with a number of crimes, including first-degree murder. The suspects have been identified as Clabon Terrel Berniard, 23, Amanda Knight, 21, Kiyoshi Higashi, 22, and Joshua Reese, 20.

Charlene says that if you are selling something on Craigslist, DO NOT let the buyers come to your home. Meet them in the police-station parking lot, she suggests.

For Internet safety expert Lori Getz's tips on buying something safely on Craigslist, click here.

Our heart goes out to the Sanders family in this tragic time.

Do you buy or sell things on Craigslist?

next: Miss USA Pageant Posts Racy Images
Rita May 11, 2010, 1:23 PM

I feel for this family, and with all due respect to the dead, WTF was he thinking putting an ad like that on Craigslist? I wouldn’t buy anything on Craigslist, you don’t know what you’re getting until you actually see it in person, and who knows what the person selling it is like. I’m not saying he deserved to be killed, but that was pretty stupid, putting something of that value on a site like Craigslist.

Nicole May 11, 2010, 1:47 PM

Rita I would like to think that he thought he lived in a world were he would not get shot for putting a item on craigslist. Blame should not be put on the innocent victims. People put their homes, cars, RVs on craigslist. I would not consider a thousand dollar ring a large item. God bless this family.

Louise May 11, 2010, 2:27 PM

Nicole, I agree, this was a really nice guy who had put items on Craigs List before and never had a problem. A $1,000 ring is not a big ticket item.

I agree this clearly was not the victims fault. My heart goes out to the family, I saw his wife on the Today Show this morning and my heart just sank, this is such a wonderful family.

Nicole, I’ve seen houses, cars, large diamond rings (retail value over $10,000) etc. advertised on Craigs List.

My heart truly goes out to this family.

Anon May 11, 2010, 6:30 PM

they totally screwed up

luvz2skialot May 11, 2010, 6:54 PM

In this case I believe justice should be defined as an eye for an eye. In other words take all the people responsible for this tragedy and KICK THEM IN THE HEAD REALLY HARD AND THEN SHOOT THEM IN THE SAME MANNER THE HUSBAND WAS SHOT!!!
TEXAS JUSTICE!!!!gotta love it!

Danielle May 13, 2010, 5:49 AM

This is SO sad!!! Seriously, you find out peoples true colors when things get tough….but this is so uncalled for!!!!!!!